Big 10 West Title

kg21

Reaction score
I believe we will beat Indiana.

I believe Iowa will lose at least one more game.

Should those happen, aren't we playing for the West Title in the last game?

I believe we will beat Indiana.

I believe Iowa will lose at least one more game.

Should those happen, aren't we playing for the West Title in the last game?
Depends on how many team tie and who they are:

a two way tie with wisconsin, we go
A two way tie with Purdue, we go
A two way tie with Iowa, they go

a three way tie with Purdue and wisconsin, we go
A three way tie with Purdue and Iowa, I’m not even sure. It might actually make a difference who gets 5th in the division at that point. But I don’t think it matters because wisconsin isn’t losing 2.
A three way tie with wisconsin and Iowa, wisconsin goes.

a four way tie, we go

We would be playing for a “co title” though. You are right.

A strong breeze apparently an topple Indiana.
I doubt Iowa loses prior to Nebraska.

Gophers are in bad shape for West tiebreakers at this point because a 3 or 4 way tie would likely favor Wisconsin, because 2 of their 3 losses would be against East teams (Michigan, PSU)

We will know going in. Iowa plays 2 games before Minnesota wisconsin game day.

I just hope we beat Indiana

Doesn't Iowa play the day after Thanksgiving in Nebraska. They can easily lose that game.

I'm hoping to watch that game with Iowa losing meaning we play for the West title. It's all we have.

Gophers are in bad shape for West tiebreakers at this point because a 3 or 4 way tie would likely favor Wisconsin, because 2 of their 3 losses would be against East teams (Michigan, PSU)
Wrong. 4 way tie gophers will win.
Tiebreakers are used to narrow the 4 way tie down a team at a time.

the first tiebreaker to eliminate a team will eliminate Iowa and Purdue. Then it is head to head with wisconsin.

4 way tie is the easiest path to the title and requires the following results.

Minnesota > wisconsin
Minnesota > Indiana

Wisconsin > Nebraska (odd take but I think we actually want wisconsin to win this game so we aren’t in a 2 or 3 way tie with Iowa and not wisconsin)

Purdue > northwestern
Purdue > Indiana

Illinois OR Nebraska > iowa

The West is Wisconsin's to lose at this point and probably the only other team with a truly realistic shot of still coming out on top is Iowa. There will be scenarios where Purdue and Minnesota can win the West but those would all require a lot of chaos at this point. The reality is that the losses this week basically eliminated MN and PUR from the divisional race.

If Wisconsin wins out they get the West. If they drop a game and Iowa wins out then Iowa gets the West. Outside of that it would get really messy and there would be all kinds of tie breaker scenarios in play.

With Nebraska firing their offensive staff and losing one of their defensive leaders (JoJo Doman) to injury I don't like their chances of springing the upsets against Wisconsin or Iowa in the next two weeks. But has been a crazy year and anything can happen I guess.

Illinois at Iowa next week could be interesting. Illinois is just pesky enough to make things difficult and is coming off a bye week as well. Plus they clearly don't mind playing on the road having won at MN and PSU already this year.

the first tiebreaker to eliminate a team will eliminate Iowa and Purdue. Then it is head to head with wisconsin.

Minnesota > wisconsin
Minnesota > Indiana

Wisconsin > Nebraska (odd take but I think we actually want wisconsin to win this game so we aren’t in a 2 or 3 way tie with Iowa and not wisconsin)

Purdue > northwestern
Purdue > Indiana

Great chance for all of that shit to happen.

The West is Wisconsin's to lose at this point and probably the only other team with a truly realistic shot of still coming out on top is Iowa. There will be scenarios where Purdue and Minnesota can win the West but those would all require a lot of chaos at this point. The reality is that the losses this week basically eliminated MN and PUR from the divisional race.

If Wisconsin wins out they get the West. If they drop a game and Iowa wins out then Iowa gets the West. Outside of that it would get really messy and there would be all kinds of tie breaker scenarios in play.

With Nebraska firing their offensive staff and losing one of their defensive leaders (JoJo Doman) to injury I don't like their chances of springing the upsets against Wisconsin or Iowa in the next two weeks. But has been a crazy year and anything can happen I guess.

Illinois at Iowa next week could be interesting. Illinois is just pesky enough to make things difficult and is coming off a bye week as well. Plus they clearly don't mind playing on the road having won at MN and PSU already this year.
I just think there is a great chance that Purdue wins out and Iowa loses one.

that means we beat Indiana, the last game is for all the marbles.

Hell, why not?

I agree. Not great like 51%
But great like closer to maybe than 0%
Purdue beating Indiana and NW should happen.

Iowa losing one to Illinois or Nebraska has a great chance of happening. Iowa is so average I could cry.

But what that probably means is that happens, then we lose to Indiana. LMAO

Minnesota > wisconsin
Minnesota > Indiana

Purdue > northwestern
Purdue > Indiana

I think the easiest/most likely path that would get the Gophers the title would be:

Win out and have Iowa lose out. Iowa has Illinois at home and then Nebraska on the road. They can win both those games but neither will be a gimmie either.

