Betts Set to Reclassify and Join Gophers This Fall!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Starting a new thread, this is big news:

University of Minnesota men's basketball coach Ben Johnson has announced that Kadyn Betts (Pueblo, Colo.) has joined the Golden Gopher program. A 6-8, 210-pound forward in the class of 2023, Betts will reclassify to the 2022 class and join the Gopher program in the fall of 2022.

"We are extremely excited to add Kadyn Betts to our 2022-23 Gopher roster," Johnson said. "Kadyn comes from a great basketball family. I love his high academic background along with his contagious passion and energy for Gopher Basketball. He has a great skill set with an ability to really shoot the basketball. I love his size and versatility he will bring to our wing position and I look forward to developing him both on and off the court."

Betts played prep basketball for Pueblo Central and the P.L.U.T.O. Prospects. He is listed as PrepHoops' 87th recruit in the Class of 2023. In his last season at Pueblo Central, Betts averaged 22.7 points, 12.3 record, 3.6 blocks, 2.0 assists and 1.7 steals per game. A team captain, Betts led Pueblo Central to a 23-4 record and a state 4A Final Four appearance. An all-state first team 4A selection last year, Betts led the state with 22 double doubles (points/rebounds) and ranked first in Colorado 4A in blocks (2.46), and second in scoring (22.7 ppg) and rebounding (12.3). The three-year starter, he also established over 1,000 career points during his junior year. Playing this summer with P.L.U.T.O. Prospects, Betts was named to the Battle at the Lakes 17U All-Tournament team, scored 31 points and had seven threes at the Freedom Classic in Denver and recently scored 43 points in a single game at the PrepHoops event in Atlanta this summer.

Off the court, Betts is a straight A student and was the junior class president his final year at Pueblo Central. Kadyn, the son of Kevin and Brook Betts, is the third person in his family to play collegiate basketball. His father, Kevin, played at San Diego State, while his brother, Kobi, played at Air Force and Colorado School of Mines.

Go Gophers!!

This is great on a number of levels! Very excited to see what Kadyn can do. I feel like the staff may have an uncovered an off the radar gem!

On one hand I'm very excited about this, get him here now, get him in the system and use the scholarship!

On the other hand these reclassify kids don't seem to work out much of the time and then they get frustrated and often leave. Let's hope Betts can give us something this year and we really build on this!

On one hand I'm very excited about this, get him here now, get him in the system and use the scholarship!

On the other hand these reclassify kids don't seem to work out much of the time and then they get frustrated and often leave. Let's hope Betts can give us something this year and we really build on this!

Zakai Zeigler (who visited the Gophers originally for the 2022 class and then reclassified for 2021 and went to Tennessee) was a major contributor for a tournament team as a frosh. Let's hope Kadyn follows that path!

What are your examples of this not working out?

You wonder if CBJ set the expectation that he'll redshirt this year pending catastrophic injuries to other rotational players.

I know it's not as common these days, but getting a jump on college seems like a far better option than prep school when you are already committed to a college program and could start working towards a degree (which seems very important to Kadyn per the bio Bleed posted).

Worst case scenario, Kadyn knocks out some general courses, learns the system, benefits from a D1 strength/condition program, builds chemistry with the guys, and is another D1 athlete in the practice fold, hopefully pushing everyone else.

I like it a lot! There would be minimal downside if the coaching staff laid out reasonable expectations.

Last edited:

according to the Marcus Fuller article in the Strib, it sounds like the Gophers went to Betts with the idea of re-classifying, if I'm reading this right. If the Gophers went to Betts and said "we want you right away," that sounds like they see him as a contributor - not some guy who is going to sit on the end of the bench.

A month ago, Johnson and the Gophers staff presented Betts with the option to reclassify since they still had two scholarships available for the 2022-23 season. Adding depth was ideal after losing junior forward Parker Fox to a season-ending knee injury this summer.

"My family and I talked it over and thought about it," Betts said Monday. "It felt like the right decision. Initially when they offered me the plan was to go into the Class of 2023, but they presented another opportunity. I'm very confident and excited to get there and work on my body, my game to compete at the Big Ten level."

"To help Minnesota win is my main purpose and goal," Betts said. "[Johnson] envisions a very powerful program, a top 25 program year in and year out. With the moves he's making and his passion for the game, it's looking bright for Minnesota for sure."

I think a lot of people point to Emoni Bates but a ton of them have worked out.
Fair enough. Most that watch and do any background check on Bates know it didn’t work out so far because of other things that another year in HS basketball wouldn’t have fixed. Needs to move on from his dad. Sounds like Betts is very mature and that’s a good start.

according to the Marcus Fuller article in the Strib, it sounds like the Gophers went to Betts with the idea of re-classifying, if I'm reading this right. If the Gophers went to Betts and said "we want you right away," that sounds like they see him as a contributor - not some guy who is going to sit on the end of the bench.

A month ago, Johnson and the Gophers staff presented Betts with the option to reclassify since they still had two scholarships available for the 2022-23 season. Adding depth was ideal after losing junior forward Parker Fox to a season-ending knee injury this summer.

"My family and I talked it over and thought about it," Betts said Monday. "It felt like the right decision. Initially when they offered me the plan was to go into the Class of 2023, but they presented another opportunity. I'm very confident and excited to get there and work on my body, my game to compete at the Big Ten level."

"To help Minnesota win is my main purpose and goal," Betts said. "[Johnson] envisions a very powerful program, a top 25 program year in and year out. With the moves he's making and his passion for the game, it's looking bright for Minnesota for sure."
That answers my question about if this was because of Fox.

Ans: Yes

So, is he going to be 17 this fall, or just an unusual situation in high school?

Fair enough. Most that watch and do any background check on Bates know it didn’t work out so far because of other things that another year in HS basketball wouldn’t have fixed. Needs to move on from his dad. Sounds like Betts is very mature and that’s a good start.
And bright. Straight A student, class president.

Depending on how happy he is with the program or potential NIL $$ he maybe a one done and transfer.

He has to be coming in to play, right?

Would you really ask him to sacrifice his senior year of high school (homecoming, prom, etc.) just to sit on the bench in Minneapolis as a redshirt??

He has to be coming in to play, right?

Would you really ask him to sacrifice his senior year of high school (homecoming, prom, etc.) just to sit on the bench in Minneapolis as a redshirt??
Yeah he’s coming to play and add depth on the bench. All the doomsdayers on here when Fox got injured are pretty quiet right now. This is a good fill of the open scholarship available.

Great if he's going to have an instant impact. Risky if not. Seen it many times in college hockey.

Wait... weren't you really pushing to use the last couple of scholarships in another thread regardless of any frustration from deep bench players?!

The interviews that I have seen with Kadyn indicate that the U was a dream school. He spends his summers visiting family members in the state. I am sure that he will be more than happy to give it a go. If he doesn't see himself getting time, he has the option to redshirt. He was going to prep school this next year anyhow to prepare for the B1G... now he can prepare IN the B1G!

There had been a rumor that Betts might reclassify. I think this is a perfect opportunity to use the schollie for someone who bleeds Maroon and Gold AND can likely provide some depth. He has a different game than Fox but I like the addition to this year's roster.

It almost seems like Johnson might have known what he was doing by saving a scholarship!

Someone who was breaking down all the player minutes in earlier threads should do another in this thread.
Where do the minutes come from and who loses minutes because of this?

I'm happy for the kid, I hope it works for him. He has a few months to hit the weight room and hit it hard!!! A 17 y/o in a mans league like the Big 10 will be difficult

Top Bottom