Big 12 and SEC to start new bowl game to attempt to rival Rose Bowl.

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/50339/sec-big-12-plant-their-own-rose

The Big Ten and Pac-12 have their Rose Bowl. And now, the SEC and Big 12 are trying to create something just like it.

In a wildly interesting development, those two leagues announced today that their champions would meet annually in a Jan. 1 bowl game, unless one or both of those champions is in the new four-team playoff. The conferences didn't say where the bowl would be or if it will be folded into an existing bowl; expect current bowls like the Sugar and Cotton to fall all over themselves trying to land this whale of an event.

The Big 12/SEC game will also try to challenge the Rose for New Year's Day supremacy; the two leagues said in their announcement that they would play the game in primetime on Jan. 1, likely right as the Rose Bowl is wrapping up.

It won't be just like it, it won't have the tradition of the Rose Bowl. Sure, it will have that new bowl smell...

What are the odds that the SEC champ is NOT in the top 4?

Bet the heads of the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls are thrilled with this.....

What are the odds that the SEC champ is NOT in the top 4?

I read something earlier today that said there has been at least one SEC or Big 12 team in the top 4 every year since the BCS began in 1998.

I used to be decidedly in favor of a playoff. With each new development, however, I find myself remembering the old pre-BCS bowl system fondly. There was no clear champion, but as I think about it, I don't really care.

None of this will change my love of college football, but this is, for me anyway, a case of "be careful what you wish for."

The current BCS format ends after next years Bowl games then, does this mean that the Rose Bowl goes back to being the B1G and Pac-12 champion. What happens to the ACC champion in that scenario, Notre Dame? This may explain FSU's interest in the Big 12.

So the top remaining team from the SEC will play the top remaining team from the Big12 ... so... its the Cotton Bowl - on New Year's Day.

Earth F-ing shattering news.

Preliminary reports say that this game may end up being the Sugar Bowl. Personally, I think it may end up being the Cotton Bowl, simply because it's played at Jerryworld now.

This is Old School, it was in an earlier incarnation the Orange Bowl Match Up. It was a trip from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, or Kansas to Miami. Oranges rained down on the field when a team clenched the trip. The Orange Bowl is gone, but this is a venue designed to get to a National Champion. The winner of say Alabama v. Texas to take on the Winner of Big 10 v. Pac 10 say USC v. Michigan. There you have 2 of the final four.

This game becomes the Sugar/Cotton Bowl-what ever you want to call it.

The winner plays the winner of Rose Bowl.(B1G vs Pac 12)

Voila, you have a 4 team national tournament and champion.

The top four conferences keep all the money. If other don't like it, so what.

This game becomes the Sugar/Cotton Bowl-what ever you want to call it.

The winner plays the winner of Rose Bowl.(B1G vs Pac 12)

Voila, you have a 4 team national tournament and champion.

The top four conferences keep all the money. If other don't like it, so what.

That's exactly how many of the national writers are reading it as. Why college football didn't go with a playoff when it first started (probably travel costs and time issues if I had a guess) is beyond me.

That's exactly how many of the national writers are reading it as. Why college football didn't go with a playoff when it first started (probably travel costs and time issues if I had a guess) is beyond me.

Well, since college football started in the late 1800's, I would assume travel costs and time were issues.:)

Put a fork in it now. Although the SEC is a power if football, the Big 12 is a dog of a conference with the departure of A&M and Mizzou. Unless there is a radical shift in power, the SEC will dominate this bowl game and it'll be nothing special to anyone outside those conferences.

Put a fork in it now. Although the SEC is a power if football, the Big 12 is a dog of a conference with the departure of A&M and Mizzou. Unless there is a radical shift in power, the SEC will dominate this bowl game and it'll be nothing special to anyone outside those conferences.

Texas and Oklahoma have had teams that can beat the top SEC teams. For the most part that is where the competion is going to come from, Oklahoma State was good last year but they are going to have to show they can be consistantly good.

So let me get this straight. 2 teams who have a combined 1 BCS appearance (A&M in '99 Sugar Bowl, they lost) and one conference title (A&M, same year) since the BCS began leave the Big 12 and that is what is going to make them into a "dog of a conference"? Yea...don't think so. Will the Big 12 be more top heavy? Quite possibly. But you could argue that right now, TCU and West Virginia are pretty equal in quality to what A&M and Mizzou brought. In any case, the "big dogs" of the Big 12 (Oklahoma and Texas) will remain just as strong and as jovs notes, those will be the teams you'll see in this game more often then not.

So the top remaining team from the SEC will play the top remaining team from the Big12 ... so... its the Cotton Bowl - on New Year's Day.

Earth F-ing shattering news.

If there is anything about the bowl that could even be considered "Earth F-ing shattering news", it's that the two conferences *own* the bowl. Where as all other bowls are independently owned and even the Rose Bowl has a middle-man. This could signal the beginning of conferences taking ownership of the bowls or perhaps the post-season in general. Remember that $40Million "war chest" that the head of the Fiesta was touting? What if two conferences were able to amass the same thing?

Texas and Oklahoma have had teams that can beat the top SEC teams. For the most part that is where the competion is going to come from, Oklahoma State was good last year but they are going to have to show they can be consistantly good.

I agree that Texas or OU have the inside track to this game. Basically the conference championship games become the quarterfinals, this new NASCAR bowl between the $EC and the B12 & the Rose bowl becomes the semis, and then there's a National championship game a week later to crown the king. Couple of thoughts:

1.This actually works in the Big 10's favor. For the past decade, the SEC has been the strongest conference. Why not go with a system where the Big 10 champ puts off playing a SEC team as long as possible. And if the Longhorns are good, let them tangle with Alabama or LSU in the semifinal. That way the B10 champ only has to play one of them.

2.It sucks to be in the ACC or Big Least right now

3.This may be the straw that forces the irish to wake up and smell the coffee (sorry to mix metaphors). I don't think they're gonna be able to work a deal like they did in BCS 1.0. Noone's gonna give them a gift of saying "well, if you finish in the top 5 in the polls you get a spot in the Rose or Redneck (or whatever they call this new SEC/B12 matchup) bowl"

4.You can bet that ESPN had a big part in this. They've been pimping the $EC

The intent is to have this bowl be separate from the Playoff system and have the next best available SEC and B12 teams face off, assuming both conferences have a team(s) in the playoffs.

The intent is to have this bowl be separate from the Playoff system and have the next best available SEC and B12 teams face off, assuming both conferences have a team(s) in the playoffs.

Except that there is no playoff system. And now there is no BCS. This announcement means that the Big East is completely dead as a major football conference. But we already knew that. What is far more significant is how this (coupled with its recent expansion) is going to begin to compromise the ACC.

We are already hearing reps at some of these schools "reaffirming their commitment to the ACC" (which means they are actively persuing a new affiliation), and saying they would be open to listening to offers (which means they would be persuing a new affiliation, but no one wants them).

There are clearly going to be more huge changes to conference affiliation.

w/o Nebraska\Colorado and A&M gone the Big 12 is nothing but an average conference with Texas\Oklahoma. They can try as hard as they want but they will never rival the Rose Bowl.

w/o Nebraska\Colorado and A&M gone the Big 12 is nothing but an average conference with Texas\Oklahoma.

This isn't backed up by anything. On the whole, they replaced middling programs with other middling programs. They are essentially the same conference in terms of FB quality. Nebby was the only true loss for the conference. And Nebby hadn't done anything outside the Big 12 North in quite some time.

Top Bottom