Best Minnesota born Gophers? (top 10)

Just brainstorming - Darrell Thompson, Marion Barber III, Eric Decker, and then just to stir the pot I'll throw in Adam Weber.

Who are the top 10 Minnesota born Gophers of all time?

It has to start and end w/ the great Bronko. I would add Paul Giel, Gale Gillingham, Daryl Thompson, Bruce Smith, Tom Brown, Eric Decker for my first 7

Off the top of my head Bronco Nagurski, Bruce Smith, and Paul Giel should be on the list.

I love threads like this!

Here's my list (no particular order):

Bruce Smith
Gino Cappelletti
Tom Brown
Keith Fahnhorst
Ed Widseth
Dick Wildung
Paul Giel
Clayton Tonnemaker
Matt Spaeth
Eric Decker

Neither Bronko Nagurski nor Darrell Thompson are eligible because neither were born in MN.

Neither Bronko Nagurski nor Darrell Thompson are eligible because neither were born in MN.

I was looking at Thompson's info online and some places say he was born in Rochester, but I also saw a reference to St. Louis.

Could add Bernie Bierman as a coach.

Can't argue with any of the choices, but like him or not Bob Stein should be considered.

Tom Brown absolutely has to be high on that list of 10. He was born in Albert Lea and graduated from Minneapolis Central. He anchored an incredible Gopher Defense onhttp://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032403aaa.html their way to the 1960 National Championship and was named OUTLAND TROPHY winner in 1960. He played both offense and defense and was a fierce blocker on offense. But, it was on defense that he will always be celebrated and remembered. I am pretty sure he put a tour of duty in the Military prior to becoming a Golden Gopher. He was about 24 years of age during the 1960 season and vided the spark of maturity, mental toughness and "never say die" spirit that helped lead that 1960 Golden Gopher Team for Murray Warmath. He finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy in 1960: pretty incredible for an offensive and defensive lineman. And, of course, he did not play alone on that team. There were some incredible athletes and leaders on that team.

also:
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032403aaa.html

and, of course:

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/090607aar.html

Tom Brown absolutely has to be high on that list of 10. He was born in Albert Lea and graduated from Minneapolis Central. He anchored an incredible Gopher Defense onhttp://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032403aaa.html their way to the 1960 National Championship and was named UTLAND TROPHY winner in 1960. http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200011/16_wilcoxenw_gophers/

Right you are. I thought he was born elsewhere. I will adjust my list.

I'd put Leo Nomellni on the list. (pardon the poor spelling).

Goldy Gopher has gotta be somewhere on that list

My bad on Bronco Nagurski, I knew he was born on the Rainy River and grew up in International Falls, I just didn't realize it was the town of Rainy River, Ont. We need to consider Ben Hamilton.

'Shede should at least be mentioned.

Edit: he was born in Michigan. Whoops.

Two additional names to an impressive list: Herb Joesting, running back, Owatonna and Bert Baston, end, St. Louis Park. Both are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Go Gophers!!

I would suggest Noel Jenke. Born in Owatonna, He not only captained the football team and was All Big 10, he also lettered three times in Hockey, and twice in Baseball. He was the first athlete at Minnesota to letter in three sports.

I would suggest Noel Jenke. Born in Owatonna, He not only captained the football team and was All Big 10, he also lettered three times in Hockey, and twice in Baseball. He was the first athlete at Minnesota to letter in three sports.

+1

I would suggest Noel Jenke. Born in Owatonna, He not only captained the football team and was All Big 10, he also lettered three times in Hockey, and twice in Baseball. He was the first athlete at Minnesota to letter in three sports.[/QUOTE

I agree completely. Noel Jenke was an incredible athlete at the U of M. I had the pleasure of chatting with him at a Gopher Football Banquet about a dozen years ago. I knew one of his teammates at Owatonna High School who used to play half back on the team he played with and also one of his teammates (a linebacker) on the Gophers team he played with. He was very friendly and engaging and generally was a very interesting person to talk to. We could sure use some more like Noel Jenke!

Well...since this is the best Minnesota born Gopher...I'll give a nod to the best athlete to ever come out of Minnesota...David Winfield. The man was drafted in football, basketball and baseball. I've never seen a better pure athlete come out of Minnesota than Winfield.

No disrespect to Mr. Winfield, but Jenke was drafted in all three sports. He actually played minor league baseball in the Cardinal farm system and played NFL football with Atlanta, Minnesota, and Green Bay.

Another multi sport athlete from Bird Island, Barry Wohler. He was recruited and had three offers one from Coach Salem, one from Coach Dutcher, and the third from Coach Anderson. He broke a finger before the football season and joined the basketball team. He was a member of the 82 Big 10 Basketball Championship, and I think a Big 10 Baseball Championship. Drafted by the Dodgers I think he might have made the ML team.

Going way back - Larry Buhler - from Windom MN. Led team in scoring and rushing average, punted and played defense from 1936-38. One of very few players in his era to start as a Sophomore. Drafted in 1st round by the Packers and played 3 yrs in NFL. Has a statue on the lawn of the County Courthouse in Windom.

Top Bottom