Big Ten Bowls announced today

ulfr

Sisyphean Spermophile
Reaction score
Looks like the scoop is that Brewster gets 4 chances to play on News Year Day next year as the Big Ten is picking up the Gator Bowl in addition to the Texas Bowl and a unnamed bowl to be played in the Cotton Bowl. We are dropping the Champs Sports (or as we once knew it MicronPC.com) bowl and the Alamo Bowl.
link link
All in all I like the moves and have plenty of transplanted family in Dallas, Phoenix, and Houston to mooch off of so it is a plus.

Something to think about at least while I sit on my hands at the next game :p

From Adam Rittenberg:

Gator Bowl to pair Big Ten with SEC, not ACC

Thanks to several of you for pointing out that the new Gator Bowl agreement will pair the Big Ten with an opponent from the SEC, not the ACC, as I reported earlier.

When negotiations heated up during the summer, it looked like a Big Ten-ACC matchup in the Jacksonville game, but the Gator Bowl last week announced an agreement with the SEC and the Big Ten.

My mistake on that one. I blame Big Ten tunnel vision.

This will give the Big Ten three Jan. 1 bowl matchups against the SEC leading up to the Rose Bowl. Though the league's reputation will be determined by its results in BCS games, the Big Ten can earn some bragging rights against the SEC with wins in the Florida bowls.

The Big Ten will make its official bowl announcement Tuesday.

So here is the rundown:
1. Rose/BCS vs. Pac-10/BCS
2. Capital One vs. SEC
3. Outback vs. SEC
4 or 5. Gator vs. SEC
4 or 5. Insight vs. Big 12
6. Texas vs. Big 12
7. New bowl in Dallas vs. Big 12 or Conference USA
8. Little Caesar's Pizza vs. MAC

Personally, I wish we would mix it up a bit more; Our top-3 non-BCS bowls versus SEC teams:confused: with the possibility of our BCS team playing an SEC BCS team.
I liked the Sun Bowl matchup with a #5 BT team versus a #3 or #4 PACX team. I'd like to see at least 1 game versus the ACC and versus the Big East and at least 2 games versus the Pac10. But it looks like this will be the bowl lineup until at least 2015.

i like this...and then i dont ...

Few thoughts....

1) how many times have we had 8 6-6 teams or better? Seems like the detroit bowl will never get a BT team. They rarely got one before.
Tha said Dallas beats the pants off of Detroit. Good job BT!

2) If Brewster is successful ...I hope and believe he will be...having more games near me in north Texas doesn't do me any good. :) I'd prefer New Years day and a top3 Big Ten finish.

Go Gophers!

Now that it's going to be leaving the rotation, if the Gophers can get bowl eligible and finish middle of the pack in the Big 10 I wouldn't mind an invite to the Alamo Bowl. I know a lot of fans here don't care for the Alamo Bowl because of being jilted by them in the past but San Antonio could be a fun trip.

That being said, I've been a Gopher fan long enough to realize that you should never count your chickens before they hatch. So right now I would be happy with any bowl game (although Detroit on the day after Christmas would be barely better than no bowl at all, IMO).

This is the chance the BT needs to make up for the past 6 or so years and gain back some respectability. At least we know the highlights of these games will actually be on Sportscenter, becuase as we all know by now, the SEC is the BEST AND NO CONFERENCE CAN MATCH THEM, haha gotta love espn sellin out.

Hum? The Cotton Bowl will not be played in Cotton Bowl Stadium.

Hum? The Cotton Bowl will not be played in Cotton Bowl Stadium.

Sign of the times. I think the last time the Orange Bowl was played in the Orange Bowl was about 10 years ago.

This is why I hate sports commentators and analysts. These people speculated, as though it were fact, that the Big Ten was working to make it's postseason schedule easier. It actually looks like it may be more difficult.

I don't belive in scaling back the intensity or turning away money. So I like it. Anyone who knows anything about the sport isn't about to be impressed by conferences that accumulate a nice "conference winning percetage" by beating a bunch of 6-6 Sunbelt teams that have no business calling themselves D1-FBS.

