Betts Set to Reclassify and Join Gophers This Fall!

Okay---help me understand this. So is he currently a junior in high school, and heading in to his senior year there this fall? Now he's going to skip his senior year in Colorado and enroll as a freshman at the U? Does he then get credit for his HS diploma by taking classes at the U? Or is it like kids here in MN that take advanced placement classes their senior year at local colleges and then also get credit for college courses. Someone please explain the process to me. (or is he graduating a year early from high school)

Zakai Zeigler (who visited the Gophers originally for the 2022 class and then reclassified for 2021 and went to Tennessee) was a major contributor for a tournament team as a frosh. Let's hope Kadyn follows that path!
That's a good one. Emoni Bates was a huge flop, Kristian Lander (ind), nfaly Dante (ore), Devin Askew (ken, tex) are a few 5* guys who flopped or transferred. Again I think its WAY better than giving it to a walk on, I'm just saying there have been times it hasn't. Hopefully he gives us a nice boost Ala Zakai or a Meechie Johnson

That's a good one. Emoni Bates was a huge flop, Kristian Lander (ind), nfaly Dante (ore), Devin Askew (ken, tex) are a few 5* guys who flopped or transferred. Again I think its WAY better than giving it to a walk on, I'm just saying there have been times it hasn't. Hopefully he gives us a nice boost Ala Zakai or a Meechie Johnson

I believe UCLA had a good one last year too who joined the team for the spring semester

What are your examples of this not working out?

There are actually quite a few. Bates being the most high profile. But some other notable ones that haven't worked out this far:

Moussa Cisse
Khristian Lander
N'Faly Dante
Enoch Boayke
Jonathan Aku(recruiting profile is very similar to Betts)
Addison Patterson
Meechie Johnson
Joey Baker
Devin Askew
Carter Whitt

All these guys, minus Aku, were much more highly regarded. I'm glad Betts is coming, but it's anything but a sure thing, especially given the front court depth.

Starting a new thread, this is big news:

University of Minnesota men's basketball coach Ben Johnson has announced that Kadyn Betts (Pueblo, Colo.) has joined the Golden Gopher program. A 6-8, 210-pound forward in the class of 2023, Betts will reclassify to the 2022 class and join the Gopher program in the fall of 2022.

"We are extremely excited to add Kadyn Betts to our 2022-23 Gopher roster," Johnson said. "Kadyn comes from a great basketball family. I love his high academic background along with his contagious passion and energy for Gopher Basketball. He has a great skill set with an ability to really shoot the basketball. I love his size and versatility he will bring to our wing position and I look forward to developing him both on and off the court."

Betts played prep basketball for Pueblo Central and the P.L.U.T.O. Prospects. He is listed as PrepHoops' 87th recruit in the Class of 2023. In his last season at Pueblo Central, Betts averaged 22.7 points, 12.3 record, 3.6 blocks, 2.0 assists and 1.7 steals per game. A team captain, Betts led Pueblo Central to a 23-4 record and a state 4A Final Four appearance. An all-state first team 4A selection last year, Betts led the state with 22 double doubles (points/rebounds) and ranked first in Colorado 4A in blocks (2.46), and second in scoring (22.7 ppg) and rebounding (12.3). The three-year starter, he also established over 1,000 career points during his junior year. Playing this summer with P.L.U.T.O. Prospects, Betts was named to the Battle at the Lakes 17U All-Tournament team, scored 31 points and had seven threes at the Freedom Classic in Denver and recently scored 43 points in a single game at the PrepHoops event in Atlanta this summer.

Off the court, Betts is a straight A student and was the junior class president his final year at Pueblo Central. Kadyn, the son of Kevin and Brook Betts, is the third person in his family to play collegiate basketball. His father, Kevin, played at San Diego State, while his brother, Kobi, played at Air Force and Colorado School of Mines.

Go Gophers!!

1 & Gone !!!

Okay---help me understand this. So is he currently a junior in high school, and heading in to his senior year there this fall? Now he's going to skip his senior year in Colorado and enroll as a freshman at the U? Does he then get credit for his HS diploma by taking classes at the U? Or is it like kids here in MN that take advanced placement classes their senior year at local colleges and then also get credit for college courses. Someone please explain the process to me. (or is he graduating a year early from high school)
He took classes this summer to graduate early. No HS classes at the U. Each states requirements are a little different to graduate, but he’s a smart kid and probably had most required classes done.

There are actually quite a few. Bates being the most high profile. But some other notable ones that haven't worked out this far:

Moussa Cisse
Khristian Lander
N'Faly Dante
Enoch Boayke
Jonathan Aku(recruiting profile is very similar to Betts)
Addison Patterson
Meechie Johnson
Joey Baker
Devin Askew
Carter Whitt

All these guys, minus Aku, were much more highly regarded. I'm glad Betts is coming, but it's anything but a sure thing, especially given the front court depth.
I guess it’s all in what you expect and consider a flop. I think Betts is coming in as a depth guy. Sometimes some early enrollees are expected to be stars and in most cases I don’t think it’s a great idea then.

