Big House visit.

beavergopher

Reaction score
Going to make the trip to Ann Arbor. Any tips for where to stay, eat, drink?
Thanks.

Be prepared to get soaked for parking, and it's brutal getting in and out of there.

If you enjoy being packed in like sardines, with the person behind you's knee in your back, The Big House is the place to be. Awesome spectacle seeing 100,000+, but other than that a pretty blah stadium experience.

Try to stay outside of Ann Arbor too if you don't want to get soaked on hotel

The hotel pricing even for dumps like Motel 6 get pretty outrageous game weekends in Ann Arbor, probably
the worst I have seen in the Big 10. There is an Irish pub downtown that has really good food and drinks but I cannot remember the name, to hammered after the Gophers won and I wasn't driving.The Big house is cramped they give you enough room for one cheek not two when you sit and if you buy through the Gopher ticket office your way up by the scoreboard towards the top in the end zone. The golf course seemed to be the most reasonable place to park but a lot of lots were pretty spendy.

There stadium for 100,000+ people is always quiets and that has been the case all three times I have been there. Saw us win the Jug in 2005, that was a lot of fun but you could hear a pin drop most of the game. I know a Michigan Alumn from work I will ask her for locals perspective on what to see and where to eat.
IF you can ever get to Columbus to see the Buckeyes, that stadium gets pretty rocking to the point where the concrete is moving they make so much noise.
C-bus is way more fun than Michigan and the fans are more willing to share and invite you in as an outsider.

Check to see if there is a game in East Lansing and, if not, that area is an option and not too far of a drive. If you like excitement and living on the edge, there also DT Detroit.

In the Big House you better not have a big ass, or you'll be sitting on someone's lap

For tailgating, you can park at Pioneer High School, right across from the stadium. We parked at Briarwood Mall for free, due south of the stadium, and walked. It was maybe a half hour walk (no worse than our weekly walk from the West Bank tailgating lots).

Agreed that for all the hype it gets, the stadium is nothing special. And yes, it seemed very quiet. Legroom wasn't good, but Memorial (Lincoln) was by FAR worse, and Ohio Stadium, at least where we were sitting in the open end, was also worse than Michigan Stadium.

We stayed in Ypsilanti, as when we booked our hotel, everything in Ann Arbor was booked. Pretty close drive, and the price wasn't too bad.

Other than the borderline-blackout drunk fans behind us during the game, Michigan fans were rather nice to us.

I typically tailgate at Pioneer and it has been great every time. Lots of people though, get there early and plan to stay late if doing the tailgating thing.

The new renovations are really nice. I would suggest anyone that hasn't been there in the past 4-5 years to go again, as it's a totally different experience (except for the tiny ass seats. Those remain for tiny asses).

In Ann Arbor, maybe not on gameday, but sometime, go to Zingerman's. Oh man. One of the best deli's I've ever been to. Have also enjoyed Arbor Brewing and Jolly Pumpkin for brew pubs. Ann Arbor, despite being a whore, is a really good college town and has a good amount to offer. Just go walk around downtown, you'll find a lot to do.

Current Michigan student here...I come in peace, grew up a gopher fan in the twin cities and my parents are alums. Still like to check up on the gophs now and again.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Ann Arbor, it's a fantastic college town. I'd really suggest trying to stay in Ann Arbor if you can as it'll allow you to explore the town for a while instead of just bolting out of town to your hotel. Frankly, there isn't much in the state of Michigan outside of Ann Arbor that's impressed me. Ann Arbor, however, has plenty to do...

Food:
Zingerman's is the big one. One of the best deli's in the country and they recently expanded to reduce the wait time and add extra seating capacity. Pricey for a deli but you get a ton of food and it's so good.
For breakfast Angelo's is very very popular. It's also really good but the line is serious unless you can get there before 9. Other options would be the Broken Egg and Afternoon Delight, both solid.
A personal favorite of mine is Red Hawk on State Street right across the street from campus. Very good burgers and good beer selection.
Main Street also has a lot of really good places but they're on the pricier side. Gratzi and Palio are tops for italian and Chop House will give you the best steak you've ever had if money is no object. Sava's on state street is also another all around solid dinner option.

