Big 10/Pac 12 reach scheduling agreement that has all 12 teams playing in 2017

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per @PeteThamelNYT

"BREAKING: Pac-12 and Big Ten enter scheduling agreement. All 12 teams playing an inter-league football game starting 2017."

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if they will ensure that the years that the Big Ten teams have five road games that they will get to host the Pac 12 game. That may be difficult to do, but playing five road games AND a non-conference road game against a Pac 12 school will all but guarantee a program like us scheduling the remaining three non-conference games against programs that we should be able to handle easily I would imagine.

We already have Oregon State on the schedule for 2017 and 2018 so that may just stay, but I wonder if this means we'll keep Navy on the schedule for 2019-2020.

Go Gophers!!

That is awesome news, hopefully it will stick around. I'm always looking for another reason to get out on the road, hopefully they will get the WI/IA/NE road trips figured out so they aren't all in the same year.

I wonder if they will ensure that the years that the Big Ten teams have five road games that they will get to host the Pac 12 game. That may be difficult to do, but playing five road games AND a non-conference road game against a Pac 12 school will all but guarantee a program like us scheduling the remaining three non-conference games against programs that we should be able to handle easily I would imagine.

We already have Oregon State on the schedule for 2017 and 2018 so that may just stay, but I wonder if this means we'll keep Navy on the schedule for 2019-2020.

Go Gophers!!
Good deal for two conferences that will be playing 9 conference games. Now everyone can find two cream puffs to fill out schedule at home.

Can someone bump this in 6 years?

(Thanks for posting Bleed. Not a shot at you. Just saw the "2017" and almost spit out my lunch)

Things are going to get interesting. Iowa already has to play Iowa St. and now a PAC 12 team each year. That leaves them one game to schedule. Add to that all the teams that already play Notre Dame. Eventually ND is going to have to join a conference if they don't have anyone to play.

From @ESPN_BigTen:

"Big piece of story: Big Ten will re-evalute whether to go with nine conference games beginning in 2017. Could be tough now."

Go Gophers!!

From @BFeldmanCBS:

"Of the 23 head coaches now in Pac12/BigTen, I doubt more than a dozen will still be at those same schools by 2017."

Go Gophers!!

As a Pac 12 and Big 10 alum, this is awesome. Great places to travel to and helps keep the Rose Bowl vibe going with the two conferences. Hope they keep the the series with my Beavers as is. This will simplify scheduling for all involved.

I wonder if they can do the scheduling similar to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in basketball where the projected #1 team in the ACC plays the projected #1 team in the Big Ten. I know football schedules are usually determined far out but I think I would be a cool way to do it.

From @ESPN_BigTen:

"Big piece of story: Big Ten will re-evalute whether to go with nine conference games beginning in 2017. Could be tough now."

Go Gophers!!
I wonder if the PAC 12 will re-evaluate as well.

Hammer Time said:
I wonder if they can do the scheduling similar to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in basketball where the projected #1 team in the ACC plays the projected #1 team in the Big Ten. I know football schedules are usually determined far out but I think I would be a cool way to do it.

Hope not. I would love to have the Ducks come to TCF!

Not saying they would, but if they set it up based on record (overall) from the year before, here would roughly be next year's matchups:

Oregon vs Wisconsin
Stanford vs Michigan State
USC vs Michigan
Washington vs Penn State
Cal vs Nebraska
Utah vs Iowa
UCLA vs Purdue
Arizona State vs Ohio State
Arizona vs Northwestern
Washington State vs Illinois
Oregon State vs Minnesota
Colorado vs Indiana

Not so sure I like this arrangement. It sets up the possibility of playing two teams twice during the year. One team in the B1g Championship and one in the Rose Bowl. A B1G-ACC matchup may be better. There you get the opportunity of playing the likes of Florida State and Miami. This also gives us better exposure in the Southeast for recruiting purposes.

Not so sure I like this arrangement. It sets up the possibility of playing two teams twice during the year. One team in the B1g Championship and one in the Rose Bowl. A B1G-ACC matchup may be better. There you get the opportunity of playing the likes of Florida State and Miami. This also gives us better exposure in the Southeast for recruiting purposes.

The ACC will have 14 teams in two years, so it doesn't work for football.

Personally, I love this plan. As Delany said, there's no downside.

If it gets the Big Ten to recant the idiotic nine-game schedule idea, this is welcome news. If not, this announcement gets an emphatic "meh".

Love that its not just for FB and love that it will hopefully eliminate a 9 game B1G schedule.

I don't see why they couldn't at least get close to this. It might be that they have to schedule home games a couple years in advance and it's the top away team vs. the top home team, but they should be able to do it to some extent.

I love the idea! I hate this aspect of it...From USA Today

By 2017, each team's nonconference football schedule will include one game against a team from the other league. One could be featured annually as a preseason kickoff event, perhaps staged at the Rose Bowl. Others could be played in neighboring NFL stadiums, including the planned Farmers Field in downtown Los Angeles, the San Francisco 49ers' new facility or Chicago's Soldier Field.

Basketball games similarly could land in such NBA arenas as Los Angeles' Staples Center or Chicago's United Center, four teams sometimes gathering for doubleheaders.

The Rose Bowl would be cool, but please don't use NFL venues.

Not saying they would, but if they set it up based on record (overall) from the year before, here would roughly be next year's matchups:

Oregon vs Wisconsin
Stanford vs Michigan State
USC vs Michigan
Washington vs Penn State
Cal vs Nebraska
Utah vs Iowa
UCLA vs Purdue
Arizona State vs Ohio State
Arizona vs Northwestern
Washington State vs Illinois
Oregon State vs Minnesota
Colorado vs Indiana

My guess is they won't do it like this. Matching the top teams against each other will hurt National Championship chances. Unless the BCS is changed to a +1 or playoff, I think they will match up the good against the average or bad.

I'd hate it if the Gophers played in the Rose Bowl before playing in an actual Rose Bowl. But logically that probably isn't going to happen (i.e. they'd need to be good enough to have made the real RB first before they'd warrant a marquee kickoff slot).

My guess is they won't do it like this. Matching the top teams against each other will hurt National Championship chances. Unless the BCS is changed to a +1 or playoff, I think they will match up the good against the average or bad.
Dunno, good against average maybe. Good against bad will simply get the lower half of each conference revolting because of it's impact on bowl eligibility. Plus, the TV people won't stand for too many crummy matchups.

Dunno, good against average maybe. Good against bad will simply get the lower half of each conference revolting because of it's impact on bowl eligibility. Plus, the TV people won't stand for too many crummy matchups.

Yeah that would probably make more sense. You could see the #1 team in one league play the #4 or #5 team in the other. You could match up the bottom three or four in each league as well.

Starts in Basketball and Olympic Sports next year. Would fit in with a nine game schedule if the Pac 12 game is at home for the "4 Home Game" years.

Top Bottom