Big STrib profile: Out of nowhere: U football player comes from dusty Calif outpost

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Great profile by Joe Christensen:

Cedric Thompson retraced some of the steps that led him from L.A. to a dusty California outpost to, finally, the Gophers football team.

Thompson made a smooth transition from high school running back to college defensive back. He played seven games as a true freshman and emerged as a starter last year. He is still a workout fiend and roams the field now as a 5-10, 210-pound force.

“You see a guy who has grown up into a man,” Sawvel said. “I expect him to have a very good year this year.”

Thompson wore No. 27 his first two years with the Gophers, but this year he is switching to No. 2. He’s also going to add “Jr.” to the name on the back of his jersey, honoring his dad. A conversation with his father also inspired Thompson to get a lion’s face tattooed onto his left forearm.

“My dad’s not a real emotional person; he kind of just keeps everything to himself,” Thompson said. “But one day, we were on the phone and he said, ‘You’re the lion of the family. A lion is someone who leads his family, leads the pack, and you’re the first one out. You’re doing exactly what you need to do.’ ”

Thompson hopes to make enough money after he graduates, from the NFL or elsewhere, to open a program at Jesse Owens Park to help young athletes get into college. He looks back on his own experiences — with no ACT preparatory class, for example — knowing how much he would have appreciated the same guidance.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/214505161.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I was excited about this kid the moment I saw his highlight video.

If there was ever a poster child for the Kill recruiting approach, this kid is it.

Thanks for posting the story. It makes it easy to root for Thompson Jr.!

One of the most inspiring sports articles I've ever read. Cedric is my new favorite player on the team. I'm sure there are many more stories like this, and it would be amazing if our media wrote more profile pieces such as this one so we could generate more of an attachment to the players. I guess it's easier, though, to just write a couple hundred words ripping the team's lack of success.

One of the most inspiring sports articles I've ever read. Cedric is my new favorite player on the team. I'm sure there are many more stories like this, and it would be amazing if our media wrote more profile pieces such as this one so we could generate more of an attachment to the players. I guess it's easier, though, to just write a couple hundred words ripping the team's lack of success.

+1

I've always thought the beat writers at the Strib generally do a pretty good job. This piece written by Joe C. wasn't very good...it was excellent. He paints a great picture of the young man's background and the environment he grew up in. Really interesting to hear the part about his old man refusing to discuss his checkered past or have his picture taken, only wanting to focus on Cedric. Nice little history lesson about the Salton Sea too.

I keep reminding myself to watch the documentary Cedric has on Netflix. I'll get around to that one of these days.

Great profile by Joe Christensen:

Cedric Thompson retraced some of the steps that led him from L.A. to a dusty California outpost to, finally, the Gophers football team.

Thompson made a smooth transition from high school running back to college defensive back. He played seven games as a true freshman and emerged as a starter last year. He is still a workout fiend and roams the field now as a 5-10, 210-pound force.

“You see a guy who has grown up into a man,” Sawvel said. “I expect him to have a very good year this year.”

Thompson wore No. 27 his first two years with the Gophers, but this year he is switching to No. 2. He’s also going to add “Jr.” to the name on the back of his jersey, honoring his dad. A conversation with his father also inspired Thompson to get a lion’s face tattooed onto his left forearm.

“My dad’s not a real emotional person; he kind of just keeps everything to himself,” Thompson said. “But one day, we were on the phone and he said, ‘You’re the lion of the family. A lion is someone who leads his family, leads the pack, and you’re the first one out. You’re doing exactly what you need to do.’ ”

Thompson hopes to make enough money after he graduates, from the NFL or elsewhere, to open a program at Jesse Owens Park to help young athletes get into college. He looks back on his own experiences — with no ACT preparatory class, for example — knowing how much he would have appreciated the same guidance.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/214505161.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

It is a great story indeed. If you ever get the chance, drive by the Salton Sea. A very interesting and sad, sad place.

Good story, although growing up in rural MN, my 1.5 hour bus ride to/from school everyday somehow didn't affect my grades or wear me down.

Good story, although growing up in rural MN, my 1.5 hour bus ride to/from school everyday somehow didn't affect my grades or wear me down.

After seeing the documentary, I think it was more the desolation and hopelessness of living in Bombay Beach that wore him down.

Hey Parski, +1 on that.

Agreed, and I encourage people to email Joe C and the sports editor to let them know you appreciated the piece. Like someone said earlier in the thread, these are the kinds of articles we need!

Best story about a Gopher player I've seen since Tinsley's passing. Great, great article.

BTW, #GT51 Just cause.

Agreed, and I encourage people to email Joe C and the sports editor to let them know you appreciated the piece. Like someone said earlier in the thread, these are the kinds of articles we need!

Yes, definitely an excellent read. I re-read it again this morning. I would also encourage people to let Joe C know via Twitter or whatever medium you choose to use about how much you enjoyed the article. Awesome job on a great story by Joe C!

articles like this display the fairness of the scholarship being fair compensation.

Top Bottom