Ben Lauer -- StarTrib lists as "U of M recruit"

HLGopher

Reaction score
I'm assuming the Star Trib meant Lauer was a U of M recruit "prospect" or is this a new commit? At any rate, 1st Team All-Metro with size and nothing's final until signing day (at the earliest).

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/113875

From the link:

Ben Lauer | Wayzata | Senior | OL
Great agility for a big player (6-7, 275 pounds). Injured last year but returned as a force this season to play every down. U of M recruit.

As yo say, "recruit" can mean a lot of different things (as in preferred walk-on or "if we have a scholarship left"), but I think this would say that the U is at least interested in him. Big kid from a good program.

I'm sure the U would love to have him walk on, but there is zero chance of him receiving a scholarship offer. It's a poor choice of words by David Lavaque, whoever that is. He's no more a U of M recruit than 80% of the guys on that list.

There are some guys on these lists that are still pretty intriguing for the Gophers.

Don't be surprised if Harden's name doesn't start popping up again with the U (no inside info here, not trying to be cryptic).

-Larson could make a lot of sense.
-Roullier is a guy who seems to impress everyone who has seen him play (Rose would probably know better than myself).
-Simmet is a kid who reminds me exactly of Pirsig. To my untrained eye, I really don't see a ton of difference. They are about the exact same size and athletic for their size. Simmet is 6'9" 300+ (not sure, it's hard to tell weights on those guys) and he is a pretty good basketball player. Obviously, the experts know more than I do or else Simmet would have a similar level of recruiting pub, but they just look very similar.

Tweeted last week:

DavidSimmet David Simmet
Committed to University of St. Thomas for Basketball and Football #tommienation

I'd like Larson, Roullier, and Harden if it comes down to them or similar athletes from other states. I haven't seen Harden play in person, but everyone says he is stong as an ox and plays incredibly hard. I don't care how tall a guy is with those attributes, I would take him. At DT, being strong as an ox and having a motor can go a long ways. Who cares if he won't go pro if he can be a good D-1 athlete.

Tweeted last week:

DavidSimmet David Simmet
Committed to University of St. Thomas for Basketball and Football #tommienation

Oh right on, good for him. I'm really surprised he didn't get more looks from Div. 1 teams. There just aren't many humans who are 6'9", well over 300 lbs and athletic enough to play basketball at a high level.

I'd like Larson, Roullier, and Harden if it comes down to them or similar athletes from other states. I haven't seen Harden play in person, but everyone says he is stong as an ox and plays incredibly hard. I don't care how tall a guy is with those attributes, I would take him. At DT, being strong as an ox and having a motor can go a long ways. Who cares if he won't go pro if he can be a good D-1 athlete.

I'm sure that I am bias with Harden, but the fact that he didn't get an offer from the U is really surprising to me. He was the best defensive player on the field two years ago when EP played CDH for the state title. I'm not saying he was better than Mobley as a SO, but he was that day.

Most Cretin coaches will tell you he's the best defensive player they've had in a really long time. I hope, for the Gophers, that he gets another look. I know he's an unorthodox kid being so short and whatever, but he's been unblockable in one of the best conferences in MN.

I also would love to see Harden as a gopher.

Where is the love for Charles Webb?

I also would love to see Harden as a gopher.

Where is the love for Charles Webb?

I like Webb too. I thought coming into the year that Webb and Harden were the best players I had seen play (I hadn't seen Pirsig, Nelson, Williams).

Would love to see Larson and Webb. Is Webb an issue with grades?

I would love for some information on Webb's status? Is it academic or just a lack of interest from the U?

I thought I read something more recently than this article about him, but I'm not finding it. Anyway from this article and what I remember it sounds like schools were waiting on his ACT scores. He took the supposedly took the test in October....

I am of the impression that it's academics.

