Better Fan Experience

He’s talking about idiots moving in and out of their seats/up and down the stairs during gameplay and it’s infuriating. The amount of people just putzing around on a big third down right in front of me finally got me to change sections.

Ushers have clearly not been instructed to limit it which further adds to the overall amateur feel of gameday.
Agree. My seat is on the aisle…. The last game this year (Wisconsin), I counted one woman’s aloof, view blocking trips up and down the aisle during play…. 22 two way trips. Super irritating.

Not going to happen.
Lots of cashless places now...Target Field, Allianz, the X, Valleyfair. I'm sure there are others.

Lots of cashless places now...Target Field, Allianz, the X, Valleyfair. I'm sure there are others.
I don't think any major event/arena takes cash now. Add Target Center to that. Ford Field was cashless when we were there for the bowl game. Same with Lumen Field in Seattle.

He’s talking about idiots moving in and out of their seats/up and down the stairs during gameplay and it’s infuriating. The amount of people just putzing around on a big third down right in front of me finally got me to change sections.

Ushers have clearly not been instructed to limit it which further adds to the overall amateur feel of gameday.
Sounds like someone should just stay home next time. Not cut out for sitting in a stadium, maybe a theater though.

Better product on the field and on the sidelines. Just win baby...that solves all of the whining above!

I would like actual scores of other games, a crew that has an interest in showing replays and stop the long lines at the gate entrances.

Kind of simple stuff they will never get right.
Yes! I would rather see 2-3 plays from 5 games during the Big Ten Live Look In vs 15 plays from the same game.

I guess I can't think of anything particularly annoying about my current fan experience other than the long TV breaks. I wish football would go like many of the other sports (golf, auto racing, etc.) and show commercials while the game continues to go on in a picture-in-picture format. They don't have to do that for all breaks, but even a few done like that would make the game more enjoyable and better paced.

Yes! I would rather see 2-3 plays from 5 games during the Big Ten Live Look In vs 15 plays from the same game.
Why do they call it a live look in when it isn't? This is just another example of the root of the problem, clueless people who are out of touch are running things... And I would bet they are not sports fans themselves. Their hobbies are probably taking selfies or pictures of food, saving the world from perceived dangers, watching YouTube influencers and cat videos and supporting the PTA and reporting HSA violations ... Anything but sports, and it shows. Right or wrong it comes off as a bunch of soft, narcissistic Karens running the show.

Why do they call it a live look in when it isn't? This is just another example of the root of the problem, clueless people who are out of touch are running things... And I would bet they are not sports fans themselves. Their hobbies are probably taking selfies or pictures of food, saving the world from perceived dangers, watching YouTube influencers and cat videos and supporting the PTA and reporting HSA violations ... Anything but sports, and it shows. Right or wrong it comes off as a bunch of soft, narcissistic Karens running the show.
Well this was certainly...a take.

There are several changes I'd love to see, but I could live with everything how it is if we can just speed up the ticket gate process. I don't like having to leave my tailgate an hour before kickoff just to ensure I will get in on time. Drop the security theater - it's not doing anything to make people safer.

Yesterday at Mariucci a poor 6ish year old boy was forced to unzip his large coat. I stood behind them as he struggled to do so while being heavily dressed in his hat and mittens and his parents are trying to watch after their other 2 kids. WTF do they think this kid is going to smuggle in his jacket? A little common sense would be nice.

Efficient for whom?

Cash at concessions is super quick. Especially if you don’t need change.

Also, this thread was about changes people want to see. Didn’t realize it had to all be realistic! Sorry Dave.
Well and concessions speed has NOTHING to do with payment. It's the low hanging fruit, but that's not the problem at most spots. Everyone has paid and is waiting for their stuff at most locations that aren't grab and got type situations.

The issue is getting the damn food and items. Suzy from HR asking Dan from accounting and Anna the recruiter to get a couple items and just milling about is just .... it hurts to watch.

Oh and regardless that everyone is ordering maybe one of a couple things nothing is actually ready.

Last edited:

Well and concessions speed has NOTHING to do with payment. It's the low hanging fruit, but that's not the problem at most spots. Everyone has paid and is waiting for their stuff at most locations that aren't grab and got type situations.

