Big 10 conference games only: Gophers have had 7th best defense over three years.

Trisuper

Banned
Reaction score
If you go to the official Big 10 conference web site, you can get team football statistics going back several years. Unfortunately, I could not come up with statistics for the 2013 season. I am, therefore, showing team defense statistics for the last three years only. This throws out a good 2013 season but also excludes the awful 2011 season.
It is important to note that these statistics are for conference games only, thus excluding non-conference results--especially for teams that played very easy non-conference schedules (e.g., Iowa). Here's how the Gophers did:
Scoring defense: 6th, 10th and 6th (7.33 average)
Total defense: 7th, 9th and 7th (7.67 average)
Rushing defense: 4th, 10th and 6th (6.67 average)
Passing defense: 13th, 4th and 4th (7.33 average)
The average of these averages is 7.25, meaning that Minnesota's defenses have been slightly above average over the past three years. Not that bad but not exactly world-beating, either.

Middle of the pack ... better than it has been for most of my 45 years as a fan. And the best pass defense we've had. I hope Fleck can keep it going. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to see the breakdown in the West only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be true. I was mocked and ridiculed for suggesting it wasn't a great defense but memerly a good one.

2013 Big Ten only games
(cfbstats.com)

Scoring defense 4th
Rushing defense 8th
Pass defense 4th
Total defense 5th

In my opinion the only one that matters is scoring D, and when you consider that, it was a ranking of 6.5 over the last 4 years. Considering our offense and the last 40 years of Gopher defenses, that's a very good 4 year stretch on defense.

Big Ten games only
2016 total offense 11th
2015 total offense 12th
2014 total offense 9th
2013 total offense 11th

I think total offense is a better measure than scoring offense because it tells how well you control the ball. Scoring offense can be skewed by defensive and special teams scores as well as great field position set up by the defense.

2013 Big Ten only games
(cfbstats.com)

Scoring defense 4th
Rushing defense 8th
Pass defense 4th
Total defense 5th

From that same site for 2016

Scoring - 4th
Rushing - 2nd
Passing - 13th
Total - 4th

If you go to the official Big 10 conference web site, you can get team football statistics going back several years. Unfortunately, I could not come up with statistics for the 2013 season. I am, therefore, showing team defense statistics for the last three years only. This throws out a good 2013 season but also excludes the awful 2011 season.
It is important to note that these statistics are for conference games only, thus excluding non-conference results--especially for teams that played very easy non-conference schedules (e.g., Iowa). Here's how the Gophers did:
Scoring defense: 6th, 10th and 6th (7.33 average)
Total defense: 7th, 9th and 7th (7.67 average)
Rushing defense: 4th, 10th and 6th (6.67 average)
Passing defense: 13th, 4th and 4th (7.33 average)
The average of these averages is 7.25, meaning that Minnesota's defenses have been slightly above average over the past three years. Not that bad but not exactly world-beating, either.

From a statistical standpoint you can't average teams places as an index of how they have performed.

Insert Heather Ledger's joker clapping in jail meme here

Famous-Heath-Ledger-As-The-Joker-Clapping-For-James-Gordon-In-The-Dark-Knight.gif

What does this mean -

Fleck supporter attempting to show the defenses weren't that good under Claeys - thereby allowing the Flecksters some wiggle room just in case the defense is not as strong next year.

i.e. - next season: Me: "The defense has taken a step backwards under Fleck."
Flecksters: "Yeah, well they weren't so hot under Claeys either - just look at my stats."

Our defense hasn't been great, but it has been good enough that had it been paired with an offense that wasn't mystified by the concept of the forward pass, we could have been a serious threat to win the West.

Our secondary has been very strong, pass rush has been lacking at times but overall the D was good enough to keep us in most games which is all you can really ask. Unfortunately the same could not be said for our offense when we went up against good teams.

I'm not even going to measure defensive stats or team wins for the next two years.

There is a culture change that needs to take place, and it will take two years at least to find a veteran QB to lead the team like Mitch Leidner was.

I'm not even going to measure defensive stats or team wins for the next two years.

There is a culture change that needs to take place, and it will take two years at least to find a veteran QB to lead the team like Mitch Leidner was.

Stats are great for discussion, even planning purposes, but in the end the only stat that matters is W - L. I do belive that defense wins games and championships, so bring on these defensive stats and let's go win a championship!

