Ben Perry

Reaction score
Thought this blurb was interesting

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/128671978.html

12:17
Comment From @marathonroy
How has Ben Perry looked in camp? He was the only real surprise to me in Kill's 2 deeps.

Phil Miller: Huge surprise, and apparently a huge talent. He was getting to the QB in almost every practice. Sure, he wasn't lining up across from Ed Olson, but it was impressive. Tracy Claeys obviously was impressed.

Thought this blurb was interesting

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/128671978.html

Comment From @marathonroy
How has Ben Perry looked in camp? He was the only real surprise to me in Kill's 2 deeps.

Phil Miller: Huge surprise, and apparently a huge talent. He was getting to the QB in almost every practice. Sure, he wasn't lining up across from Ed Olson, but it was impressive. Tracy Claeys obviously was impressed.
This can't be so, he only had 2 stars from Rivals coming out of high school.

Or does it possibly say something about the offensive linemen he was going against? I would hope not with some of the very good DL that they will be facing this year.

I posted this in another thread a couple of weeks ago - I watched one practice, and it was only a drill session, so I never saw him in a scrimmage, but Perry was the one guy I hadn't heard a lot about that really wowed me during the practice I watched. I'm not surprised at all at his rise up the depth chart. He's got the size, speed, and athletic ability to be really exciting off the edge. It was hard to get a feel for how strong he was due to the nature of the drills, so that would be the question mark for me at this point. I told my buddy after the practice to keep an eye on Perry, nobody was talking about him. I like being proven right.

Or does it possibly say something about the offensive linemen he was going against? I would hope not with some of the very good DL that they will be facing this year.

Those questions always exist in scrimmages against your own offense/defense.

But standouts are always worth looking at.

Not taking anything away from Perry because he proved to be the best at the position, but this confirms the concerns with the RT position on the offense. Gjere and Ferguson will likely battle all year long and possibly Campion if he gets healthy.

Not taking anything away from Perry because he proved to be the best at the position, but this confirms the concerns with the RT position on the offense. Gjere and Ferguson will likely battle all year long and possibly Campion if he gets healthy.

I don't know if it actually confirms anything. I does prove that it could be a question. RT could be solid and Perry could be a beast. Since we have yet to see them play against another team there are still questions not proof.

If Perry was lining up with the first team D, wouldn't the majority of his snaps in practice or in a scrimmage would come against the second team RT. Thus, not confirming anything about the starting RT.

I know this is the way of a very snake-bit Gopher fandom. I can't blame people for finding a negative in just about anything. But, clearly this guy has made an impression among the d linemen with the Gopher coaches. I really don't think it is due to luck that he alone has been lining up against jr. high girls in practice. He has stood out and he has climbed the depth chart. It would really be fun to have an Eric Decker style development in the d-line. That of course is asking a LOT so for now I am just looking forward to watching him play, and I hope he continues to turn heads.

I just feel that RT and DE are the possitions of the biggest concern on this team.

Perry really stood out during the Spring 'game' so it is not suprising that he is starting. He seemed very quick off the outside but also contained well. Sure, it was against our OL (which I don't have an issue with), but he apperently is consistant and should provide some much needed pressure.

Congrats to him...I hope he gets some competition from Garin. IMO Garin might be a starter for St Thomas next year or just enjoying the football lifestyle (and all its benefits) with Moses...

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Don't we all?
Perry is a hard worker, a good athlete, and reportedly a good kid. To call him a beast at this point is a little strong. He looks really young when he takes his helmet off.

Curious what all the concern is about at RT. Sure Gjere is a RS Freshman, but he was one of the top talents in the state and now some people are panicking? I thought he looked good at the scrimmage. That spot on the O-line looks to be his for the foreseeable future.

Let's see the team play before throwing anyone under the bus, huh?

Well, with the criticism of Gray before he takes a snap I'm not surprised Gjere is being criticized already.

Top Bottom