Things to do:
Take some time to just see central campus if you can. The Diag is our main quad and it's right across the street from downtown. The law quad has some very impressive gothic architecture as well and the Ross School of Business was completely rebuilt in 2010 and is a very impressive building. All within short walking distance of the big house and downtown.
State Street, Main Street, and South University Ave are your main downtown streets. They all have plenty of shops and restaurants.
If you're going to the bars and don't want to be around Michigan undergrads, stick to main street. I've heard good things about Grizzly Peak and the Jolly Pumpkin, but frankly as an undergrad I stick to South U. If you're feeling adventurous check out the Brown Jug on South U, it has both UM and UM (ha) memorabilia, hence the name.
The Ark is a pretty renown concert venue, check out who's in town when you're coming.
And if you're into wildlife take a walk through the Arb, it's up on the "hill" area of campus northwest of the diag and is a huge arboretum with miles of trails.

Gameday:
Personally if I was an adult I'd park on the golf course, not Pioneer, simply because I think it's cool that there are tailgate tents stretching for miles on the University golf course, but both places are hopping. Enjoy the atmosphere as a whole, it's a different world than games at the Bank.
If you're not tailgating or just have some extra time, walk around Ann Arbor closer to campus. Football Saturdays in AA really are quite the scene and it completely takes over the entire town. Michigan fans shouldn't give you a hard time.
I'd also recommend bringing a seat cushion (with no pockets or zips or a back, all those aren't allowed) because it'll kind of mark out a place for you to sit. I've only seen games from the student section but being very cramped in the rows is the one complaint I hear a lot from people who come into town for games.
Ann Arbor isn't exactly a driving friendly city, and that's amplified when the town doubles in size on football weekends. Get into the campus area early, park as early as you can, and then just walk everywhere. Everything is in walking distance and it's easy to get around without a car.

Overall just enjoy yourself even if the game doesn't work out for you guys, it really is a great town and the people are welcoming. I'm home for the summer and went to check out the open practice today, Kill's definitely got your program going in the right direction. If Berkeley Edwards can figure out how to pick up a block he'll probably make us wish we extended that offer. Good luck this year to the gophs and go blue.

Current Michigan student here...I come in peace, grew up a gopher fan in the twin cities and my parents are alums. Still like to check up on the gophs now and again.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Ann Arbor, it's a fantastic college town. I'd really suggest trying to stay in Ann Arbor if you can as it'll allow you to explore the town for a while instead of just bolting out of town to your hotel. Frankly, there isn't much in the state of Michigan outside of Ann Arbor that's impressed me. Ann Arbor, however, has plenty to do...

Food:
Zingerman's is the big one. One of the best deli's in the country and they recently expanded to reduce the wait time and add extra seating capacity. Pricey for a deli but you get a ton of food and it's so good.
For breakfast Angelo's is very very popular. It's also really good but the line is serious unless you can get there before 9. Other options would be the Broken Egg and Afternoon Delight, both solid.
A personal favorite of mine is Red Hawk on State Street right across the street from campus. Very good burgers and good beer selection.
Main Street also has a lot of really good places but they're on the pricier side. Gratzi and Palio are tops for italian and Chop House will give you the best steak you've ever had if money is no object. Sava's on state street is also another all around solid dinner option.

Things to do:
Take some time to just see central campus if you can. The Diag is our main quad and it's right across the street from downtown. The law quad has some very impressive gothic architecture as well and the Ross School of Business was completely rebuilt in 2010 and is a very impressive building. All within short walking distance of the big house and downtown.
State Street, Main Street, and South University Ave are your main downtown streets. They all have plenty of shops and restaurants.
If you're going to the bars and don't want to be around Michigan undergrads, stick to main street. I've heard good things about Grizzly Peak and the Jolly Pumpkin, but frankly as an undergrad I stick to South U. If you're feeling adventurous check out the Brown Jug on South U, it has both UM and UM (ha) memorabilia, hence the name.
The Ark is a pretty renown concert venue, check out who's in town when you're coming.
And if you're into wildlife take a walk through the Arb, it's up on the "hill" area of campus northwest of the diag and is a huge arboretum with miles of trails.