But shouldn't the "perception is reality" crowd be piping up here?

Few thoughts....

1) how many times have we had 8 6-6 teams or better? Seems like the detroit bowl will never get a BT team. They rarely got one before.

2007 demonstrated that the Big Ten needed more tie-ins. In 2007, Northwestern and Iowa were both 6-6 and got left out of bowl games. Alabama was 6-6 and got to play in the Independence Bowl. Having the tie-in at least gives a 6-6 Big Ten team priority over other 6-6 teams if it comes down to it.

Does anyone know what teams from each conference we play? Is it like Big Ten #2 vs SEC #2? I'm hoping we play like finishes in each conference because I'm a little weary of playing something like Big Ten #3 vs Big 12 #2, or whatever it was before.

Question 2: Does anyone know the TV tie ins with the new bowl list. I'm hoping non of them are on the NFL network or some other network that is harder to find a video feed for. The more ABC family, NBC, CBS coverage we get, the better for recruiting.

Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl has to be the worst name since the Gaylord Bowl.

yep....it's being played at Jerry World...otherwise known at the Death Star.

New Cowboys stadium.

5 New Years Day Bowls?! Woohoo

A week after Christmas let it be know far and wide that there is a new holiday. Big Ten Football day!

1. Rose/BCS vs. Pac-10/BCS, Jan. 1
2. Capital One vs. SEC, Jan. 1
3. Outback vs. SEC, Jan. 1
4/5. Gator vs. SEC, Jan. 1
4/5. Insight vs. Big 12, Dec. 31
6. Texas vs. Big 12, late December
7. Dallas Football Classic vs. Conference USA/Big 12, Jan. 1

Brewster will bring this program to its first January Football in 40 years, I guarantee it!

Good to see exposure in just about every major recruiting market in Texas and Florida as well.

The shocker though is the Motor City-cum-Caesar's-Pizza Bowl representatives are holding out. Who are they going to get to go to Detroit for Christmas? The SEC? HA! I know there are long odds of there being 8 BigTen teams bowl eligible year in and year out but I would think that the bowl isn't likely to find BCS conferences tripping over themselves to play in Detroit for the Holidays.

Rittenberg's story

A week after Christmas let it be know far and wide that there is a new holiday. Big Ten Football day!

1. Rose/BCS vs. Pac-10/BCS, Jan. 1
2. Capital One vs. SEC, Jan. 1
3. Outback vs. SEC, Jan. 1
4/5. Gator vs. SEC, Jan. 1
4/5. Insight vs. Big 12, Dec. 31
6. Texas vs. Big 12, late December
7. Dallas Football Classic vs. Conference USA/Big 12, Jan. 1

Brewster will bring this program to its first January Football in 40 years, I guarantee it!
story_id=3371808"]Rittenberg's story[/URL]

Looks like Brewster's incentives just got a little easier to reach. Adding bowls on NYD could net him an extra $75,000 just based on the date of a game...not a bad deal for coach.

Sign of the times. I think the last time the Orange Bowl was played in the Orange Bowl was about 10 years ago.

Well I certainly hope they don't try to move back to the Orange Bowl!

Orange_Bowl_Demolition.JPG

New Year's Day game in the Cotton Bowl! :D

Well, not in the Cotton Bowl game, but in the Cotton Bowl Statium...

Looks like Brewster's incentives just got a little easier to reach. Adding bowls on NYD could net him an extra $75,000 just based on the date of a game...not a bad deal for coach.

I don't mind that the number of bowl games are increasing. But it does bother me that half of them seem to be played on New Year's Day. Not only does that water down the value of the Jan. 1 games, it leaves fewer games for the week to ten days leading up to that. Watching games on Jan. 1 is almost like any other Saturday now. That's not bad, but it's not special.

It may water down the value of being able to say you played on New Year's Day, but it doesn't water down the value of the more prestigious bowls. It just means you need more information before you can assess the statement. Perhaps dividing the bowls into tiers would be provide more valuable information: BCS bowls at the top tier, the top non-BCS bowls being second tier, and so on.

Top Bottom