Big Ten football coaches who are on the hot seat in the 2024 season (#1. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

Per Ericka:

1. P.J. Fleck​

P.J. Fleck might have already peaked in his time at Minnesota. After winning 11 games in 2019, he has back-to-back nine-win seasons in 2021 and 2022, but then fell hard in 2023 with a 6-7 record. As a coach, you typically want to see the number of wins go up not down.

Unfortunately for Fleck, Minnesota also does not look like they are going to be very competitive in 2024 with the level of competition only getting better with the addition of the four Pac-12 teams. Fleck is probably already feeling his seat heating up with the decline of play by the Golden Gophers in the last few years.

If Minnesota is not bowl-eligible in 2024, fleck could be out of a job by the end of the season due to the decline of play.

So don't worry Badger fans, Luke Fickell isn't on this list, but he needs to take a step forward in 2024 to help with job security and to show he can play in the big leagues of power conferences.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Ericka

Badger fans are convinced Minnesota can't compete in the new B1G but they can (I saw on Twitter a couple of them think we can't do better than the Pinstripe Bowl moving forward). Absolutely zero reason why this is true. We're doing fine in NIL and the portal, and I can't think of many long-term advantages they have over us. This season is crucial for Fleck to show he can still move the boat forward, however.
I think they have a lot of advantages. Better history over past 30 years, more attractive campus, not competitive with pro sports, and and a better stadium.

All that being said, I think NIL is the biggest factor, and PJ and DTA seem to be holding their own there

I think they have a lot of advantages. Better history over past 30 years, more attractive campus, not competitive with pro sports, and and a better stadium.

All that being said, I think NIL is the biggest factor, and PJ and DTA seem to be holding their own there
The “more attractive campus” piece is certainly debatable, but “a better stadium???”

In what way(s) would you say that Camp Randall is better than Huntington Bank Stadium?

I don't think that this is an outrageous take. I don't think he's number one on the list, but I could see top five. If Fleck didn't have the offseason he has had, then his seat would probably be pretty warm. Yes, a lot of things went south last year that were out of his control and contributed to the less than stellar record. However, there were multiple times where Fleck's in-game coaching contributed to losing very winnable games.

Not true. A bad QB last season cost the team. Fleck is a good coach. He is not in trouble.

On the other hand, the menacing new Big Ten will be tough. The next THREE seasons are important.
Agree. He's not in immediate trouble. Next two or three years will determine his fate. I don't follow the "hot assistant/mid-major coach" discussion at all, so I don't know who would be on the list to possibly replace him.

Hot seat with who? Coyle—no way. A lot of folks who suffered through a really shitty year last year- for sure. Don’t want a repeat of that garbage.

This is one of those stories where I think it reflects the author's own (perhaps less dramatic) feelings about their own coach ... projected on other teams.

The “more attractive campus” piece is certainly debatable, but “a better stadium???”

In what way(s) would you say that Camp Randall is better than Huntington Bank Stadium?
Your right it could be debated. I graduated from MN in 1998, and spent a lot of time in Madison with my HS buddies. IMO its a way better college atmosphere and the campus is a lot nicer than MN, but thats my opinion.

Camp Randall is bigger, has a more dedicated fan base, and is the centerpiece of the city on game day. Anyone can debate it and thats cool, its just one mans opinion, but I do think being the only game in town has some advantages.

I'm jelly of the success WI football has had and their gameday atmosphere, but Camp Randall is a turd of stadium. Old terrible design with only about 35k decent seats out of 75k

Your right it could be debated. I graduated from MN in 1998, and spent a lot of time in Madison with my HS buddies. IMO its a way better college atmosphere and the campus is a lot nicer than MN, but thats my opinion.

Camp Randall is bigger, has a more dedicated fan base, and is the centerpiece of the city on game day. Anyone can debate it and thats cool, it’s just one mans opinion, but I do think being the only game in town has some advantages.
Madison has two reasons to exist. It’s Wisconsin’s capitol and home of their one public university. I’ve always liked the university layout and feel. But Camp Randall has never been a great stadium. The Bank is the way a stadium should be. Yes, it’s on the small side but it is the right size for the crowds.

Madison has two reasons to exist. It’s Wisconsin’s capitol and home of their one public university. I’ve always liked the university layout and feel. But Camp Randall has never been a great stadium. The Bank is the way a stadium should be. Yes, it’s on the small side but it is the right size for the crowds.
We can agree to disagree on that one. I like The Bank, its a good time and a nice stadium.

We can agree to disagree on that one. I like The Bank, its a good time and a nice stadium.
I think if you consistently sellout any B1G stadium (except Northwestern’s old stadium) it will be a great fan experience. But that doesn’t make the same stadium great on its own.

It must be really hard to be a football coach. As much as some of them say "I don't pay attention to the media" this kind of BS has to get old. Some 8th grader in Madison, WI who was likely cut from the junior high soccer team can take out their frustrations by publishing garbage like this, and people actually read it.
56er’s!

Goose foie gras will be served at the end of the season.

Per Ericka:

1. P.J. Fleck​

P.J. Fleck might have already peaked in his time at Minnesota. After winning 11 games in 2019, he has back-to-back nine-win seasons in 2021 and 2022, but then fell hard in 2023 with a 6-7 record. As a coach, you typically want to see the number of wins go up not down.

Unfortunately for Fleck, Minnesota also does not look like they are going to be very competitive in 2024 with the level of competition only getting better with the addition of the four Pac-12 teams. Fleck is probably already feeling his seat heating up with the decline of play by the Golden Gophers in the last few years.

If Minnesota is not bowl-eligible in 2024, fleck could be out of a job by the end of the season due to the decline of play.

So don't worry Badger fans, Luke Fickell isn't on this list, but he needs to take a step forward in 2024 to help with job security and to show he can play in the big leagues of power conferences.

Go Gophers!!
This type of article reminds me of articles like the one "Front Office Sports" put out with allegations of a toxic culture inside the MN program. The first thing many people asked was who the hell is Front Office Sports and why are we paying attention to them. Yet, in today's world many had no trouble running with it in the media. This is basically the same thing. If you have a website or throw a podcast up on YouTube then apparently you're a journalist.

One part of this bad take is that so many B1G coaches are Year 1 or Year 2. PJ is now 3rd most tenured (of 18) as a B1G coach with his current program. If the writer assumes all HCs get 3 years that disqualifies a lot of guys who might not make it long term.

Most rankings-of-coaches lists are also heavily biased that the coach with the best record is the best coach and the safest (Ryan Day, not true) and don't adjust for program resources and expectations.

This leaves PJ in a spot as the dean of coaches of teams that didn't make a NYD bowl last year and thus seems vulnerable to a superficial analysis.

100% not clicking that link to see the list because no way I am going to support garbage like that with a click.

But Fleck at #1.....give me a break. If the team really struggles in 2024 then maybe Fleck's seat is warm heading into next year.....but at this point Fleck's seat is not warm, nor should it be.
I agree, the next couple years will be interesting with conference additions and not a time to be shuffling coaches.

Top Bottom