Best Freshman?

I remember Tubby saying something about him trying to work with Blake on his jumpshot. If he can be an adverage 3 point shooter with his slashing ability he'll be special. No reason with his quickness for him to not be a great defender as well.

That would be great if Blake was helping him out.

Think he is able to get Chip into Hopkins High School too?

I guess I'm not as high on Walker as everyone else. I like his bball IQ but I just don't think his ceiling is as high as everyone thinks. It's good to hear that he's lost weight but I just can't imagine him ever being that dominant without any kind of athletic ability. I know that sounds overly negative but I just think the expectations for Walker are a little over the top.

I really like Austin's versatility. The only thing that kind of kills me is that I just don't see that "it" factor that I see in Chip. Obviously it's hard to judge because he's a freshman but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to drive that well. I think he'll be a very good defender and will fill up the stat sheet. I'm hoping he develops a pullup jumper. We've seen glimpses and I think he will.

I don't see Chip ever developing much of a 3 point shot but I think he'll be able to develop a nice pullup jumper as well. I feel like we'll see a very big jump from him next year in scoring. He's the type of slasher we need and he can finish around the rim. It's nice to have a player with a scorer's mentality that isn't incredibly selfish as far as we know. He can force it at times but I think he realizes that he'll be riding the bench if he does that too often.

MCL. If you are going to go crazy over the ligament, get it right.

From Gophersports.com "The University of Minnesota basketball program announced today that freshman forward Maurice "Mo" Walker will miss the remainder of the 2010-11 season with a torn posterior cruciate ligament and meniscus. Walker suffered the injury on Dec. 23 against South Dakota State."

Seems to me that posterior cruciate ligament is probably what PCL stands for, but I've been wrong.

Also, you don't usually need surgery for a torn MCL, unless its completely torn or shredded. Plenty of athletes have played with a torn MCL.

I guess I'm not as high on Walker as everyone else. I like his bball IQ but I just don't think his ceiling is as high as everyone thinks. It's good to hear that he's lost weight but I just can't imagine him ever being that dominant without any kind of athletic ability. I know that sounds overly negative but I just think the expectations for Walker are a little over the top.

From what I saw from Mo this season I feel he will be better overall than Sampson and Iverson sooner than later. He seems to have a natural feel around the hoop. He can already pass better than most big-men his age. He seems to have a soft touch. I just think he's neato!

Forget everything I wrote if he can't get back to 100% after his injury.

I think of the guys we have seen this year that Mo Walker is the best player of the 4 (Walker, Armelin, Ahanmisi and Hollins) but I will say that of the three guards I prefer Armelin over the others. I know Walker is hard to compare but his basketball IQ, physical presence and shear size make him the most likely to be a standout from this class (of the guys who weren't redshirted)

He has the never back down attitude, he isn't scared to shoot (or miss) and he is the best athlete of the three. Also, as was posted on this site a couple of months ago he has the most upside because he was a football player first and never focused all of his time and attention on hoops. Thoughts from anyone else?

Why do people keep talking about Walker's basketball IQ? That is the most over-used statement in all of the sport's vernacular. What has he done to show such a superior basketball IQ? Remember, it's not like this kid was all that touted coming out of high school. Sure he had some decent offers and cracked the top 150 (I think), but we should all just step back and start judging him after he plays a game in the Big Ten.

Why do people keep talking about Walker's basketball IQ? That is the most over-used statement in all of the sport's vernacular. What has he done to show such a superior basketball IQ? Remember, it's not like this kid was all that touted coming out of high school. Sure he had some decent offers and cracked the top 150 (I think), but we should all just step back and start judging him after he plays a game in the Big Ten.

Because basketball IQ, or smart players, are really important. They make less mistakes, understand situations and help a team perform at a higher level.

Blake Hoffarber has a high basketball IQ. Chris Webber did not (in college at least) and it showed and hurt his team.

Just because he wasn't highly touted doesn't mean he can't be great. When kids are 16, 17 or 18 there is a good chance they will improve, grow or get a different body. If Walker gets a more mature body and continues to grow as a player, he could be very very good. He has great footwork, soft hands, finishes around the hoop, can hit a jump shot (something Iverson and Mbakwe cant do) and he is a a huge person. All of those things, plus his basketball IQ, make him a potentially great player.

I wouldn't be surprised either (assuming his knee is fine and he loses a significant amount of weight). I just think the expectations are a little too high for him right now. It's tough to be effective with almost zero jumping ability.

From what I saw from Mo this season I feel he will be better overall than Sampson and Iverson sooner than later. He seems to have a natural feel around the hoop. He can already pass better than most big-men his age. He seems to have a soft touch. I just think he's neato!

Forget everything I wrote if he can't get back to 100% after his injury.

Because basketball IQ, or smart players, are really important. They make less mistakes, understand situations and help a team perform at a higher level.

Blake Hoffarber has a high basketball IQ. Chris Webber did not (in college at least) and it showed and hurt his team.

Just because he wasn't highly touted doesn't mean he can't be great. When kids are 16, 17 or 18 there is a good chance they will improve, grow or get a different body. If Walker gets a more mature body and continues to grow as a player, he could be very very good. He has great footwork, soft hands, finishes around the hoop, can hit a jump shot (something Iverson and Mbakwe cant do) and he is a a huge person. All of those things, plus his basketball IQ, make him a potentially great player.

You just described the epitome of a center. What's stopping this kid from dominating then? Nothing apparently. By the way, when did u catch all these superior athletic assets? During the winona state exhibition?

You just described the epitome of a center. What's stopping this kid from dominating then? Nothing apparently. By the way, when did u catch all these superior athletic assets? During the winona state exhibition?

What in the heck are you talking about? What superior athletic assets did I mention? Tell me in what world soft hands, being huge, understanding basketball and finishing around the basket are superior athletic assets?

Did I say he could run extremely fast, jump really high, have the strength of 30 oxen all while being as quick as mercury? Like honestly, just read what I write before you respond. If you don't think he will be good, explain why.

Whats stopping him from dominating is that he doesn't have outstanding athletic ability. The part where I said "If Walker gets a more mature body and continues to grow as a player, he could be very very good" is important because it mentions he needs a more mature body (ideally stronger and sleaker) as well as continuing to grow as a player. As is, Walker is going to be a good Big Ten post. If he hits the weight room and works on his speed/quickness he COULD be very, very good. Please note that I said if and could.

Top Bottom