Big Ten Basketball: 5 early breakout candidates for 2024-25 season (Kadyn Betts, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tommy:

Kadyn Betts, Minnesota​

The longshot on this list, Kadyn Betts is a name I firmly believe could surprise quite a few folks in the Big Ten this winter.

Betts, a 6'8" small forward who came to the Gophers from the state of Colorado, was originally part of the Class of 2023 before reclassifying and joining the team early. After a redshirt year, Betts saw his first action with the Gophers last season, albeit sparingly, playing in just eight games total. The bulk of that playing time came in the weak non-conference, playing just two minutes in the Big Ten schedule all season against Penn State.

So, why do I envision a major jump for Betts in 2024-25? For one thing, the redshirt sophomore has all the tools, with a blend of size, versatility, and playmaking. But more importantly, Minnesota's departures through the portal open up ample playing time at the wing spot. Braeden Carrington, Joshua Ola-Joseph, and Cam Christie are all set to play elsewhere in 2024-25, with Christie still undecided about potentially taking his talents to the pros.

Ben Johnson and staff did respond by bringing in Femi Odukale from New Mexico State, who will be on his fourth college program this winter. Odukale will bring experience to the equation, and he's proven to be rock-solid during past pit stops with NMSU, Seton Hall, and Pittsburgh, but at this point in his career, we know what he is. While he is solid, he doesn't offer the potential of Betts and considering how Johnson has raved about Betts in the past, I think he'll increasingly turn to the younger, higher upside option.

Go Gophers!!

A Classic example of a developmental player. A rare thing in today’s CB. Thus far it’s been two years of obscurity and barely a glimpse of his potential. Betts is sticking with Ben which is a good sign and good choice by Betts. He would be on a remote island if he decided to transfer out. Maybe his hard work and dedication will manifest itself in a good way. Hope he gets a chance to showcase then who knows what’s next!

Betts is a massive wild card for the 24/25 Gopher squad. If he can become a key contributor (especially on offense) it would be a huge boost to the team and their prospects.

I know there are many here that have closed the book on him because he hasn't done much in his first 2 years, but he is the age of a player entering their sophomore year so it is still possible it clicks for him.

Tough to bank on it but we also had people writing off Fox (albeit for different reasons) heading into last year and he became a key part of the squad. Ben desperately needs Betts to pan out....if it is going to happen it would seem likely that 24/25 would be the breakout year for him.

Betts is a massive wild card for the 24/25 Gopher squad. If he can become a key contributor (especially on offense) it would be a huge boost to the team and their prospects.

I know there are many here that have closed the book on him because he hasn't done much in his first 2 years, but he is the age of a player entering their sophomore year so it is still possible it clicks for him.

Tough to bank on it but we also had people writing off Fox (albeit for different reasons) heading into last year and he became a key part of the squad. Ben desperately needs Betts to pan out....if it is going to happen it would seem likely that 24/25 would be the breakout year for him.
He's still buried right now. I'm looking for him to breakout next season 25/26 when there are a ton of minutes available. Surprises are always welcome!

He's still buried right now. I'm looking for him to breakout next season 25/26 when there are a ton of minutes available. Surprises are always welcome!

I haven't seen the "breakout" potential that this author anticipates but then I haven't had many opportunities to see Betts at all.

I agree that with all the 4th and 5th year players on the roster he will have to show something special to see significant playing time.

Per Tommy:

Kadyn Betts, Minnesota​

The longshot on this list, Kadyn Betts is a name I firmly believe could surprise quite a few folks in the Big Ten this winter.

Betts, a 6'8" small forward who came to the Gophers from the state of Colorado, was originally part of the Class of 2023 before reclassifying and joining the team early. After a redshirt year, Betts saw his first action with the Gophers last season, albeit sparingly, playing in just eight games total. The bulk of that playing time came in the weak non-conference, playing just two minutes in the Big Ten schedule all season against Penn State.

So, why do I envision a major jump for Betts in 2024-25? For one thing, the redshirt sophomore has all the tools, with a blend of size, versatility, and playmaking. But more importantly, Minnesota's departures through the portal open up ample playing time at the wing spot. Braeden Carrington, Joshua Ola-Joseph, and Cam Christie are all set to play elsewhere in 2024-25, with Christie still undecided about potentially taking his talents to the pros.

Ben Johnson and staff did respond by bringing in Femi Odukale from New Mexico State, who will be on his fourth college program this winter. Odukale will bring experience to the equation, and he's proven to be rock-solid during past pit stops with NMSU, Seton Hall, and Pittsburgh, but at this point in his career, we know what he is. While he is solid, he doesn't offer the potential of Betts and considering how Johnson has raved about Betts in the past, I think he'll increasingly turn to the younger, higher upside option.

Go Gophers!!
I really hope he takes another step forward. Was relatively concerning he couldn't earn minutes over Carrington down the stretch.

I really hope he takes another step forward. Was relatively concerning he couldn't earn minutes over Carrington down the stretch.
Neither could JOJ or Ihnen. Also Carrington is a guard, Betts is a forward. He was competing more with JOJ, Ihnen, Garcia, Payne, and Fox for minutes. Not really that concerning at all. Carrington had to play as the team only had 4 guards on the roster last year.

Neither could JOJ or Ihnen. Also Carrington is a guard, Betts is a forward. He was competing more with JOJ, Ihnen, Garcia, Payne, and Fox for minutes. Not really that concerning at all. Carrington had to play as the team only had 4 guards on the roster last year.
Not trying to be nitpicking but you saying JOJ or Ihnen couldn't get minutes is a direct contradiction of your next statement. Let's not act like a forward can't play the 2 spot since Carrington couldn't hit water from a boat on offense and he'd also regularly sub in for the 3 spot.

Not trying to be nitpicking but you saying JOJ or Ihnen couldn't get minutes is a direct contradiction of your next statement. Let's not act like a forward can't play the 2 spot since Carrington couldn't hit water from a boat on offense and he'd also regularly sub in for the 3 spot.
My point was that JOJ/Ihnen are thought of as better than Betts (at least for last season) and they couldn't get minutes at the end of the year, so how was Betts going to play? JOJ/Ihnen are the closest comps on the team to Betts as they are all probably best suited for the 4 but can play some on the outside. Carrington is a guard regardless of the shooting struggles and no one would comp him to Betts.

I don't know if there are any more minutes this year than last. There are probably fewer with Parker being less of a question mark this year than last.

I kind of get the feeling the author thinks he's a 3. Hopefully that continues to not happen.

Top Bottom