ben lauer latest to commit

Off-GridTNgopher

Reaction score
Ben Lauer
Just committed to play football at the university of Minnesota. This is a dream come true and i Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way.

hoping hes grey shirting

He's kind of like Jimmy Gjere. He's tall, 6'6" / 6'7", needs to add weight, but I think he's a high upside OT prospect.

Anyone know for sure if he will be on scholarship?

i think he and duke so far are deff 2 grey shirt options..

bob do you think he has the same abilty as Gjere? i watched a little tape of him after i found he was offered. deff needs to add some weight if he plans onm seeing the feild. not a bad pick up...

im begining to think andre, gregory, as well as charlie are all gone...

bob do you think he has the same abilty as Gjere? i watched a little tape of him after i found he was offered. deff needs to add some weight if he plans onm seeing the feild. not a bad pick up...

Charlie was never really here. He visited, but even his post visit interview was a bunch of "meh...". No idea how Gregory feels after his visit to Purdue. Andre is Andre.

I haven't tried to pick either of them up or anything, but based on Gjere's film in high school and what I've seen of Lauer, Gjere body-wise seemed a lot more college ready. Lauer has a big frame, but he needs to add a lot to it. I don't honestly have a strong feeling about offering Lauer a scholarship, but from what I've seen of him, he needs to play with a lot more aggression. In that sense, he does remind me of Gjere coming out of high school. I think everything was so easy for Jimmy in high school that he played passive at times.

Charlie was never really here. He visited, but even his post visit interview was a bunch of "meh...". No idea how Gregory feels after his visit to Purdue. Andre is Andre.

I haven't tried to pick either of them up or anything, but based on Gjere's film in high school and what I've seen of Lauer, Gjere body-wise seemed a lot more college ready. Lauer has a big frame, but he needs to add a lot to it. I don't honestly have a strong feeling about offering Lauer a scholarship, but from what I've seen of him, he needs to play with a lot more aggression. In that sense, he does remind me of Gjere coming out of high school. I think everything was so easy for Jimmy in high school that he played passive at times.

I'm not a rivals subscriber, but Rivals only recently updated Miller's profile to show MN, Vandy, and Northern Illinois as finalists ("High Interest")

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. I think Lauer is a lot like Jimmy, but Jimmy was just a tad more ready to play (I still think Jimmy is probably a year from being real good).

Jimmy is 6'7" 270 and Lauer is 6'6" 260, they both play a little passive, but they are both really strong athletes for the OT position. But I do think you're right, Jimmy was a touch more ready to contribute early than Lauer. I like Jimmy's potential, but he really struggled when he played last season. I think a couple years from now, he'll be good. I think similar things about Lauer. When he is a RS-JR, I expect him to be a really good football player. The world just isn't full of guys who are 6'6"-6'7" and can athletically carry 290-300 lbs.

One other thing to note when you're comparing what you see out of Lauer with Gjere's highlights is that Lauer is playing in a much better conference on a team that runs a zone blocking scheme. That kind of scheme doesn't really allow dominant OL to single up on the guy in front of him and get a lot of pancakes. On the backside of the play, he's often going to chip or cut the guy in front of him. For instance, Mahtomedi with Tommy Olson ran a really traditional blocking scheme, and Tommy just mauled the guy in front of him on every single play. Which is awesome, and shows dominance. But Lauer isn't even supposed to do that.

I'm not a rivals subscriber, but Rivals only recently updated Miller's profile to show MN, Vandy, and Northern Illinois as finalists ("High Interest")
So it does. I don't have any privileged information so I certainly hold the possibility that I'm totally wrong. It's just that the only time I've seen him talk about us he seemed pretty non-interested, but in talking about Georgia Tech (where he's supposed to visit but now doesn't have an offer) and UCF (who now he's less interested in according to rivals) he did a lot more raving.

But again, I'm just parsing words here, which is a rather foolhardy thing to do with a high school kid.

I think Gjere is a tough more ready right now, but I think they have similar upsides. He needs to get bigger and stronger, like Gjere.

Duke and Lauer are both good GS candidates.

I said a couple days ago and i'm sticking with it, I think we get Charlie Miller or McDonald.

So it does. I don't have any privileged information so I certainly hold the possibility that I'm totally wrong. It's just that the only time I've seen him talk about us he seemed pretty non-interested, but in talking about Georgia Tech (where he's supposed to visit but now doesn't have an offer) and UCF (who now he's less interested in according to rivals) he did a lot more raving.

But again, I'm just parsing words here, which is a rather foolhardy thing to do with a high school kid.

That's the exact vibe I got out of the whole thing too. Just from looking at his remaining interest....

I think both Vandy and MN are hedging their McDonald bets with Miller. (If McDonald goes to UCLA, they'll both go hard after him)
I think Northern Illinois is his safety school, the school he goes to if somethign screwy happens on signing day, they are his favorite non-BCS school. Kids rarely choose a non-BCS in lieu of a BCS offer.

but from what I've seen of him, he needs to play with a lot more aggression. In that sense, he does remind me of Gjere coming out of high school. I think everything was so easy for Jimmy in high school that he played passive at times.

I haven't seen Lauer play, but watched Gjere when he played in the HS all-american game (Army or Underarmor?) and he got mauled. He was buried twice on pass blocking and never could move the DT in front of him. I came away not very impressed after his being a 4 star. However, if you are correct in that he played passively in HS because he didn't have to be physical, that would explain it.

Before you all jump my ass, I thought Gjere had made a lot of progress this year before he got hurt. I expect him to develop into a solid, if not all conference OL for the Gophers.

Way to go, Ben. Good things are going to happen under Coach K, and you get to be part of it. The momentum is just starting to build.

Welcome Ben! You'll develop to your fullest potential under Coach Kill & Co. A smart move on your part! A great deal for MN.

Go Gophers!

From Scout article re:grayshirting: “They’re not 100% sure yet, it all depends on what happens during spring ball like how guys are playing and what’s happening with injuries so they’re going to wait and see how that all works out.”

Congrats Ben! Glad you're a Gopher!

I think he'll benefit a ton from Klein's S&C program.

From Scout article re:grayshirting: “They’re not 100% sure yet, it all depends on what happens during spring ball like how guys are playing and what’s happening with injuries so they’re going to wait and see how that all works out.”

has anything been said about beal and if he will ever play again? id think kill would want to figure that out as it could open another scolly if he got the medical deal... same with brooks michael

has anything been said about beal and if he will ever play again? id think kill would want to figure that out as it could open another scolly if he got the medical deal... same with brooks michael

Coach Kill indicated that for Beal they won't know anythng until spring practice and more likely not until fall camp. His injury is very serious.

Top Bottom