Best transfers in Gopher Basketball History

Otis

Reaction score
I can't think of too many transfers prior to Pitino, so I thought I'd start this thread to see if some of you more knowledgeable guys can recall anyone from the old days who transferred in and set the world on fire.

Here are my top 5:

1. Bobby Jackson - Technically a JUCO recruit but for my purposes, college is college.
2. Dick Garmaker - Jersey in the rafters
3. Ron Behagen
4. Ray Williams - Can't believe I didn't know he was a transfer! One of my All-time Favorites!
5. Marcus Carr

Honorable Mentions: Vincent Grier, Joey King, Akeem Springs, Liam Robbins, Trevor Mbawkwe

I know there are more! Guard who came in and was injured for the NCAAs. (i'm bad with names)

Last edited:

Ray Williams from San Jacincto junior college in 75 or 76.
Vincent Grier who started at NC-Charlotte.
And there goes Joey King from the list! Ray was AWESOME!

Dick Garmaker was a JUCO who is hanging from the rafters at Williams Arena, was a consensus all-American, and averaged 23 points per game in two years, so he belongs on some list somewhere.

Reggie Lynch isn't top five and obviously had issues here, but he was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for an NCAA Tourney team, and likely belongs on the HM list.

I imagine Behagen somewhere on the list. Was the 7th pick overall. Third team All America
Ray Williams been mentioned. (Ray's brother Gus was a standout also. Mount Vernon high school had some players.))

Last edited:

Vince Grier was Juco wasn't he? If so, he jumps pretty high up there.

He came to us after one year at JC (Dixie St.) but prior to that he was at Charlotte for his Freshman season.

You guys just pushed Carr down to 5! Thanks for bringing the over-sights to my attention.

There is a pretty sick second team starting to form.

Mark Landsberger, Kris Humphries, Duluth’s Rickert

How about the good players for the
Gophers that transferred out like Leo Rautins, Ben Colemen, Mark Lansberger. Help me with more.

If Akeem Springs doesn't get hurt at the end of the 2016-2017 season the Gophers beat MTSU and Butler to advance to the second weekend of the tournament. It is a shame they got upset by MTSU.

Just below the honorable mention category I'd have an "also considered" category of J'son Stamper and Kevin Clark.

If I recall correctly Clark had some non injury health issues that hampered him. Stamper wasn't a great player but brought some real toughness to the court.

How about the good players for the
Gophers that transferred out like Leo Rautins, Ben Colemen, Mark Lansberger. Help me with more.
I think Royce White, Colton Iverson, Devoe Joseph, and Justin Cobbs all became all-conference after transferring out, and White and Iverson got drafted.

Dre Matthieu wasn’t a world beater, and he was a JUCO, but he was a pretty important contributor while he was here.

If Akeem Springs doesn't get hurt at the end of the 2016-2017 season the Gophers beat MTSU and Butler to advance to the second weekend of the tournament. It is a shame they got upset by MTSU.
You can type it but that does not make it so. Just another if.

Just below the honorable mention category I'd have an "also considered" category of J'son Stamper and Kevin Clark.

If I recall correctly Clark had some non injury health issues that hampered him. Stamper wasn't a great player but brought some real toughness to the court.
I loved both those guys.

Paul Carter is one of the rare ones that transferred in AND transferred out. His play probably doesn’t quite merit consideration for the All Transfer Team though.

Dan Coleman and Lawrence McKenzie probably get HM status

Paul Carter is one of the rare ones that transferred in AND transferred out. His play probably doesn’t quite merit consideration for the All Transfer Team though.

Travis Busch is on that rare list, as well

I can't think of too many transfers prior to Pitino, so I thought I'd start this thread to see if some of you more knowledgeable guys can recall anyone from the old days who transferred in and set the world on fire.

Here are my top 5:

1. Bobby Jackson - Technically a JUCO recruit but for my purposes, college is college.
2. Ray Williams - Can't believe I didn't know he was a transfer! One of my All-time Favorites!
3. Marcus Carr
4. Liam Robbins
5. Trevor Mbawkwe - BEAST! I loved watching him play.

Honorable Mentions: Vincent Grier, Joey King, Akeem Springs

I know there are more! Guard who came in and was injured for the NCAAs. (i'm bad with names)
I would add Ron Behagen

And Moe Hargrow, in reverse.

My childhood memory is a bit hazy, but the starters on the Musselman Big Ten winning team included Bob Nix and Clyde Turner. My recollection is that Nix was from a JC in Knetucky and Turner from a JC in Illinois or Indiana.

Kim Zurcher who started for Haskins' first two teams at SG was a JC transfer from Indiana.

Awesome post. Fun. I came up with Carmaker and Ray Williams who to this day is my favorite Gopher. Not only could he score the ball but his rebounding was incredible.

My childhood memory is a bit hazy, but the starters on the Musselman Big Ten winning team included Bob Nix and Clyde Turner. My recollection is that Nix was from a JC in Knetucky and Turner from a JC in Illinois or Indiana.

Kim Zurcher who started for Haskins' first two teams at SG was a JC transfer from Indiana.

R.I.P. Kim Zurcher.

Top Bottom