Best Minnesota born Gophers? (top 10)

Another St. Paulite, Ken Yackel, was a three sport letterman (Football, hockey, baseball). Also played briefly in NHL for Boston during a time when US players were essentially blacklisted.

I can see that they didn't teach reading comprehension at Hogeye Corn College.

Guess I thought they were all minnesota/gopher guys but youre right, technically Klug was born in WI. My mistake :)

Guess I thought they were all minnesota/gopher guys but youre right, technically Klug was born in WI. My mistake :)

They are cast out to live with the swine IF they don't have the good common sense to head to Minneapolis and St. Paul. Sure, we will let them back in to Minnesota IF they can be gainfully employed and then we let them pay state taxes here. There have been a few that went east under the influence of the stinking badger. We also do allow them to come back to the Great State of Minnesota if they are employable and we also forgive them enough to let them play state taxes here in Minnesota.

Why, heck, msphawg: we even let all people of the hawg'seye persuasion or people who succumbed to the influence of the stinking badger for a while come to Minnesota to work and pay taxes here in Minnesota. We believe that it is important to offer anyone who would like to enjoy our beautiful state the opportunity to pay their state taxes to the great state of Minnesota.

So, how much would a msphawg such as yourself be paying the Department of Revenue in St. Paul, MN these days? Work a little harder, please. There are many things we need to use your tax money for. Earn a little more. Spend more with our Minnesota merchants and pay a little more for the great privilege of being a MSP resident! We don't even charge you more for having lived the life of the swine in iowa city...or where ever it was that you developed that unfortunate affiliation with the hawgseyez that you seem to have. How very unfortunate for you.

Now, run back to your iowa hawgseye board to do your thing...Of course: I am only ***wink, wink, wink*** kidding.

I watched Klug, his twin brother and a very fine supporting cast from the Caledonia Football Team play a few times while he was in high school there, and he turned into a very fine Big Ten Football player! No matter where he went to college. I always did wish he would have been a Gopher, but, he wasn't. He was a pretty disruptive force on the football field. That young man could play some defense!

I had the pleasure of watching on the gridiron most of the following players from Minnesota that wore the maroon and gold and that went on to the NFL/CFL:

50 and 60s
Gordie Soltau
Bob McNamara
Frank Youso
Robert Hobert
Milt Sunde
Jon Jelacic
John Campbell
Greg Larson

70s
Doug Kingsriter
Jeff schuh

80s
Ray Hitchcock
Mark Dusbabek

Go Gophers!!

Robert Hobert and Doug Kingsriter were first team All-Americans.

Good thread.

Go Gophers!!

John McGovern, Eddie Rogers, also in CFHF.

DL...You forgot to include Tom Brown from your 50-60's group. All American, Outland Trophy, All-CFL.

DL...You forgot to include Tom Brown from your 50-60's group. All American, Outland Trophy, All-CFL.

You're absolutely right; however, I didn't mention Tom Brown because his name was listed earlier in the thread. A great player who is in the College Football Hall of Fame and the CFL Hall of Fame.

Go Gophers!!

I haven't seen MBIII anywhere yet.

I would suggest Noel Jenke. Born in Owatonna, He not only captained the football team and was All Big 10, he also lettered three times in Hockey, and twice in Baseball. He was the first athlete at Minnesota to letter in three sports.

Bud Grant did it, I thought.

Robert Hobert and Doug Kingsriter were first team All-Americans.

Hobert, from Mpls. West, was not very athletic. Watching old film of him playing today you realize how linemen like Bobby Bell and Greg Eslinger are so much more mobile and athletic than the mid 50s linemen.

Top Bottom