From Chris Monter interview in February: DN is is Tonka head coach Dave Nelson

DN: He is just a very physical player. He’s got a nose for the football. Last year, he scored four defensive touchdowns. He blocked a punt and ran it in. He picked up a couple of fumbles and ran them in and he’s always just around the football. He is really a savvy player. Physical. Everyone on the field knows where he is. He’s got great instincts and just a complete player.

GH: What are some of the things that he needs to continue to improve on?

DN: Academically, he has got to put himself in a position where he is good to go and he is working on that. That is where it all starts. Like any high school junior, he needs to get stronger and hopefully, he can grow a little bit. He is right about 5-foot-10. He is right on the edge, the border. Hopefully, he’ll continue to fill out and get a little bit faster and a little bit stronger.

I don't know if academics are an issue, but it appears he needed to do some work on it, and hopefully he got on the right track for that.

Thank you very much for clarifying the Webb academic issue. I had thought I had heard that but hadn't actually seen anything in an article. I hope he gets things straightened out in the classroom and that Kill believes that Webb would have continued success in the classroom. He was one of my more favorite players coming out of this class prior to the beginning of the season.

Andrew Larson the RB from Eden Prairie could be the best prospect in the state

Those that know EP did he not attend any camps or was he injured last year? I have heard his coach Mike Grant say that "Larson is best player in state of Minnesota" in this class and now after seeing him play a couple times in the playoffs I can see why his coach boast that. This guy is not just hyperboyle he is one talented football player. This guy is not just WGF either he has legitimate football speed.

Larson reminds me a lot of MBIII as a RB in high school,(Undervalued because of line play) great up field vision, see's the cutback developing and creases about as well as anyone. That and he can break a tackle, which shows a little toughness.
I realize the guy plays behind a great line and they have something to do with his success, but it is not all line play, this guy makes great reads and seems to find the holes before other people see them. Not all guy's do that especially high school backs. He has a burst and the ability to change direction and break tackles and he plays with great bend and pad level. I'm surprised more D1 teams are not in on him, maybe it is his size they question, too many think it is just his line play, this kid makes plays off busted plays and has a burst you cannot teach. He is very much in the mold of an MBIII type of tailback, great cut's, great acceleration very undervalued. I would like to see the Gophers get involved and extend a late offer like they did with MBIII, I could see us hitting big on this guy.

I don't understand why Zack Johnson from Eastview was not offered. The kid has been a stud for 3 years, has the size and certainly has the athleticism. He verballed to NDSU and didn't really get a sniff from the U. He was better than Roullier when they matched up this season.

I'm sure that I am bias with Harden, but the fact that he didn't get an offer from the U is really surprising to me. He was the best defensive player on the field two years ago when EP played CDH for the state title. I'm not saying he was better than Mobley as a SO, but he was that day.

Most Cretin coaches will tell you he's the best defensive player they've had in a really long time. I hope, for the Gophers, that he gets another look. I know he's an unorthodox kid being so short and whatever, but he's been unblockable in one of the best conferences in MN.

When I watched him this year, two guys couldn't block him. It was like he almost single-handedly collapsed his entire side of the line on running plays.

Yeah, Zack Johnson is a kid i've heard good things about too. The state is absolutely loaded this year.

I think there are more than a few local kids this year with D1 talent, whether the coaches can offer them all is another issue.
Anywanu(sp?)
Larson
Harden
Pierce
Webb
Ford
Michelson
Roullier
Z Johnson
Carroll
Ariens
Many more.

I'm really hoping the coaches can either offer a few of these guys, offer grayshirts, or offer preferred walk-ons with the understanding of a schollie opportunity right away if PT is earned.

I think there are more than a few local kids this year with D1 talent, whether the coaches can offer them all is another issue.
Anywanu(sp?)
Larson
Harden
Pierce
Webb
Ford
Michelson
Roullier
Z Johnson
Carroll
Ariens
Many more.

I'm really hoping the coaches can either offer a few of these guys, offer grayshirts, or offer preferred walk-ons with the understanding of a schollie opportunity right away if PT is earned.

These guys will probably also get walk-on or preferred walk-on looks...

