BIG games this weekend

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score

Will Iowa run for more than 300 yards? 400? How many ints for Nebraska? 3 or more?

If you ever needed proof that ratings are the only thing that matters, look no further than the prime time ABC 11am game being 0-5 Penn State at 2-3 Michigan (deserve to be 1-4, needed OT to beat Rutgers).

Rooting bigly for Penn St to get its first win of the year!

If you ever needed proof that ratings are the only thing that matters, look no further than the prime time ABC 11am game being 0-5 Penn State at 2-3 Michigan (deserve to be 1-4, needed OT to beat Rutgers).

Rooting bigly for Penn St to get its first win of the year!
I have no idea what you’re trying to say but of course ratings are the only thing that matters to TV networks?

that’s like saying the only thing that matters to a grocery store are grocery sales.

Why would a network put Maryland and Indiana on? Because they’ve combined for 6 wins instead of 2? They’re going to lose money to put 2-1 Maryland on TV?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say but of course ratings are the only thing that matters to TV networks?

that’s like saying the only thing that matters to a grocery store are grocery sales.

Why would a network put Maryland and Indiana on? Because they’ve combined for 6 wins instead of 2? They’re going to lose money to put 2-1 Maryland on TV?
Usually the biggest programs that draw the biggest ratings are also the most winning programs. Winning and (casual) fan interest are tightly coupled.

This is a weird year obviously, and also this weekend is compounded with so many games being on today instead of tomorrow.

Just saying that Mich and Penn State game does not deserve to get on the main broadcast channel, with how poorly they've played this year. Should be an ESPN or FS1 game. Should be a BTN game, actually.

Usually the biggest programs that draw the biggest ratings are also the most winning programs. Winning and (casual) fan interest are tightly coupled.

This is a weird year obviously, and also this weekend is compounded with so many games being on today instead of tomorrow.

Just saying that Mich and Penn State game does not deserve to get on the main broadcast channel, with how poorly they've played this year. Should be an ESPN or FS1 game. Should be a BTN game, actually.
It absolutely deserves main TV billing. The networks paid the conference for the game. The networks chose which game they wanted where per the contract.

If it didn’t get picked by the network, it wouldn’t get that TV slot

It absolutely deserves main TV billing. The networks paid the conference for the game. The networks chose which game they wanted where per the contract.

If it didn’t get picked by the network, it wouldn’t get that TV slot
The bolded was never in doubt, and doesn't support your first assertion.

That's like saying "the thief broke into the house and stole the TV, so of course the thief absolutely deserves to posses the TV".

Should is a different concept that what is. Yes? If you think winless 0-12 Alabama vs winless 0-12 Clemson deserves to be on the biggest TV channel over undefeated 12-0 Gophers, well you're just wrong and I doubt any logic will convince you otherwise.

The bolded was never in doubt, and doesn't support your first assertion.

That's like saying "the thief broke into the house and stole the TV, so of course the thief absolutely deserves to posses the TV".

Should is a different concept that what is. Yes?
You think that is a good analogy to what I said?
You think the network stole the tv rights or that I said they did?

a better analogy would be that someone walks into target with a 200 dollar gift card.

the person walks out with 200 dollars worth of products that they wanted.

you are standing in the parking lot as they walk out yelling “you made a horrible mistake!”

You think that is a good analogy to what I said?
You think the network stole the tv rights or that I said they did?

a better analogy would be that someone walks into target with a 200 dollar gift card.

the person walks out with 200 dollars worth of products that they wanted.

you are standing in the parking lot as they walk out yelling “you made a horrible mistake!”
Perfect analogy, because you're purposefully ignoring the difference between should and the networks doing whatever they want.

It's quite simple: I'm not saying anything other than that Mich and Penn St's awful play this year does not deserve to be highlighted on the biggest channel.

That's simple, and correct. It has nothing to do with what the networks paid for or are able to decide for themselves.

If Iowa had a qb they would be really hard to beat.