Gameday:
Personally if I was an adult I'd park on the golf course, not Pioneer, simply because I think it's cool that there are tailgate tents stretching for miles on the University golf course, but both places are hopping. Enjoy the atmosphere as a whole, it's a different world than games at the Bank.
If you're not tailgating or just have some extra time, walk around Ann Arbor closer to campus. Football Saturdays in AA really are quite the scene and it completely takes over the entire town. Michigan fans shouldn't give you a hard time.
I'd also recommend bringing a seat cushion (with no pockets or zips or a back, all those aren't allowed) because it'll kind of mark out a place for you to sit. I've only seen games from the student section but being very cramped in the rows is the one complaint I hear a lot from people who come into town for games.
Ann Arbor isn't exactly a driving friendly city, and that's amplified when the town doubles in size on football weekends. Get into the campus area early, park as early as you can, and then just walk everywhere. Everything is in walking distance and it's easy to get around without a car.

Overall just enjoy yourself even if the game doesn't work out for you guys, it really is a great town and the people are welcoming. I'm home for the summer and went to check out the open practice today, Kill's definitely got your program going in the right direction. If Berkeley Edwards can figure out how to pick up a block he'll probably make us wish we extended that offer. Good luck this year to the gophs and go blue.

Thanks for all the info guys.

If your travel plans allow, I suggest getting there a day early and take a stroll through campus. Michigan has a gorgeous campus, top three in the B1G among UMN and IU, IMO. We played billiards in their student union -- really cool old building.

As a Gopher fan, The Brown Jug is a most. They have both MN & MI memorabilia -- promotes the rivalry.
http://www.brownjug-annarbor.com/

Edit: I see mngoblue mentioned both these! I also agree that the golf course is a fun tailgate.

Really

Let's just say Detroit's no Minneapolis...and probably no Oklahoma City or Jacksonville either. The coasts are alright but nothing you can't get in Duluth or Brainerd or Lake Minnetonka/Calhoun.

Some additional comments...

1) Regarding where to stay... If you are driving, you might consider staying outside of Ann Arbor. On I-94, Jackson is 30 miles away, Battle Creek an hour and Kalamazoo just a little further. You will not get soaked on UM Home game hotel rates, rooms will be available and you have already taken some time off your trip on the way back.

2) The golf courses are great experiences, but you will pay for them. Ann Arbor Golf and Outing is the one directly south of the stadium (SE corner of Stadium & Main). $40 per car and they are strict about closing 2 hours after the game. Enter of Main Street. UM's Golf Course would be about the same price.

If you are willing to walk just a little bit (15 minutes) there are plenty of private lots along Main Street/AA Saline Road and off Scio Church Road where you will find beautiful tree lined lots and some really great people. Much cheaper too, with most places going for $20 per car. Lot closing times are much more generous than you will find at the golf courses. My personal opinion is that Pioneer is not a great tailgate place for the price.

One suggestion, although Michigan does a better than most job with post-game traffic funneling south to I-94, you might plan on activities that will consume about an hour of time after the game to make your departure a bit less frustrating. We usually stay 2-3 hours, rewatch the game as well the other games on the schedule that day. I've never had a problem getting out of town.

Originally Posted by mngoblue View Post

Station, I hear you. I lived in GR for about 4 years and have relatives in the State. I can tell folks this...Traverse City and Charlevoix are phenomenal destinations that, in my opinion, make Duluth look like a has-been city. If you love sailing and miles of cherry trees and cherry wine you'll find Traverse City to be like a midwest Napa Valley. Nothing in Minnesota to compare it to. Also, Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island are amazing places to relax and unwind. Finally, head on up to the U.P. and take in the grandeur. Breathtaking and beautiful. The diversity of Michigan simply blows away Minnesota for places to visit and see. If mngoblue thinks there isn't much to see it's only because he hasn't toured the state. Time for a road trip young man!!!

Station, I hear you. I lived in GR for about 4 years and have relatives in the State. I can tell folks this...Traverse City and Charlevoix are phenomenal destinations that, in my opinion, make Duluth look like a has-been city. If you love sailing and miles of cherry trees and cherry wine you'll find Traverse City to be like a midwest Napa Valley. Nothing in Minnesota to compare it to. Also, Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island are amazing places to relax and unwind. Finally, head on up to the U.P. and take in the grandeur. Breathtaking and beautiful. The diversity of Michigan simply blows away Minnesota for places to visit and see. If mngoblue thinks there isn't much to see it's only because he hasn't toured the state. Time for a road trip young man!!!

I can't believe there is any state where there isn't much other than one city. If nothing else Michigan has hundreds of miles of shoreline along the largest lake in the U S. Something MN doesn't have.

Top Bottom