Better Fan Experience

Lets hope the people that can make improvements read these legitimate concerning issues. Do season ticket holders ever receive surveys or feedback requests? The only thing worse than a Gopher loss is a poor fan experience.

There are several changes I'd love to see, but I could live with everything how it is if we can just speed up the ticket gate process. I don't like having to leave my tailgate an hour before kickoff just to ensure I will get in on time. Drop the security theater - it's not doing anything to make people safer.

Yesterday at Mariucci a poor 6ish year old boy was forced to unzip his large coat. I stood behind them as he struggled to do so while being heavily dressed in his hat and mittens and his parents are trying to watch after their other 2 kids. WTF do they think this kid is going to smuggle in his jacket? A little common sense would be nice.
This.

My theory is this has less to do with actual security and more to do with making sure people aren't "smuggling" in food and beverages because the prices are so damn outrageous.

As the weather turns colder, I have to remove my hat, open my jacket, shake out any blankets and have the clear bag inspected like I'm a drug mule on Locked Up Abroad. That is after I empty my pockets of all my other stuff. And at least twice a year we get routed to the side to measure the lens length on our camera ( with a tape measure) because security doesn't seem to know how long 6 inches is.

It is the most inefficient security theater I've ever experienced, and I quite honestly don't really understand what it is "preventing" other than liquor or food being smuggled in.

Do season ticket holders ever receive surveys or feedback requests?
We got a survey at the end of the season two or three years ago asking for general feedback on things like this. I think last year I got an email asking for feedback after every game (general "rate your overall experience" type of thing). I don't recall getting anything this year.

We got a survey at the end of the season two or three years ago asking for general feedback on things like this. I think last year I got an email asking for feedback after every game (general "rate your overall experience" type of thing). I don't recall getting anything this year.
They need to treat fans better. Businesses with poor sub-rate customer service & or customer experiences usually fail & goes out of business. Fans are an asset not a liability. We need more Wifi.

Lets hope the people that can make improvements read these legitimate concerning issues. Do season ticket holders ever receive surveys or feedback requests? The only thing worse than a Gopher loss is a poor fan experience.
Yes, and they have made improvements. There is a thread or two every season about this topic. I can literally count on one hand the number of times it taken me more than 5-10 minutes to get through and to my section. Just about every time it was basically my fault for getting to the stadium late or tailgating too long. Those who show up inside of an hour until kickoff and expect to park close and quickly and slip into the stadium with time to spare have a 50/50 chance of being disappointed.

Make a day of it like I do. I take the Green line, get off at Prospect Park stop, go to Malcolm Yards if open for a drink, or just walk over to join my usual tailgate. After, I walk back to Malcolm Yards (or O'Shannesseys or Surly), order some food and watch whatever game they have on the TVs (except Surly). If I drive, I park in the garage under Yudof by Coffman, but get there 1 1/2 to 2 hours before kickoff.

Efficient for whom?

Cash at concessions is super quick. Especially if you don’t need change.

Also, this thread was about changes people want to see. Didn’t realize it had to all be realistic! Sorry Dave.
Get better card readers! Two things will speed up the transaction. First get ones with wireless tap on the front, so the workers don't have to keep turning them around. Second, eliminate having to select the no-tip link. This isn't a restaurant! I don't tip at concession stands! And stay off my lawn!

Get better card readers! Two things will speed up the transaction. First get ones with wireless tap on the front, so the workers don't have to keep turning them around. Second, eliminate having to select the no-tip link. This isn't a restaurant! I don't tip at concession stands! And stay off my lawn!
I believe some staff the consessions as fundraisers...and it's almost no effort to hit the No Tip button. If we're down to that being something needing changing...

Why do they call it a live look in when it isn't? This is just another example of the root of the problem, clueless people who are out of touch are running things... And I would bet they are not sports fans themselves. Their hobbies are probably taking selfies or pictures of food, saving the world from perceived dangers, watching YouTube influencers and cat videos and supporting the PTA and reporting HSA violations ... Anything but sports, and it shows. Right or wrong it comes off as a bunch of soft, narcissistic Karens running the show.
It's been called that for as long as I remember . . . like at least since the stadium opened on campus . . . We've probably had at least 2 if not 3 different generations of folks who have contributed to running this.