Our defense hasn't been great, but it has been good enough that had it been paired with an offense that wasn't mystified by the concept of the forward pass, we could have been a serious threat to win the West.

Our secondary has been very strong, pass rush has been lacking at times but overall the D was good enough to keep us in most games which is all you can really ask. Unfortunately the same could not be said for our offense when we went up against good teams.
I give Sawvel a lot of credit for the Defense and strong DB position group. It makes me wonder who needed who more. Sawvel needed TC or TC needed Sawvel. I suspect the latter.

I give Sawvel a lot of credit for the Defense and strong DB position group. It makes me wonder who needed who more. Sawvel needed TC or TC needed Sawvel. I suspect the latter.

I think Sawvel was good (especially with DBs), but TC doesn't get enough credit. He was highly thought of by players as a great defensive coach. I would say Sawvel needed TC more. We'll see how Sawvel does at Wake Forest.

I think Sawvel was good (especially with DBs), but TC doesn't get enough credit. He was highly thought of by players as a great defensive coach. I would say Sawvel needed TC more. We'll see how Sawvel does at Wake Forest.
It's pretty rare to see players say anything about their coach that isn't praise. They may very well think highly of a coach that thinks highly of them. That doesn't really prove anything.

It's pretty rare to see players say anything about their coach that isn't praise. They may very well think highly of a coach that thinks highly of them. That doesn't really prove anything.
I meant even relative to Sawvel, which was my point.

Ps- I have heard plenty of players trash former coaches. Maybe not in the press, but privately.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

LOL. Remember when this moron pretended to only create an account to clear up some factual issues regarding the EoAA report? Those were good times.

I just have to say, I'm SHOCKED that he also hated the 9-4 football team last year.

What does this mean -

Fleck supporter attempting to show the defenses weren't that good under Claeys - thereby allowing the Flecksters some wiggle room just in case the defense is not as strong next year.

i.e. - next season: Me: "The defense has taken a step backwards under Fleck."
Flecksters: "Yeah, well they weren't so hot under Claeys either - just look at my stats."

I guess people who strongly support both the University of Minnesota and its football program are just "Flecksters" now and people who worship departed head coaches are the only "true Gopher fans."
I expect the Gophers to rank among the top 3 defensive teams in the Big 10 West and among the top 3 offensive teams in the entire Big 10. They will never finish 12th or worse in the conference on passing offense as so many of Kill's teams did. That should win them one or two Big 10 West titles over the next five years.
Mr. Ornery insists that Claeys supporters be given time to mourn so that they can be helped to eventually support Fleck. How about Mr. Ornery's people stop impugning the motives of Fleck supporters and let us enjoy and explore this great new hire? Don't hold your breath waiting for THIS to happen. Those who have posted all day, every day at GopherHole for years aren't going to let anyone else have their say on THEIR message board. Sad.

Using UpNorth's logic, we also had a pretty decent offensive team the last 3 years. We averaged 6th in the Big 10 over that period.

That's pretty decent!

I guess people who strongly support both the University of Minnesota and its football program are just "Flecksters" now and people who worship departed head coaches are the only "true Gopher fans."
I expect the Gophers to rank among the top 3 defensive teams in the Big 10 West and among the top 3 offensive teams in the entire Big 10. They will never finish 12th or worse in the conference on passing offense as so many of Kill's teams did. That should win them one or two Big 10 West titles over the next five years.
Mr. Ornery insists that Claeys supporters be given time to mourn so that they can be helped to eventually support Fleck. How about Mr. Ornery's people stop impugning the motives of Fleck supporters and let us enjoy and explore this great new hire? Don't hold your breath waiting for THIS to happen. Those who have posted all day, every day at GopherHole for years aren't going to let anyone else have their say on THEIR message board. Sad.

It's because all you have done is come here and make creepy comments about consensual sexual activities and blast the old regime.

Most people here like PJ Fleck, but you are a kool-aid drinking creepo.

Lastly, who is stopping you from making your idiotic comments? No one. I love it! It's like watching a car crash. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with it and not point at you and laugh.

Using UpNorth's logic, we also had a pretty decent offensive team the last 3 years. We averaged 6th in the Big 10 over that period.

That's pretty decent!

Hey now, don't ya know facts don't work with this clown?

Top Bottom