Big 10 Rundown

weezy

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really appreciated OSUfan's summary of the Buckeys in the "tOSU" thread. I know there a few posters that read this board frequently that are (gasp) not gopher fans. Some that come to mind are: mnboiler, UWOLE (or something like that), and combes. I'm sure there are even more that don't post as frequently. I am hoping that these posters can give a summary of what to expect from their teams. I want to know things like: Who will be the most surprising player? Who is going to lead the team in scoring? What are some potential match up problems for the Gophers? What style will your team be playing? And any other info you feel necessary. Make a case for your team to win the big ten and explain what has to happen for them to finish on top (note: any Iowa poster should probably just skip this portion).

In short, I want this to be an accumulation of biased views.

Purdue

Purdue has already suffered 2 significant injuries. Starting PG Lewis Jackson is likely out for the year with a foot injury. He had surgery last week and his return this season is very much in question. Purdue was already thin up front and that depth took a blow when Freshman Sandi Marcius went down with a foot injury as well. He's expceted back by Big Ten play but I'll believe that when I see it. Marcius wasn't expected to light the world on fire but he was supposed to at least spell JuJuan Johnson for 10-12 minutes per game, but now they have to rely on another Frosh Patrick Bade, who isn't as wide of a body as Marcius and not as aggressive defensively. Frosh PG Kelsey Barlow was supposed to redshirt because of the perceived depth at guard, but they decided against that after the Jackson injury. It was actually a "controversial" topic amongst Purdue fans whether or not to redshirt Barlow because he looked so good in their 2 exhibition games and season opener. He stunk against SDSU the other night.

I want to know things like:

Who will be the most surprising player?

A: Tough question because Hummel, Johnson, and Moore are pretty good and nothing they do should be surprising. I'll go out on a limb and say Purdue's most surprising player this year will be Sophomore Ryne Smith. He's sharpshooter that saw very limited time last year, mostly because of a viral infection similar to mono that caused him to be inactive for a handful of games. Plus, he just needed a year to get stronger and adjust to Big Ten b-ball. Also look for Keaton Grant to bounce back from a disappointing Junior campaign. If he can find his stroke, Purdue will be even more deadly.

Who is going to lead the team in scoring?

A: It's a toss up between Hummel and Moore, but I'll go with Hummel since he doesn't seem to go through shooting slumps like Moore. Moore is the type of player that could go for 30 any night if he gets hot.

What are some potential match up problems for the Gophers?

A: Gophers have a big adavantage upfront with Sampson and Iverson. Like the Gophers, Purdue defends very well so I think you'll see Chris Kramer on Westbrook and Nolen on Moore. Lewis Jackson was also a lockdown defender so that loss will hurt a little. Grant is as good as anyone defending as well so look for the Gophers to struggle to score against the Boilers. Get Johnson in foul trouble and the Gophers have chance to beat the Boilers.

What style will your team be playing?

A: Without Lewis Jackson, Purdue won't run as much. They love the half court stuff so I would expect them to be the stereotypical Big Ten squad that avoids the run and gun shootouts.

And any other info you feel necessary. Make a case for your team to win the big ten and explain what has to happen for them to finish on top.

A: I see Purdue finishing no worse than 3rd. They have a chance to win the Big Ten but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm just not sold quite yet that they're a legit top 10 team with Final Four aspirations. The Jackson injury really stinks. He is similar to Kalin Lucas in quickness but without the scoring threat. I see them losing one non-conference game (likely to Tennessee tomorrow night) and then going no worse then 12-6 in the Big Ten. 25 wins and a 3 or 4 seed in the Big Dance.

I agree with MinnesotaBoiler99 on a few things but disagree on a few well.

Who will be the most surprising player?

I was going with Smith on suprising player for this year as well. Mainly against zones. But if his D has looked pretty good so far so he could see some good minutes.

Who is going to lead the team in scoring?

I think Moore leads the team in scoring but I see Hummel, Moore, and Johnson all in that 12-16 points range.

What are some potential match up problems for the Gophers?

Hummel will be the biggest match up problem for most teams but no one person on Purdue's team is a really bad match up for any team, like say Evan Turner.

What style will your team be playing?

I disagree with MinnesotaBoiler99 on the style though. I think Purdue is going to try to run more this year. They don't want to get into a run and gun type game, but they won't be Wisconsin either, I think they will run more this year than in years past.

And any other info you feel necessary. Make a case for your team to win the big ten and explain what has to happen for them to finish on top.

I think how far Purdue goes this year really depends on how they progress rebounding. Last year they were a mediocare rebounding team if they become a good-great rebounding team watch out because it could be a really magic year in West Lafayette.

Boilers

My alma mater is THIN on experienced depth as in NONE.

5 very good starters but that's it. 3 frosh and 2 little used sophs off the bench.

I'd say Good but not as good as last year.

Iowa

I expect the number of blowflies circling the carcass that is Iowa basketball to outnumber the paid fans by a factor of 10 by the time the B10 season starts.

Badger rundown

Badgers are playing in the Maui Invitational starting Mon at 11PM Central against Arizona. So there's a good chance in the next few days for us to get a good measure how we stack up against good competition.

The guy who is most likely to surprise is Jon Leuer. While Nankivil also has taken taken a very big step forward, Leuer is potentially a first team all conference player. Leuer was a defensive liability his first two years, but is now a good post defender who now seems to grasp what Bo wants on defense.

Jon Leuer is likely to lead the team in scoring. Hughes will probably be second with Bohannon third, and Nankivil scoring around 9-10 per game.

The biggest matchup problem for most teams will be Leuer, but the Gophs should be able to slow him down with Damian Johnson, but if they do that, then Sampson/Iverson have to guard Nankivil, who can drift outside and hit three pointers. So that's going to be a critical matchup.

Style should be obvious under Bo Ryan. Tough half court man-to-man defense, ball control, limit turnovers, good defensive rebounding, swing offense, spread the points around. Bo's teams don't usually block many shots, because he doesn't allow on-ball defenders to attempt blocks, but in the first two games, they've been blocking a lot of shots. Will be interesting to see if it continues.

Can the Badger's win the B10? Not highly likely, but stranger things have happened. Last year the Badgers struggled on defense compared to most Bo Ryan teams. This year's team looks much better defensively. This is the kind of Bo Ryan team that tends to perform a lot better than expected--5 starting upperclassmen with experience. That probably won't translate to a Big Ten championship, but Bo has done it three times in eight years and only once was he expected to contend.

Thanks for the responses.

The biggest matchup problem for most teams will be Leuer

Not only does DJ match up well with Leuer, but Carter, and potentially Mbakwe or White, all are capable of locking him down. Perhaps I am underestimating Leuer but I'm not overly concerned about him hurting the Gophs. The thing about the Badgers and their swing offense though, is that they don't need match up problems to be effective. Hence, they are among the top in the big ten year in and year out.

Get Johnson in foul trouble and the Gophers have chance to beat the Boilers.

The key to beating them this year will be to wear them down. I don't think too many people will argue that Minnesota has a more talent in their starting 5, but they certainly have an advantage in depth. Get Hummel, Johnson, or Moore in foul trouble and we have a chance.

I expect the number of blowflies circling the carcass that is Iowa basketball to outnumber the paid fans by a factor of 10 by the time the B10 season starts.

That, IMHO, is one of the funniest lines ever on GH. :clap:

Top Bottom