I guess it’s all in what you expect and consider a flop. I think Betts is coming in as a depth guy. Sometimes some early enrollees are expected to be stars and in most cases I don’t think it’s a great idea then.
100%. Betts is not coming here to start. He acknowledged in a recent interview that he has to get stronger and improve his handle and expected to do so at the prep school. He knows that he isn't going to walk in and demand the ball. If he can come in early, get into the weight room, and get some quality coaching, he will be familiar with the sets and expectations whether he gets minutes this year or not.

That would be a fair assessment I guess since of the 5 enrolled he will be the lowest ranked 2022 recruit coming in according to 247

Someone who was breaking down all the player minutes in earlier threads should do another in this thread.
Where do the minutes come from and who loses minutes because of this?

I'm happy for the kid, I hope it works for him. He has a few months to hit the weight room and hit it hard!!! A 17 y/o in a mans league like the Big 10 will be difficult
I think it's a smart move. He goes to a Prep School to learn the game better, but here he can learn for a year from the coaches he chose to play for. This puts him in much better position to be a big contributor as a Sophomore.

Yes, I would consider this a depth move as well. Hopefully he can contribute positive minutes. My guess is he'll probably get about as much playing time as Thompson did last year. Hopefully the big improvement is between year's 1/2 when we might lose Garcia and Battle, and PT is there for the taking.

On one hand I'm very excited about this, get him here now, get him in the system and use the scholarship!

On the other hand these reclassify kids don't seem to work out much of the time and then they get frustrated and often leave. Let's hope Betts can give us something this year and we really build on this!
There is nothing to keep Ben from redshirting Betts this year while exposing him to D1 practice time. That gives Betts 5 years of education and 4 years of basketball at UMN. This is a win win in my book.

Nice.

Good thing we had scholarship available over transfer from d3

If you are going to prep school anyway I like the move. Worst case he redshirts which isn’t all bad Sounds like a smart young man getting an early start on life would seem to be something he can handle.

He has to be coming in to play, right?

Would you really ask him to sacrifice his senior year of high school (homecoming, prom, etc.) just to sit on the bench in Minneapolis as a redshirt??
He was going to a prep any way so missing senior events won’t play a factor

Most of the flops are high profile 1 & done types who have NBA aspirations & want to move their clock up for the draft

I am hoping he can earn a few minutes and get some better coaching and weight room work this year. Those are all positives, even if he doesn't contribute much/at all this year.

Hell even if he comes in and redshirts because he can't crack the lineup that is better than using the scholarship on a walk-on while he is at prep school.

As to him being a flop...I guess I would rather find out a year early that he doesn't have the chops to be a B10 player if it comes to that. He sounds very mature and academic oriented so I don't think he is risk to have issues there where an early enrollee may otherwise.

Overall, kudos to the coaching staff and Betts for making this move. I'm excited to watch him develop this year.

That would be a fair assessment I guess since of the 5 enrolled he will be the lowest ranked 2022 recruit coming in according to 247
Betts has lit it up this summer. I would 'bett' that he would have gotten a nice bump in the 2023 rankings.

Well, unless everyone involved is lying, the Gophers went to Betts and suggested that he consider enrolling early.

You don't do that unless you have a plan for that player and see an immediate need that he can fill.

Sure, he could red-shirt, and learn in practice, but if the coaches have no plan for him to play, then why not just let him go to prep school and log major minutes against quality competition.

So, until I see otherwise, I am proceeding on the assumption that he is coming in to be a part of the team and will be getting playing time.

He’s smart. He’s been playing great this summer. Those are good things but isn’t this the guy that that was kinda just recently discovered as a prospect by anybody? If I got the right guy…he was going to prep school to gain basketball playing experience with 40-50 games against quality opposition because of lesser opposition thus far in his career.

Hopefully, he can or has already elevated his game quickly and will feel comfortable. Great that he has the confidence to seize the opportunity…just hope for his sake, it works. Seems rushed because of need but he could be ready to contribute? Gophers watched him play. They must think so.
Good luck and welcome Kadyn!

He is graduating a year early from high school. Usually, if you pass everything and you take a few classes in the summer, you can accumulate enough credits to graduate early.

Well, unless everyone involved is lying, the Gophers went to Betts and suggested that he consider enrolling early.

You don't do that unless you have a plan for that player and see an immediate need that he can fill.

Sure, he could red-shirt, and learn in practice, but if the coaches have no plan for him to play, then why not just let him go to prep school and log major minutes against quality competition.

So, until I see otherwise, I am proceeding on the assumption that he is coming in to be a part of the team and will be getting playing time.
Makes sense to me.

If Fox never got hurt, perhaps he still goes to the prep school this year.

Do get a kick out of a couple of posters who were just adamant in the need to try and fill all the roster spots. Now they have reservations about how this addition was accomplished. Some funny stuff.
Yep, some are only happy when they have a reason to complain about something.

We need to fill the scholarship....oh wait...we filled the scholarship?....well then we needed to fill that scholarship with a different type of player......stupid coaches....no idea what they are doing......:)

Top Bottom