Betts Set to Reclassify and Join Gophers This Fall!

Well, unless everyone involved is lying, the Gophers went to Betts and suggested that he consider enrolling early.

You don't do that unless you have a plan for that player and see an immediate need that he can fill.

Sure, he could red-shirt, and learn in practice, but if the coaches have no plan for him to play, then why not just let him go to prep school and log major minutes against quality competition.

So, until I see otherwise, I am proceeding on the assumption that he is coming in to be a part of the team and will be getting playing time.
This assumes he would get "major minutes" at the prep school. Perhaps he is a bench guy in prep school and thus being a bench guy on the Gophers is a step up in competition. Don't under estimate the level of improvement via practice alone. Games are just the performance of what you have done in practice.
Ben seems like a process guy. The process is in practice. The showtime is in a game. I trust the process and see a possible redshirt as a win-win for Betts and the U.

This assumes he would get "major minutes" at the prep school. Perhaps he is a bench guy in prep school and thus being a bench guy on the Gophers is a step up in competition. Don't under estimate the level of improvement via practice alone. Games are just the performance of what you have done in practice.
Ben seems like a process guy. The process is in practice. The showtime is in a game. I trust the process and see a possible redshirt as a win-win for Betts and the U.
Also being able to access the U's resources in weight training, nutrition, and other facets besides just basketball. I don't think they'll redshirt him because of numbers, but even if he went to Huntington Prep and played they still don't provide what the U does in those areas. The prep schools are overrated in my opinion unless you are truly using it for a post grad year or you are not playing any comp at your high school level (which I believe Betts played in a small school at Colorado).

Yeah I would much prefer the guy in our program a year early than one year at a prep school. Even if he doesn't see a minute of game action, all the practice and teaching is worth it. Dave Thorson teaching defense is invaluable.

A B10 strength and conditioning program blows a prep school out of the water for developing his body.

And he can work on the specific skills Ben wants him to focus on, learn the offense and team defense, etc.

Yeah I would much prefer the guy in our program a year early than one year at a prep school. Even if he doesn't see a minute of game action, all the practice and teaching is worth it. Dave Thorson teaching defense is invaluable.

A B10 strength and conditioning program blows a prep school out of the water for developing his body.

And he can work on the specific skills Ben wants him to focus on, learn the offense and team defense, etc.
Some prep school coaches might be run and gun guys who ignore defense and sound fundamentals. Even if he doesn't see the floor a year of tough practices and learning defense -- Ben's system -- might be better preparation than prep school.

He has to be coming in to play, right?

Would you really ask him to sacrifice his senior year of high school (homecoming, prom, etc.) just to sit on the bench in Minneapolis as a redshirt??
He has way better things than high school ahead of him.

according to the Marcus Fuller article in the Strib, it sounds like the Gophers went to Betts with the idea of re-classifying, if I'm reading this right. If the Gophers went to Betts and said "we want you right away," that sounds like they see him as a contributor - not some guy who is going to sit on the end of the bench.

A month ago, Johnson and the Gophers staff presented Betts with the option to reclassify since they still had two scholarships available for the 2022-23 season. Adding depth was ideal after losing junior forward Parker Fox to a season-ending knee injury this summer.

"My family and I talked it over and thought about it," Betts said Monday. "It felt like the right decision. Initially when they offered me the plan was to go into the Class of 2023, but they presented another opportunity. I'm very confident and excited to get there and work on my body, my game to compete at the Big Ten level."

"To help Minnesota win is my main purpose and goal," Betts said. "[Johnson] envisions a very powerful program, a top 25 program year in and year out. With the moves he's making and his passion for the game, it's looking bright for Minnesota for sure."
Ben sure doesn't seem like he expects Betts to play in this interview, talks about getting him in the weight room for a year.

Ben sure doesn't seem like he expects Betts to play in this interview, talks about getting him in the weight room for a year.

Thanks for sharing the interview. I thought Johnson seemed a little more positive about Betts seeing the court this year.

"The good part is that he now has a year to get with us not only academically but in the weight room... on the court... get used to our system and style and college basketball. For us, it was a home run."

Johnson says that Betts is very mature for a 17 year old and can handle the transition to college.

Will need him even more, now.....
His chance of earning a spot in the rotation this year certainly went up with the Ihnen news. Going to come down to what Freshman are the most ready because there will be minutes to be had for the young guys.

Top Bottom