Best rivalry trophies

I've always thought we had the top 3 as well. This is a very well researched article!

You can make a case for either the Axe simply because of how awesome an axe is or the Jug because of it's origin and age but I don't know could argue the pig is #1. I suppose with the governors betting a real hog but for me it's definitely #3 (but still awesome.)

You can make a case for either the Axe simply because of how awesome an axe is or the Jug because of it's origin and age but I don't know could argue the pig is #1. I suppose with the mayors betting a real hog but for me it's definitely #3 (but still awesome.)

I believe it was the governors...Floyd Olson (MN) and Clyde Herring (IA)...who laid down the bet to ease tensions.

Regardless, I think Iowa and Michigan are starting to see what it's like NOT having the trophies and bragging rights that go with it.

Like said many times before...time to bring back The Axe.

Let this be the year when ALL three are where they belong...plus the national buzz that would come with it.

What about the Mayoral Liberty Bell that represents our intense rivalry with PSU?

IMHO - The four best college football rivalry trophies all involve Minnesota:

Broken Chair
Pig
Axe
Jug

No other college can lay a claim to this.

#1, #2, and #3 are all interchangeable. I'd personally go:

#1: Axe
#2: Floyd
#3: Jug

The Axe is a part of the longest active rivalry game in BCS football. The Jug is the oldest trophy in BCS football (anyone who says the Territorial Cup is an idiot).

I enjoy the Floyd rivalry--and it has been the most even rivalry in recent history--but there's no way it's on the same level as the Axe or the Jug.

the story line in 2 of the 3 big trophies are very good. the Axe is the one that really has no stroy to go with it except that Wisconsin stole/lost the Slab of Bacon and they needed a trophy so they invented the Axe

the Jug and the Pig were both brought about due to very ill feelings on the field and have great stories that are not forced and made up just to have a trophy

Top Bottom