Brett Pierce - Holy Angels - offers from South Dakota, North Dakota, and Wyoming
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMv9uX7zD34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPA71eeFRQE

Taj Rich - Cooper - offer from North Dakota
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl37kuBpqcY

Sam Lee from Blue Earth has already been talked about, and his videos have probably already been posted.

Lucas Wiborg - De La Salle - good frame; offer from Dartmouth

DJ Hebert from Osseo has already been talked about, and his videos have already been posted.

Adam Bungum - Triton- soft commit to Army http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Adam-Bungum-124205
Highlights: Junior http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjtlQBh4c4g
Sophomore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xubj2y1h0dw

Karmichael Dunbar - Prior Lake - he's the son of a Vikings coach right? Rivals page: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Karmichael-Dunbar-123064
Highlights: Senior http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfC2KuHITxI
Junior http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvLYXsRz_g

Kendrick Brewster - Cretin - I think people on this board have said money's an issue, so he might not be able to walk on?

Junius Wilson - Woodbury - offers from South Dakota and many D2 schools. Size is an issue (5'9" 203)
Highlights: Senior first three games http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sivW6UvfP8
Junior http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvpmtD2Uh0
Sophomore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQVtdhfS_A

Brewster and Wilson are running backs. Bungum will probably play receiver or corner back in college. Dunbar's a DT. Rich is an outside linevacker, and Pierce is a big DE/DT. Brewster and Wilson are the only I've seen play.

I think that once Coach Kill knows Bungum has an offer from Army he'll encourage him to take it. I watched his talk to the Air Force ROTC cadets and that's the impression I got.

Brett Pierce will be a DT in college. I doubt he is a candidate to walk on, he will have a couple Division 1 offers. He is a Holy Angles kid, not an Andover kid (if i'm not mistaken).

Kendrick Brewster: I'm not sure about his financial situation but I don't think he is a viable walk-on candidate. I only say that because I don't think he is in the same talent category as Larson or Ford. He's a good kid and a good HS RB.

Bungum is a tough call. His tape is pretty impressive and he's supposedly a pretty good athlete. The only way he comes here is if he trusts Kill. If Kill offers him a walk-on and he wants to try to play in the Big 10. He will need to trust Kill that eventually he could earn that scholarship. He is a possibility to walk on.

DJ Herbert: He looks impressive on the film. I don't think he has a Div 1 position on offense, so it would depend upon how good he is in coverage.

IMO:
I'd like to see this class add Webb (if possible), Harden, Michaelson, Larson and Pierce.

I would also love to have guys like: Bungum, Lauer and Roullier consider walking on.

(I don't think Z. Johnson, Lee, Hebert or Anywalu (spelling?) will be viable walk on candidates).

Brett Pierce will be a DT in college. I doubt he is a candidate to walk on, he will have a couple Division 1 offers. He is a Holy Angles kid, not an Andover kid (if i'm not mistaken).

I'd like to see this class add Webb (if possible), Harden, Michaelson, Larson and Pierce.

You're right. Rivals says Pierce is at Holy Angels. Also, doesn't prep school seem like the best route right now considering the pending academic stuff he's got going right now.

You're right. Rivals says Pierce is at Holy Angels. Also, doesn't prep school seem like the best route right now considering the pending academic stuff he's got going right now.

With Webb, I don't know. It might be a viable route for him but I don't think he is/was as far away academically as making that his only option. What I mean is that he did get offer from Toledo (I believe). Toledo knows he would have to get through the NCAA clearinghouse to play there and they must have access to his grades. My guess is that he is/was close to being able to qualify here.

He is a talented kid. He sort of reminds me of Tyrone Carter (not entirely in style of play). He is an undersized S but he is physical and he is always around the ball. It's cliche to say, but he is a playmaker. If he does need prep school, I hope we stay in contact with him and offer him.

Going into the season, I would have ranked Webb #1 (in the metro) and Harden #2, but I also thought they were sure-fire BCS conference players. Then again, I don't know anything :).

Top Bottom