1. Fix the entry issues. Get rid of the metal detectors...there aren't enough of them and they don't work. Makes zero sense why there are 8 detectors at an entrance and then 20 people standing around waiting to scan tickets.

2. Go back to cash. For nearly every game I'm bringing my kids (or a guest) and I'm responsible for buying the concessions. My kids are old enough to go get their own but if I'm going to treat them then I need to give them my card...which makes me nervous. Going cashless is not more efficient. Don't buy that for a second.

3. More band, less piped in music

4. Get more food options on the top concourse.
I think it's a nuanced situation. Cashless is more efficient because the people running concessions are volunteers who may not have practice entering a cash payment, and quickly counting out the change to give back to the customer. If you have an experienced cashier, the difference in efficiency goes away (and in the past sometimes you might have gotten lucky and the volunteer running the register had previous cashier experience). However, I would bet it was easier and cheaper to move to cashless than to either increase the training volunteers got or moving away from having volunteers run concessions.

From my experience at other B1G stadiums, I have not seen another school have volunteers run concessions like we do. I like that the U provides the opportunity for small organizations to do this to raise funds for themselves, but perhaps there is a happy middle ground. Maybe you have paid, trained cashiers taking orders and ringing up customers, and the volunteers are only covering retrieving the food and giving it to the customer.

I believe some staff the consessions as fundraisers...and it's almost no effort to hit the No Tip button. If we're down to that being something needing changing...
The tipping thing isn't unique to the Gopher stadium, but it's still super annoying. It's happening at a lot of places. The worst is when places ask for tips before you even have the service. And then asking for tips for things that absolutely don't need a tip. The _automated_ car wash by my house even asks for a tip and at most there is just a guy hanging around the building. The tip thing is a pretty common complaint (https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone.../businesses-asking-for-more-tips/71428135007/)

Make a day of it like I do. I take the Green line, get off at Prospect Park stop, go to Malcolm Yards if open for a drink, or just walk over to join my usual tailgate. After, I walk back to Malcolm Yards (or O'Shannesseys or Surly), order some food and watch whatever game they have on the TVs (except Surly). If I drive, I park in the garage under Yudof by Coffman, but get there 1 1/2 to 2 hours before kickoff.
Not everyone has the luxury of making a day of it. Some people have other things going on and devoting 5+ hours to a football game is a lot. I typically end up devoting 6-7 hours per game (commuting time included) and when I invite friends that aren't die hard Gopher fans and tell them the time involved, I sometimes get some very surprised reactions (although at this point I think I've realized which friends will put up with it and which ones won't).

Not everyone has the luxury of making a day of it. Some people have other things going on and devoting 5+ hours to a football game is a lot. I typically end up devoting 6-7 hours per game (commuting time included) and when I invite friends that aren't die hard Gopher fans and tell them the time involved, I sometimes get some very surprised reactions (although at this point I think I've realized which friends will put up with it and which ones won't).
It's no different of a time commitment than going to a Vikings game.

The tipping thing isn't unique to the Gopher stadium, but it's still super annoying. It's happening at a lot of places. The worst is when places ask for tips before you even have the service. And then asking for tips for things that absolutely don't need a tip. The _automated_ car wash by my house even asks for a tip and at most there is just a guy hanging around the building. The tip thing is a pretty common complaint (https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone.../businesses-asking-for-more-tips/71428135007/)
Yeah, I am hard pressed to think of a time where that tip option hasn't come up...

It's no different of a time commitment than going to a Vikings game.
Probably not, but I don't go to Vikings games... But with the length of a college football game (3.5 hours) and the parking situation at the U, it is definitely the biggest time commitment of any sporting event I normally attend (Gopher football, Gopher hockey, Wild, MN United, or Twins).

McDonald's and Target haven't started asking for tips....yet.
Neither does the grocery store or gas stations. I don't eat at fast food places but that's a good point...have any started asking?

The effort of hitting the no tip button isn't the issue. I'm looking at time savings gained over many transactions.

