Big 10 QBs

mnsports1

Reaction score
With our offense, this is how I would rank the Big 10 QBs if I could have any of them this year-

1. Pryor
2. Robinson
3. Chappell
4. Persa
5. Stanzi
6. Weber
7. Cousins
8. Tolzien
9. Marve
10. Bolden
11. Scheelhaase

What do you have against Cousins? He is probably third, but certainly better than Weber.

Cousins is way too low. Tolzien is the equivalent of Trent Dilfer, but that is all they ask of him.

I was considering posting something similar to this but we are only one Big 10 game into the season. With so few games, and a lot of non-conference cream puffs on everyone's schedule... it is really tough to figure anything meaningful out of the current statistic totals.

However, for what it is worth... considering Weber's young receiving group, as well as other disadvantages in running game, etc... he is currently stacking up well in the group of Big 10 QB's.

with our "weapons" I believe Stanzi, Cousins, and Weber would all look very similar.

When you say "offense"... does that include coaching and playcalling?

Haha um...by not having Robinson as #1, I can't take this seriously, the dude's all but got the Heisman wrapped up already

while I like Robinson, I don't believe him being invited to NY is better than 50/50. He is just getting into the B 10 season where MI will lose multiple games due to their D...and I have a hard time believing he will stay healthy playing as he currently is. ButI'd love to have him on my team.

No way Weber is that high. Only Bolden is clearly worse at this point, but since he is a true frosh, I would rather have him too.

2010 Weber: 146.2 efficiency
2009 Weber: 114.7

2010 Weber: 62.3 completion %
2009 Weber: 52.0

2010 Weber: 9 TDs
2009 Weber: 13

2010 Weber: 4
2009 Weber: 15

2010 Weber: 239.8 yards
2009 Weber: 198.6

47th in the country in total offense. 109th in total offense last year.

Weber is not the issue.

No way Weber is that high. Only Bolden is clearly worse at this point, but since he is a true frosh, I would rather have him too.

This is completely false, other than the part about rather having Bolden, which is an opinion (which I would argue is a strange one, considering Bolden has lower completion %, yards per attempt, yardage, rating, and has thrown only 3 TD's to 6 INT's).

Weber is an issue! He is not an issue to people who only look at his statistics this year. He isn't a winner. As terrible as the defense has been they have left the team with a chance to win both the USD and Northwestern game. Weber was able to lead the offense on drives to either secure (Northwestern) or gain the lead (Northwestern, USD). Granted the team should have never been in that position against USD.

Weber is an issue! He is not an issue to people who only look at his statistics this year. He isn't a winner. As terrible as the defense has been they have left the team with a chance to win both the USD and Northwestern game. Weber was able to lead the offense on drives to either secure (Northwestern) or gain the lead (Northwestern, USD). Granted the team should have never been in that position against USD.

I'm looking at EVERYTHING and I am seeing him as a decent Big 10 QB this year. Looking at everything, I see him looking much better if he played on a better team. This wasn't the case last year, but everything was so screwed up last year (right down to him having to think about how he physically threw the ball) I am surprised he was able to line up behind the center.

He is playing much better this year without Decker but how many times to I have to read how horrible he'd be if he didn't have Decker to bail him out?

The improvement isn't ALL him (the O line is protecting much better this year), just like the poor play hasn't been ALL his fault in the past.

This is completely false, other than the part about rather having Bolden, which is an opinion (which I would argue is a strange one, considering Bolden has lower completion %, yards per attempt, yardage, rating, and has thrown only 3 TD's to 6 INT's).

Which is completely false and which is opinion? I'm saying, given that we are 1-4, that I would rather have Bolden starting for this team than Weber. Bolden's upside is much higher, and game reps are good. I think that's completely logical, even if you don't agree.

I'm looking at EVERYTHING and I am seeing him as a decent Big 10 QB this year. Looking at everything, I see him looking much better if he played on a better team. This wasn't the case last year, but everything was so screwed up last year (right down to him having to think about how he physically threw the ball) I am surprised he was able to line up behind the center.

He is playing much better this year without Decker but how many times to I have to read how horrible he'd be if he didn't have Decker to bail him out?

The improvement isn't ALL him (the O line is protecting much better this year), just like the poor play hasn't been ALL his fault in the past.

What better team? He has fine protection, decent running game, and receivers are open. He's not getting it done! You want to give him all the credit for the stats, but Bennett was uncovered on that long touchdown, and the pass was poor. So he gets all the credit for the production, but none of the blame for the stalled drives. It's the exact flip side of the coin. He's just not very good, that's it. And he's played against nothing but bad defenses so far. Wait til we start playing PSU, OSU, Iowa. We aren't going to score many points.