The issue is getting the damn food and items. Suzy from HR asking Dan from accounting and Anna the recruiter to get a couple items and just milling about is just .... it hurts to watch.

Oh and regardless that everyone is ordering maybe one of a couple things nothing is actually ready.

I rarely get more than popcorn at games because of this. Unless I’m feeling cheese curds. Those are usually ready.

Negative: I buy zero beers at $13+ plus tip just on principle. I buy plenty of beers below $8. The beverage price increases this year were insane.

Positive: The tailgate scene has gotten pretty good over the years.
20 oz beer in 2015 at the Citrus bowl was $11, so $13 doesn't sound as bad 9 years later.

I ordered some of those giant cheese curds from the stand on the west end, right under the big jumbotron and what you describe is spot on. And like you said, nothing was sitting on the counter ready to grab-and-go when it was obvious everyone in my line wanted nothing but the cheese curds. I am not exaggerating, there were around 35 people working that entire stand and 4 people touched my bucket of curds before they were handed to me. I know this because I painfully watched the entire process from order, to fry, to delivery.

1. Fix the entry issues. Get rid of the metal detectors...there aren't enough of them and they don't work. Makes zero sense why there are 8 detectors at an entrance and then 20 people standing around waiting to scan tickets.

2. Go back to cash. For nearly every game I'm bringing my kids (or a guest) and I'm responsible for buying the concessions. My kids are old enough to go get their own but if I'm going to treat them then I need to give them my card...which makes me nervous. Going cashless is not more efficient. Don't buy that for a second.

3. More band, less piped in music

4. Get more food options on the top concourse.

1. Fix the entry issues. Get rid of the metal detectors...there aren't enough of them and they don't work. Makes zero sense why there are 8 detectors at an entrance and then 20 people standing around waiting to scan tickets.

2. Go back to cash. For nearly every game I'm bringing my kids (or a guest) and I'm responsible for buying the concessions. My kids are old enough to go get their own but if I'm going to treat them then I need to give them my card...which makes me nervous. Going cashless is not more efficient. Don't buy that for a second.

Good point on #4. That top concourse is very under utilized. A few bathrooms and concessions up there would do wonders to clear up traffic on the main concourse.

I'd be okay with it if they stopped pumping in this song...

...and this song...

...and found something different.

C'mon rock stars, I need your help.

Bring back East River Flats. I know there is still limited tailgating available there, but it's not a great option for most people. I also know it's the Minneapolis Park Board and not the U. But the U could work with the city to make it happen if they wanted to, just like the Vikings get special tailgating exceptions. ERF was 100 times better than the fairgrounds and was the only other affordable place to tailgate, especially for those without season tickets.

I talked about your point #2 last fall. I ended up buying a visa gift card for my kid to use at events. We basically just save it for that situation.

Good point on #4. That top concourse is very under utilized. A few bathrooms and concessions up there would do wonders to clear up traffic on the main concourse.
Agreed. That's a big opportunity that would relive a lot of concourse congestion. I think it was two years ago there was a tent on upper deck behind the student section where they had a flattop griddle and they were cooking up brats. It was great. This year that was taken away and the brats and corndogs are just in warmer containers after being cooked downstairs. The quality of those brats is now terrible after sitting in the warmer drying out for who knows how long. A few strategically placed quality concession options up on the upper deck would be a fantastic upgrade.

Restroom options up there would be great, but barring construction what's the option? Porta-johns? Even that would be great. Could they be serviced up there?

Agreed. That's a big opportunity that would relive a lot of concourse congestion. I think it was two years ago there was a tent on upper deck behind the student section where they had a flattop griddle and they were cooking up brats. It was great. This year that was taken away and the brats and corndogs are just in warmer containers after being cooked downstairs. The quality of those brats is now terrible after sitting in the warmer drying out for who knows how long. A few strategically placed quality concession options up on the upper deck would be a fantastic upgrade.

Restroom options up there would be great, but barring construction what's the option? Porta-johns? Even that would be great. Could they be serviced up there?
Yeah I assume it would have to be those, which aren't perfect but even 8-10 of those would be nice.

Top Bottom