Neither does the grocery store or gas stations. I don't eat at fast food places but that's a good point...have any started asking?
Not exactly fast food but Starbucks asks for a tip before the service.

Starbucks
Not exactly fast food but Starbucks asks for a tip before the service.
Starbucks must have high hiring standards & or great pay as their baristas usually have Masters & or PHDs.

I have family that works at Pizza Ranch. They ask for tip....and it's a buffet. Now I usually tip the bussers that pickup the used plates at buffets but I prefer to do that with cash AFTER I am done with my meal.

But the reason they ask for a tip electronically at the point of sale? They collect so much more. When I heard the difference in tips on an average night before and after they implemented the automated prompt it boggled my mind. People may hate it but they still do it.

Be more Wild like. People walking down the aisle during a play is fucking disrespectful. The Wild ushers will tackle your ass if you try and walk down while the puck is in play.

At a minimum, go down to a fucking knee....rant over
Absolutely. Had aisle seats and was a constant issue. There’s too much down time in a game to have a jackass drunkenly stopping in the stairs during a play

I can't speak for the major sports other than the Twins. They have church groups, youth etc., doing many of the concessions. Some people clearly need to be a tad more patient when dealing with them. They are doing the best they can.

As to tipping, very few offer round up to the nearest dollar. I think more people would at least do that.

Efficient for whom?

Cash at concessions is super quick. Especially if you don’t need change.

Also, this thread was about changes people want to see. Didn’t realize it had to all be realistic! Sorry Dave.
As you should be!!!!1!1@ :mad::mad::mad::mad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

I agree with what most have said on here, 2nd deck restrooms and concessions would be a huge help but agreed who knows what those construction costs would be to make it happen, though the stadium was designed to expand so maybe those connections are already in place?

Another thing I'd like to see is them add more speakers than just the big booming voice coming from the west end zone jumbotron.

Agreed with security, they got to find a way to get more people through the gates, why are we not utilizing the black walk through gates by the jumbotron? Open up 3 or 4 of them and take some pressure off the 2 gates being used on that side of the field everyone can filter out where they want to go once they get on the ground level from there.

He’s talking about idiots moving in and out of their seats/up and down the stairs during gameplay and it’s infuriating. The amount of people just putzing around on a big third down right in front of me finally got me to change sections.

Ushers have clearly not been instructed to limit it which further adds to the overall amateur feel of gameday.
Back in the day (not that long ago), people never entered or left a row while play was going on. In fact I remember that you wouldn't and couldn't even enter the aisle at football and hockey games while play was on.

It's mostly just plain self-centeredness, narcissism, and rudeness. That's our entitled society now. I paid my $50 to get into the stadium--I can do what I want, when I want.

I agree with what most have said on here, 2nd deck restrooms and concessions would be a huge help but agreed who knows what those construction costs would be to make it happen, though the stadium was designed to expand so maybe those connections are already in place?

Another thing I'd like to see is them add more speakers than just the big booming voice coming from the west end zone jumbotron.

Agreed with security, they got to find a way to get more people through the gates, why are we not utilizing the black walk through gates by the jumbotron? Open up 3 or 4 of them and take some pressure off the 2 gates being used on that side of the field everyone can filter out where they want to go once they get on the ground level from there.
It would be many $millions to add just concession stands and restrooms without an expanded superstructure. It's not like just adding a couple of rooms with pipes. The expansion would be on the open end, not additions to the existing second deck.

People with bags are causing the slowdowns. Another issue is people who don't empty their pockets. I literally had my wallet, phone, and keys in hand and walked through in 1 second. If everyone did this, there wouldn't be a problem.

For what it's worth, Autzen is similar in size, a bit larger and typical attendance is 102% of capacity. Getting into the stadium runs quite smoothly, easy and fast, someone might want to see what the differences are between how it's handled at the two stadiums. As for Autzen, fans don't sit down very often, maybe during timeouts and half time. Concessions are run by companies that contract with the University of Oregon. Fans coming and going during the game is pretty minimal, plus everyone is already on their feet. Might be a little more traffic in the isles just before halftime or at the end of the game, assuming it's not a close game. Basically, people stay in their assigned seat area during the game.

Top Bottom