Yes, he is playing better this year. I'll assume you agree with my previous post. He is a middle of the road big ten QB. There are probably 5-6 in the conference that are better. The difference without decker is that he latches onto a different receiver each game and not the same one each week. I agree that the poor play isn't all his fault. I simply believe his play has lost more games than it has won. WE jsut played one of the worst statistical pass defenses in the Big10 and he couldn't get the ball into the hands of the teams best play maker in a game they lost by one point, that says it all!

What better team? He has fine protection, decent running game, and receivers are open. He's not getting it done! You want to give him all the credit for the stats, but Bennett was uncovered on that long touchdown, and the pass was poor. So he gets all the credit for the production, but none of the blame for the stalled drives. It's the exact flip side of the coin. He's just not very good, that's it. And he's played against nothing but bad defenses so far. Wait til we start playing PSU, OSU, Iowa. We aren't going to score many points.

In other words: blame him for everything, even the touchdown passes that don't look the way you want them to look.

Oh, and somebody has to alert the media that USC and Northwestern have bad defenses.

I was considering posting something similar to this but we are only one Big 10 game into the season. With so few games, and a lot of non-conference cream puffs on everyone's schedule... it is really tough to figure anything meaningful out of the current statistic totals.

However, for what it is worth... considering Weber's young receiving group, as well as other disadvantages in running game, etc... he is currently stacking up well in the group of Big 10 QB's.

My guess is that you know what this is worth. Sheesh!

Their pass defenses are the weak links on the defense and probably considered below average for D1.

2010 Weber: 146.2 efficiency
2009 Weber: 114.7

2010 Weber: 62.3 completion %
2009 Weber: 52.0

2010 Weber: 9 TDs
2009 Weber: 13

2010 Weber: 4
2009 Weber: 15

2010 Weber: 239.8 yards
2009 Weber: 198.6

47th in the country in total offense. 109th in total offense last year.

Weber is not the issue.

Any qb who can fail in mechanics so often is an issue. Numbers don't exactly lie, but they don't exactly tell the truth either.

Stanzi tackles much better on defense. He'd never give up 8/11 on third down or give up nearly 500 yards.

In other words: blame him for everything, even the touchdown passes that don't look the way you want them to look.

Oh, and somebody has to alert the media that USC and Northwestern have bad defenses.

I believe what he is saying is even his "good" plays aren't really all that good. If you watch the games the WR's are constantly bailing him out with good catches on poorly thrown balls. The Bennett TD pass is just the perfect example he made him stop and come back to the ball it's one thing to put the ball on a wide open WR and make him slow down but to make him come back to the ball and make a tough catch is another. Plus the stats a severly inflated due to us trailing in so many games and teams preventing the big play and him taking the check down.

I have Stanzi ahead of Weber, only because he makes fewer mistakes (although his D does not make him pay for every single one either). You can argue Cousins is better, but on this team I think he would post a similar record to Weber. With Tolzein I have a very hard time believing we would be any better. He just does not impress me at all, and he has the running game of all running games behind him. I think WI would be undefeated so far with Weber facing all the 9 men in the box that WI gets. (unfortunately I can't prove any of this)

I believe what he is saying is even his "good" plays aren't really all that good. If you watch the games the WR's are constantly bailing him out with good catches on poorly thrown balls. The Bennett TD pass is just the perfect example he made him stop and come back to the ball it's one thing to put the ball on a wide open WR and make him slow down but to make him come back to the ball and make a tough catch is another. Plus the stats a severly inflated due to us trailing in so many games and teams preventing the big play and him taking the check down.

If Lair catches a perfectly thrown ball we beat NW too.

The same people going by stats are the same ones who only go by star ratings as well...

Weber gets a lot padded during garbage time, the numbers don't tell the whole story...

With our offense, this is how I would rank the Big 10 QBs if I could have any of them this year-

1. Pryor
2. Robinson
3. Chappell
4. Persa
5. Stanzi
6. Weber
7. Cousins
8. Tolzien
9. Marve
10. Bolden
11. Scheelhaase

With another couple of weekends in the rear-view mirror would you care to update your rankings?
coffee.gif

What better team? He has fine protection, decent running game

What running game have you been watching? You must have only seen one Gopher game this season.

Yeah, the new Purdue kid deserves some props.

Top Bottom