Best Case/Worst Case from ESPN

The excerpt below did make me LOL my face off. :cool:

The Gophers carry Jerry Kill out of the stadium on their shoulders after a second straight eight-win regular season that began with a 4-0 nonconference run, featuring a 6-4 victory at TCU on Sept. 13 that does little for Big Ten credibility. Sure, a win’s a win, but this game was so ugly that Kill and old buddy Gary Patterson agreed during the post-game handshake to cancel the Horned Frogs' return trip to Minneapolis in 2015.

That was the dumbest thing I've ever read.

I hate these articles.

Best case for any team is undefeated. Worst case is no wins. Not rocket science. Is it football season yet?

I don't read all these "best worst case" articles. Can someone tell me if simply duplicating the previous year's regular season record has been any other team's "best case" situation? The same record as the year before is the new ceiling?

I don't read all these "best worst case" articles. Can someone tell me if simply duplicating the previous year's regular season record has been any other team's "best case" situation? The same record as the year before is the new ceiling?

I could be wrong but no, I don't remember seeing it. These articles are pointless but it's pretty clear this writer isn't too high on the Gophers this year and pretty much thinks last year was a fluke.

at least we get an early chance to laugh at the "worst case" scenario when we spank Middle Tennessee.

After watching them in their bowl game last year vs Navy, a Coach Kill team would never lose to such an undisciplined group of thugs!

*Spasms*

This man gets paid to write, folks.

This guy seems like a poster child of what's wrong with sports writing today. You have all these objectively lousy writers trying to shoehorn ruthlessly unfunny jokes into every other sentence and using questions as literary devices.

It all stems from Bill Simmons, who combined being unfunny (he, at least, has a semblance of a sense of humor) with being a savvy self-promoter and Internet marketer and turned himself into the most popular active sports writer. And now a whole generation of sportswriters who will work for peanuts are trying their best to emulate him. It's awful.

This guy seems like a poster child of what's wrong with sports writing today. You have all these objectively lousy writers trying to shoehorn ruthlessly unfunny jokes into every other sentence and using questions as literary devices.

It all stems from Bill Simmons, who combined being unfunny (he, at least, has a semblance of a sense of humor) with being a savvy self-promoter and Internet marketer and turned himself into the most popular active sports writer. And now a whole generation of sportswriters who will work for peanuts are trying their best to emulate him. It's awful.
What's even worst is ESPN shamelessly parades him as an NBA expert, seriously since when does his opinion matter compared to the guys he sits next too on air

Wow. Absolutely spot on.

I wonder if this guy would take a $1000 wager where if we match or beat his 9 win best case scenario, he owes me, if we match or finish worse than his 3 win worst case scenario, I owe him, and anything in between is a push. Because I would make that bet in a heartbeat.

What's even worst is ESPN shamelessly parades him as an NBA expert, seriously since when does his opinion matter compared to the guys he sits next too on air

Id say when a guy writes about a league for 15 years, most of that time having numerous contacts and sources within that league and then writes a book on the history of that league bigger than most phone books that he's probably earned the right to have his opinion viewed as valid. Plus that line I thinking is silly to me. If Simmons opinion isn't valid then who has valid opinions? Those that wrote for newspapers ie those that got a degree in journalism? That doesn't mean they know squat about a sport. Are the only valid opinions the ones held by people that played or coached? And then at what level? Only NBA players or coaches? Even though we all know plenty of players can only play and aren't exactly geniuses when it comes to strategy? And I you have to have played or coached to have a valid opinion then how do guys constantly he into coaching without having played? Why did Richard Pitino get a job in CBB when he never played it?

I am really looking forward to that 6-4 win at TCU.

Do you think we get our 6 off two field goals, a TD with a missed PAT, or 3 safeties? I vote for the 10 total combined points off of 5 safeties game. Wouldn't be pretty, but would be pretty interesting!

Top Bottom