After Iowa manhandled us, and now watching Nebraska hold their own against them, I'm not sure we will even be favored against the Huskers (provided we play the game).

After Iowa manhandled us, and now watching Nebraska hold their own against them, I'm not sure we will even be favored against the Huskers (provided we play the game).
We ran for 140 on Iowa and only were outgained by like 30 yards.

finishing drives was a bigger issue than being Manhandled

I think MN vs NE will basically be a pick em unless Nebraska goes on a little winning streak here.

The league is very unpredictable. I think that is the whole overriding theme. Nebraska got destroyed at home by Illinois last week

Frost out here talking about the referees' mother. Embarrassing to be conducting yourself that way in 2020.

It would be hilarious if Iowa loses here after that decision making

Iowa 26-20. A lot closer than I thought it would be.

Nebraska lost. That's all I care about.

Good day for college football in Iowa, with ISU setting up for a rematch against OU in the XII championship game. Too bad they lost to a very good, but fading Okla State team, and that dumb loss to Louisiana to start the season. They could possibly be CFP bound if they were undefeated.

Tangential aside:
Was doing some research, and it appears the reason Iowa State and Minnesota have played so little despite being so close is that many years ago they accused Minnesota players of purposefully stomping on their legendary Jack Trice (stadium namesake), who was one of the very early African-American players, with the injuries leading to his death. Wonder if that also had anything to do with Iowa State never receiving (perhaps never showing?) interest to join Iowa and Minnesota in the Big Ten.

I feel bad if that’s the reason. I wish Minnesota could do something to make up for it like a peace offering. Then, both sides could possibly schedule each other and could both benefit from being so close.

Good day for college football in Iowa, with ISU setting up for a rematch against OU in the XII championship game. Too bad they lost to a very good, but fading Okla State team, and that dumb loss to Louisiana to start the season. They could possibly be CFP bound if they were undefeated.

2020 Iowa State is basically the 2019 Gophers had they lost to South Dakota State to kick things off, then had the same run.

MSU-NW becomes the big game for the weekend.

Also curious if Rutgers can pull the upset against Brohm.

MSU-NW becomes the big game for the weekend.

Also curious if Rutgers can pull the upset against Brohm.
I'm actually more curious about Maryland - IU. Terps are a big of an enigma given they've missed two games, but they're coming off wins over Minn and PSU -- both pretty bad on paper, but teams that you'd normally expect to handle Maryland easily. IU is a good, solid team on both sides, but they were also pretty lucky to beat PSU.

I'm interested to watch PSU-MI. Does either team show up? How hot does the seat get for the team that loses? Do they QBs the teams are switching to continue to provide a spark? Plus it will end in one of them taking yet another L, which is always fun

I'm actually more curious about Maryland - IU. Terps are a big of an enigma given they've missed two games, but they're coming off wins over Minn and PSU -- both pretty bad on paper, but teams that you'd normally expect to handle Maryland easily. IU is a good, solid team on both sides, but they were also pretty lucky to beat PSU.
Maryland might be back in the mix if they win out and Ohio state misses another game

I'm interested to watch PSU-MI. Does either team show up? How hot does the seat get for the team that loses? Do they QBs the teams are switching to continue to provide a spark? Plus it will end in one of them taking yet another L, which is always fun
I hope the final score is penn state 3 Michigan 0

Exactly. I would like to see if Maryland's offense can explode against IU. Of course we know now that PSU is horrible, and that NW is good. So perhaps Maryland is who we thought they were.

I really can't see Mich St putting up any kind of fight against NW, any more than Rutgers putting up a fight against Purdue. But it is a crazy year.

Maryland might be back in the mix if they win out and Ohio state misses another game
Interesting thought! How crazy would that be??

Wisconsin and Ohio State both only have five games, but the league average is more than six, so we get NW vs Maryland as the championship?

Asterisk year all the way. Granted, NW beat Wisc fair and square.

I think both Franklin AND Harbaugh are already on the hot seat. I wouldn't doubt that both are out at the end of the year.

Top Bottom