Best song played during a movie?

What comes to mind immediately are actually 2 songs toward the end of Goodfellas.

Layla

What is Life

Personally, a movie I just re-watched recently, I love how Adventureland opens with Bastards of the Young.

Never really cared for the movie, but I always thought the ending of "Interview With A Vampire" was well done, Cruise turns on the radio to the Guns N' Roses rendition of "Sympathy For The Devil"

This is my favorite Bowie song used for my favorite closing credits from my favorite Wes Anderson movie.

Along with Tarantino & Anderson, I think Guy Ritchie is good at incorporating music into his films. I'm not a big Oasis fan, but this song in this scene is perfect. (NSFW)

Edit: Snatch is a seriously underrated movie IMO. Brad Pitt is awesome as always, Jason Statham & Stephen Graham before they got big, Alan Ford is a fantastic villain, and Dennis Farina & Benicio Del Toro are great.

Last edited:

This is the other scene that came immediately to mind.

He has a knack for walking scenes with cool songs.

Great call. As fate would have it, I re-watched The Darjeeling Limited this spring. When I first saw that film in theaters, I liked it well enough, but not nearly as much as other Anderson movies. I have grown to appreciate it more, especially when combined with the short Hotel Chevalier.

Just a few weeks earlier I saw Golden Smog play Strangers at 1st Ave. Never realized it was a Kinks cover until scrolling through the credits of the movie.

As a kid, I loved Welcome to the Jungle in The Program.

I could choose several from this movie, but I always enjoy the placement of this song with this scene:

in "Once Upon a Time in America," there are a lot of time shifts, and they use music to help set the time period.

there is one time jump where they go from the past to the present, and they use "Yesterday" by the Beatles to make the time jump clear. very effective.

also a great bleepin' movie by Sergio Leone with one of DeNiro's best performances.

Top Bottom