"Big 10 Tradition"

Just a guess, perhaps the PAC 8-10-12, back in the day the visiting team more often brought their own band?

I often see the home team band also playing visitors fight song in local High School games.
I was in marching band in the mid 90s, and I had completely forgotten we did this until you just mentioned it. I remember one school had Navy's Anchors Aweigh, and another had Notre Dame's Victory March. I'm blanking on the others. Ours was Ohio State's Across the Field.

Around 25 minutes methinks...the sequence goes something like this:

Minnesota March
Opponent Fight Song
Swinging Gates
National Anthem
Block M Formation
Rouser
Block M down the field
Set up for Goldy
Goldy Enters
Team Enters

From memory so someone correct me...
I believe that is correct but they shorten the Minnesota March which is too bad. I know I am in the minority but the Battle Hymn of the Republic is my least favorite thing of the pregame. It could be the placement of band members and there is someone 5'1" standing next to someone who is 6'2". Who knows, I just don't care for the routine.

I believe that is correct but they shorten the Minnesota March which is too bad. I know I am in the minority but the Battle Hymn of the Republic is my least favorite thing of the pregame. It could be the placement of band members and there is someone 5'1" standing next to someone who is 6'2". Who knows, I just don't care for the routine.
Understood on the Battle Hymn but as a transplanted Southerner I actually have enjoyed it myself from my first exposure...probably in Mason's 2nd or 3rd year. And still do.

If we go back far enough when we played Alabama in the bowl game there used to be a Rupert on GH who I recall had issues with playing in The South against both 'Bama and Arkansas. This was many years ago but is part of Minnesota and GH history. Playing the Battle Hymn with the Swinging Gates was a good thing playing the darn Rebs...

The UM Band may have even played Rocky Top for one of those games but I could be misremembering on that one. Where is DeltaHog when you need him? Ski U Mah.

Top Bottom