Even if that scenario led to Purdue being involved in a 3 way tie with us and Wisconsin, Purdue would be out due to having lost to both MN and Wis and then the Gophers get the head to head with Wisconsin for the title.

Longshot, but right now it really the only scenario I see where we end up coming out on top.

Hell, why not?
Been a crazy year, at this point probably anything is on the table.

I think the easiest/most likely path that would get the Gophers the title would be:

Win out and have Iowa lose out. Iowa has Illinois at home and then Nebraska on the road. They can win both those games but neither will be a gimmie either.

Even if that scenario led to Purdue being involved in a 3 way tie with us and Wisconsin, Purdue would be out due to having lost to both MN and Wis and then the Gophers get the head to head with Wisconsin for the title.

Longshot, but right now it really the only scenario I see where we end up coming out on top.
If we win out, we win a 4 way tie with Purdue, Iowa, and wisconsin

Iowa doesn’t need to lose 2 unless we are in a 2 way tie or 3 way tie.

3 way ties really need wisconsin to lose to Nebraska for us to have a chance because wisconsin is going to win all 3 way ties

So I need to start another Scott Frost Appreciation Thread.

Beat Bucky, and beat Iowa.

So I need to start another Scott Frost Appreciation Thread.

Beat Bucky, and beat Iowa.
We literally don’t want them to beat wisconsin if Iowa isn’t going to lose out

Hell, why not?
I’m with ya. It’s probably more likely than not that IA loses one. Purdue should be heavy favorites in both. And we should be able to beat IN.

Doesn’t mean all that will happen, but that’d be great if somehow it could all come down to that UW matchup.

4 way tie favors Minnesota actually. Iowa's loss to Purdue would make the difference.

If WI beats NE they are in the catbird seat having beat IA.
But all of the above are speculation until next Sunday AM.
Even Fleck could not screw up game coaching against IN.
So it will likely come down again to the WI/MN game.

Let's go Illinois! Pull off another road upset!
Need Wisconsin and Purdue to win today.
Plus obviously the Gophers have to win as well.

Frank and honest:

- as much of an emotional high as it would be to beat Wisconsin (which we need to obviously assume if we're going to talk about winning the West)

................ I'd rather just let Iowa take the loss in Indianapolis.

"Winning" the "West" and "East" is dumb anyway.

Win the Big Ten, once in my lifetime. I can get behind that.

Let's go Illinois! Pull off another road upset!
Need Wisconsin and Purdue to win today.
Plus obviously the Gophers have to win as well.
The best thing about the gophers’ 1% chance is we will know going into the wisconsin game what it means. Either way it is good. If Iowa loses, it is a chance to go (assuming Purdue takes care of business) if Iowa wins it is a chance to send Iowa instead of wisconsin

The best thing about the gophers’ 1% chance is we will know going into the wisconsin game what it means. Either way it is good. If Iowa loses, it is a chance to go (assuming Purdue takes care of business) if Iowa wins it is a chance to send Iowa instead of wisconsin
I'm going for the latter.

Beat Wisc, take the Axe ..... then let Iowa take the loss in Indy.

If we win out, we win a 4 way tie with Purdue, Iowa, and wisconsin

Iowa doesn’t need to lose 2 unless we are in a 2 way tie or 3 way tie.

3 way ties really need wisconsin to lose to Nebraska for us to have a chance because wisconsin is going to win all 3 way ties
Wouldn't the Gophers win a 3 way tie between MINN, WISC and PURD?

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.
1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.

(a) Example: East 1 is 2-0 in games between the tied teams with wins over East 2 and 3 - East 1 would be the representative.

2. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.

3. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).

(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.

4. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on winning percentage against all common conference opponents.

5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.

(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.

6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).

(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.

(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)

7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.

8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

These scenarios aren't that hard guys. Let's start easy and ignore situations where everyone loses out.

We lose to Wisconsin:

Wisconsin wins the West unless Iowa finishes with a better record

We beat Wisconsin:

3-way tie with Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota: Wisconsin wins based on best division record

3-way tie with Iowa/Minnesota/Purdue: Minnesota wins after Iowa is eliminated for worst division record and Purdue based on H2H with UMN

4-way tie with Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota/Purdue: Minnesota wins after Iowa/Purdue are eliminated based on 4 team H2H (UMN/Wis are 2-1, Iowa/Purdue are 1-2) and Wisconsin is eliminated based on H2H with UMN.

3-way tie with Wisconsin/Minnesota/Purdue: Minnesota wins with H2H over both

That means we want Purdue to tie with us, don't care how Wisconsin does outside of losing to us, and need Iowa to at least tie with us. How does that happen? Purdue wins out and Iowa loses at least once.

Looking at the games we care about

Need Iowa to lose at least one of these games
Illinois @ Iowa
Iowa @ Nebraska

Need Purdue to win both of these games (outside of everyone losing out)
Purdue @ Northwestern: Want Purdue to win
Indiana @ Purdue: Want Purdue to win

Need to win both of these games (again outside of everyone losing out)
Minnesota @ Indiana: Obviously want to win
Wisconsin @ Minnesota: Obviously need to win

I think Purdue winning out is the most likely, followed by Iowa losing at least one game, and finally us beating Wisconsin is the least likely outcome.

Top Bottom