big name coaches

Reaction score
Just looking to spruce up discussion on coaches and their backgrounds. While Nick Saban was a big-name hire that worked out, I can think of Rich Rod @ Michigan that didn't. Also, was Florida's success from Urban Meyer or Tim Tebow? Time will tell. Can anyone else add anything? Was Pete Carrol a big-name hire at USC or not really? Steve Spurrier really hasn't done much at South Carolina. And Butch Davis at NC? Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame?

I guess I just see more big-name hires not work. Can someone throw out some names to the contrary?

Carroll wasn't really that much of a big name hire at USC. He was much more a shot in the dark type hire, after spending the prior 18 years in the NFL, with his only head coaching experience there being an unsuccessful year long stint with the Jets, from which he was fired after the 1994 season.

He was much more accomplished than Tim Brewster was when he hired him, but had the same type of uncertainties as Brew did. You always have that type of uncertainty with an NFL guy going back to coach the college ranks, and it was the same sort of deal as when Indiana hired Cam Cameron. He was very accomplished and talented, but he just didn't have what it took to win at Indiana.

Long story short, USC got very lucky with Pete Carroll. He was hardly a 'kill-shot' hire.

Carroll wasn't really that much of a big name hire at USC. He was much more a shot in the dark type hire, after spending the prior 18 years in the NFL, with his only head coaching experience there being an unsuccessful year long stint with the Jets, from which he was fired after the 1994 season.

He was much more accomplished than Tim Brewster was when he hired him, but had the same type of uncertainties as Brew did. You always have that type of uncertainty with an NFL guy going back to coach the college ranks, and it was the same sort of deal as when Indiana hired Cam Cameron. He was very accomplished and talented, but he just didn't have what it took to win at Indiana.

Long story short, USC got very lucky with Pete Carroll. He was hardly a 'kill-shot' hire.

Pete was the Head Coach of the Patriots, too, and coached them to the playoffs twice in three years in the late 90's.

He was also Monte Kiffin's defensive coordinator at NC State in the early 80's.

I don't remember what anybody thought of hiring him at USC.

Good questions. The truth is that the best possible coach for the Gophers (someone who will be a major big deal future coach) may now be a coordinator, an assistant or a DIII coach. Who knows? But, in general, winning coaches tend to continue winning even if at several different schools (Holtz five or six, Bierman three, Bear Bryant about four, Devaney two, etc.). When they don't, it is usually because they jumped a rung - from DII to DIII, for instance, where so much more was involved in terms of competition, recruiting, management. The Gopher program is on life support just at the time that Nebraska is coming into our division. We can't really take the chance on another Wacker, Gutekunst, Salem, Brewster. Sumlin is becoming the "Minnesota Nice" candidate, with media backing, but he's been head coach TWO AND A HALF YEARS. That's why Tommy Bowden, Richt, Bellotti, Mike Stoops, look so much better to me - they have a track record in major conferences. And any one from the the golden trio of Patterson, Petersen and Harbaugh would top any of them. But if we end up with another Gutekunst, I will be disgusted (as I was then - when we had a legitimate shot at Bobby Ross). Most of us knew Gutey wouldn't work out, and he didn't - but we lost another six years.

Just looking to spruce up discussion on coaches and their backgrounds. While Nick Saban was a big-name hire that worked out, I can think of Rich Rod @ Michigan that didn't. Also, was Florida's success from Urban Meyer or Tim Tebow? Time will tell. Can anyone else add anything? Was Pete Carrol a big-name hire at USC or not really? Steve Spurrier really hasn't done much at South Carolina. And Butch Davis at NC? Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame?

I guess I just see more big-name hires not work. Can someone throw out some names to the contrary?

Tebow obviously helped make him look good, but his first championship came with Chris Leak as the starting QB (though Tebow played a fair amount). I would say Urban Meyer is responsible for the success he has had at Florida.
________
Political Risk Insurance Advice

Top Bottom