Berkley Edwards

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
Anyone heard how Berkley Edwards is doing? I realize that he’s likely to redshirt, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if he’s fully recovered, practicing at 100%, running with the scout team, etc.?

Anyone heard how Berkley Edwards is doing? I realize that he’s likely to redshirt, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if he’s fully recovered, practicing at 100%, running with the scout team, etc.?

He's healthy now I believe.

If he's practicing, he'd be a great approximation for Abdullah on the scout team this week.

it'd be nice to see B.Edwards out there this weekend. what happended to KJ? he used to be in the offense all the time but not so much now.

it'd be nice to see B.Edwards out there this weekend. what happended to KJ? he used to be in the offense all the time but not so much now.

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed on seeing Edwards this year. It's game #8, a bit late in the party. I'd rather wait and just uncork him next season with the assumption that the offense will be better around him as well and maybe that will help his acclimation to this level of play.

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed on seeing Edwards this year. It's game #8, a bit late in the party. I'd rather wait and just uncork him next season with the assumption that the offense will be better around him as well and maybe that will help his acclimation to this level of play.

Agreed.

sure but not even 1/2 thru a the BT schedule. we do have healthy RBs but if there were any hint to a player who could get to the edge...

I honestly wouldn't mind playing him. I'm hopeful that we have at least one or two RBs on the roster as talented as him by the time he's a senior, so redshirting him isn't as big of a deal for me. If Edwards prefers to redshirt then that is a different story, otherwise do everything you can possibly do to get to a bowl game this year.

There are five games left and we seem to have enough guys. By reputation no one near as explosive, but at this point, why throw him out there?

As for Maye, he gets on the field, but he's not getting targeted as much. I think Jones is stealing his touches.

There are five games left and we seem to have enough guys. By reputation no one near as explosive, but at this point, why throw him out there?

As for Maye, he gets on the field, but he's not getting targeted as much. I think Jones is stealing his touches.
. Marcus Jones players cornerback this year !

Yep, we are also loading up on a lot of multiple TE/H-Back sets, so guys like Henry, Williams, Goodger, Plsek are stealing his plays as well. I'd like to see Maye a bit more involved, but you're right, he's fighting for PT with Harbeson and Jones right now.

I honestly wouldn't mind playing him. I'm hopeful that we have at least one or two RBs on the roster as talented as him by the time he's a senior, so redshirting him isn't as big of a deal for me. If Edwards prefers to redshirt then that is a different story, otherwise do everything you can possibly do to get to a bowl game this year.

I think that if Edwards was head and shoulders ahead of the other RB's, he'd be playing already. If he's just in the mix and we are relatively healthy at the RB position, I don't think it is wise to play him at this point.

if Edwards can get us 1 victory then play him. With Jones adn other RB's coming in even if you put him on KO's and he breaks one that woudl be a help.
I have been in the group that says Red Shirt all you can but with RB's with Jones coming in what harm would it be to cut him lose now. sucks for himi not to have a full season but if it means getting to a bowl game I think that is more important than getting the full year out of a RB

if Edwards can get us 1 victory then play him. With Jones adn other RB's coming in even if you put him on KO's and he breaks one that woudl be a help.
I have been in the group that says Red Shirt all you can but with RB's with Jones coming in what harm would it be to cut him lose now. sucks for himi not to have a full season but if it means getting to a bowl game I think that is more important than getting the full year out of a RB

Agree 100%. Yes, it's late in the season. And I don't know the specifics about his abilities (other than shear speed). But if he came in and hit ONE home run that swung the difference in a game, it's absolutely worth it. By the time he's a SR, we should have equally explosive backs on the roster.

That being said, I don't see it happening at THAT position. They clearly put so much emphasis on the other aspects (blocking, picking up blitzes, etc) of RB play in this offense, and I would highly doubt that part of his game is evolved enough to warrant any significant touches.

I agree, but we've actually been surprisingly productive at RB this season...I'm not 100% sure about the level of play we're getting at every position, but I'd say if there's one spot where we don't really need improvement, it's probably RB. The group we've got back there has been a pleasant surprise this season.

Jones has two rushing attempts and one reception this season. Not a very good thief.

If Edwards was going to play, it would have happened by the Michigan game.

DoubleD, that is not how you build a program.. Have some patients.

Yeah i get it but the one position you can burn red shirts its RB. can you agree that it is more important to get those extra practices and get a bowl game then it is to rely on a 5th year for a RB?

that is all i am saying. i still think like you do on most everyother position it is better to have 5th year seniors than 4th years.

need that next win badly

I agree with people who say that if we think he can get us one extra win, do it. However, I don't think it is a given that he can this year. Cobb, Rodrick, and Captain Kirk(wood) have been rushing the ball reasonably well, and Berkley is still pretty young. I have to imagine if he were a significant upgrade over our current backs, the coaches would have pulled the trigger on this one already.

I think what we are seeing is part of the grass-is-always-greener mentality that comes with a struggling program. We keep feeling like we are about to break out of the funk, and so every time we hear about a new player, we get a little too optimistic about what they could bring to the table immediately. We always want to believe that the next man up is the magic bullet (Nelson, Leidner, Harbison, Wolitarsky) who will take us to the promised land the second he steps onto the field. From what I hear, Edwards is a talented young back, with impressive speed, who should make a nice compliment to our offense next year after he has had a year of practice to refine his game, and we should expect to see him bust a few explosive plays out (either out of the backfield or the return game). But if he was the type of talent who could suit up this Saturday and immediately bump the other three down a notch on the depth chart, we would have seen him on the field already.

Top Bottom