Big Ten Extends Footprint with Two from Texas

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
Texas AD DeLoss Dodds, in a late night interview, has announced that Texas and Texas A&M have been given an invitation to apply for Big Ten membership.

"We are very excited about this opportunity," Dodds said, "both in terms of academics and athletics."

Big Ten Commissioner released this statement last night as well, "The Big Ten is expanding its footprint in a very dramatic way. This move will open new doors for our conference."

Analysts and bloggers across the country have suspected the Big Ten's interest in Texas was very real since Delany announced plans to explore expansion options in December.

"Texas and Texas A&M gives us access to something that most thought was out of our reach -- access to the letter T" Delany said.

The Big Ten footprint is relatively small compared to some other conferences, having a presence in only 6 of the 26 letters: I, M, N, O, P, and W. By comparison, the highly competitive SEC has 9 letters in its broad footprint: A, F, G, K, L, M, S, T, V.

Of course, the motivation behind expansion has always been about two things: Television money, and Talent pools, both of which start with the letter T. Texas and its partner A&M will provide that, and then some.

"We are willing to deal with all of the baggage that comes from Texas and the letter T." Delany elaborated, "namely the Trailer Trash Texas football fans, who are mostly a bunch of Tools."

Also reached for comment was Minnesota head football coach, Tim Brewster. "I'm very excited about the new additions." With a genuine sigh of relief, he went on, "Now when I use the word 'Tremendous' to describe everything, people will finally take me seriously. I knew it was off-limits to Big Ten coaches, but I got so used to throwing that word around when I was at Texas, that I couldn't help myself."

The Big Ten has already added Nebraska and looks to add Notre Dame, but that does not expand the footprint of the conference very much, given that Northwestern has been a member since the founding of the conference in 1896.

But the Big Ten is not the only one who benefits from this new relationship. Dodds mentioned the University of Texas is also willing to expand its influence in the sports world: "We found one of the benefits of joining the Big Ten was the letter I. With three I schools, they pretty much have that steer roped in, as we like to say. We will look into building an Ice hockey rink here in Austin in the near future."

When asked why Iowa State couldn't help the Big 12 gain a hockey team, Dodds replied: "Well that was part of the motivation for joining the old Big Eight schools in the first place. It turns out that Iowa State did not bring much I power into the Big 12 fold. They were always basically useless."

The people of Texas have known for about 20 years now that Texas is a much better place for Ice hockey than places like Minnesota. It is assumed that if Texas cannot form their own Ice hockey team, they will consider buying out one of the Minnesota teams and moving them to Austin.

"Truly Tremendously exciting Times." Brewster concluded with a big smile on his face.

Indeed they are.

Top Bottom