Best Movie Made in Minnesota (Grumpy Old Men defeats Fargo)

Beautiful Girls is an underrated film imo.

I still would have voted Fargo for the win.
100% agree on Beautiful Girls, although wasn't that set in like upstate NY in the movie? It may have been shot in MN I guess but in the movie I thought they were in NY state. I don't recall, but damn I love that movie

100% agree on Beautiful Girls, although wasn't that set in like upstate NY in the movie? It may have been shot in MN I guess but in the movie I thought they were in NY state. I don't recall, but damn I love that movie
The movie is set in fictional Knight's Ridge, Mass.

Two glaring omissions IMO are Juno & Drop Dead Gorgeous, though maybe those were just set in MN and not actually filmed here. I still use East Jesus Nowhere and Sin Cities to describe where I'm going. Fargo & Grumpy Old Men are both deserving IMO but certainly an upset win.

To me Grumpy Old Men is the perfect Minnesota movie. Everyone who lived here in the early 90's knew family members like Matthau and Lemmon.
My friend's dad owned one of the houses used in it. NE Mpls off of Central Ave. At least that is what I remember...

My friend's dad owned one of the houses used in it. NE Mpls off of Central Ave. At least that is what I remember...
Nice. I know one of the homes (I think it might have been Ann Margaret's) was over by Lake Phalen, not too far from where I lived.

Couple of others:

41byfj7fJ-L._AC_SY580_.jpg

MV5BMjU0ZDhjZTYtODZlMy00N2I4LWFiOGMtYTg2Yzc5NGM2NTBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Both of the above movies were filmed here.

That was Then... was filmed all over the place. The under-the-bridge scene was right by the U of M.

Untamed Heart was mostly filmed by St. Anthony Main.

That was Then.....lots of it was filmed on the eastside of St Paul where I grew up. It's been about 30 years since I've seen that movie.

not a big name, but there was an independent movie shot in MN called "Sweet Land" that won awards at some film festivals. It was shot out around Montevideo in West-Central MN. It's a period piece about a woman who comes to MN for an arranged marriage with a Norwegian farmer.

as an old-timer, I always got a kick out of seeing the Minneapolis International Airport in the movie "Airport." However, according to published reports, during the actual filming, there wasn't a lot of snow on the ground in the Twin Cities, so the filmmakers added some fake snow to make the weather look worse.

not a big name, but there was an independent movie shot in MN called "Sweet Land" that won awards at some film festivals. It was shot out around Montevideo in West-Central MN. It's a period piece about a woman who comes to MN for an arranged marriage with a Norwegian farmer.
"Sweet Land" was listed in the original post's Field of 16 bracket but lost out to "A Simple Plan" (stars Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton & Bridget Fonda), which is also really good, so no disrespect there.

GOM was solid. Lake Rebecca!
Two glaring omissions IMO are Juno & Drop Dead Gorgeous, though maybe those were just set in MN and not actually filmed here. I still use East Jesus Nowhere and Sin Cities to describe where I'm going. Fargo & Grumpy Old Men are both deserving IMO but certainly an upset win.
drop dead Fred.

DDG was indeed filmed here, while Juno was filmed in Vancouver.

The writer for Juno wrote it while living in Minnesota. She is not originally from here.

DDG was indeed filmed here, while Juno was filmed in Vancouver.

The writer for Juno wrote it while living in Minnesota. She is not originally from here.
Diablo Cody also wrote Young Adult which was filmed in Minnesota, and is on the original 16 Team Bracket. Decent.

Diablo Cody also wrote Young Adult which was filmed in Minnesota, and is on the original 16 Team Bracket. Decent.
I liked Young Adult a lot. Teenage Fanclub gets played over and over and over.

I liked Young Adult a lot. Teenage Fanclub gets played over and over and over.
I forgot about that. I should revisit, I have not seen it since I saw it in the theater.

All the movies she wrote seem to have good music, Tully features Pavement & the Jayhawks. Not sure how much of that is actually director influenced.

An overlooked gem was the original The Heartbreak Kid with Charles Grodin and Cyril Shepherd. In the film, Shepherd’s character is a student at the U of M, so there’s some filming on campus. Probably not enough time to warrant inclusion on this list, but it’s a really fun movie, with Grodin’s character on the cringe lineage of comedy with Michael Scott/David Brent.

Top Bottom