Ben Johnson Style of Play Video

Only takeaway I have from this is he expects you to play defense and hopefully he means that with intensity and engagement/communication. The dude’s not Phil Jackson and going to say we run a triangle offense and that’s how it is in this kind of interview so I don’t know if we exactly need to overreact there

I was looking for what a winning style of play meant. Nothing came up, but anything like the bottom sounds more detailed than "mean streak, gritty"

Offensive Basketball Strategy Offensive basketball strategies may include designed plays to a style of play. Teams tend to want to play an up-tempo fast break game or they want to slow the game down and get into their half court offense. Teams with athletic and fast players may want to play a fast paced game where they can take advantage of their speed in the open court. Other teams may feel they can excel in a half court game taking advantage of their designed plays, outside shooting, or post up play. The key to any good offensive strategy is passing. The ball can be passed faster and more effectively than it can be dribbled. By passing the ball around quickly an offensive basketball team can cause the defensive team to move and make adjustments. Enough good passes and eventually an offensive player will get a good open shot. One of the staples to most any basketball offensive game is the pick-and-roll. This is when one offensive player will stand in the way of a player defending another offensive player who has the ball. The player with the ball will then start to make a move. At the same time the player setting the pick will roll to the basket. The defenders now have to make a choice on whom to cover. They can often get confused and, in the confusion, either the player with the ball will have an open shot, or the player setting the pick will be wide open for an easy layup

Read more at: https://www.ducksters.com/sports/basketballstrategy.php
This text is Copyright © Ducksters. Do not use without permission.
Passing is key...maybe Paige Becker will enter the portal.

THE POSITIVES

There are certainly reasons to be very excited about Ben Johnson as a head coach of the Gophers. The lack of being a head coach does not mean that he is lacking coaching experience. Nor does it mean that he may not be a very good head coach. He was going to get that opportunity one day, he just happened to land his first head coaching at his alma-matter. And arguably landed his dream job at age 41.

DUCK-DUCK-GREY-DUCK

He is one of us. Ben Johnson went to high school in Minnesota, he played for the Gophers and he coached for the Gophers. He is from here and the assumption is that if he were to build this program into something great, he will never leave her. This may or may not be true and fearing him leaving is irrational. But his deep local ties is significant.

Having played in the high school scene and having spent ample time recruiting here, he knows the Minnesota basketball landscape. There is zero learning curve and he has significant relationships established here. This is important and is not to be underestimated.

RECRUITING

Why should his relationships and knowledge of local basketball not be underestimated? Because it will pay off in recruiting. It is well established that Minnesota has an unusually high amount of high-caliber basketball players coming out of the North Star state. And Johnson has recruited a number of them.

We have heard since the Dan Monson years that whoever was the Gopher coach didn’t connect well with the local high school basketball coaches (and possibly by extension the AAU coaches of influence). We heard it with Monson, we heard with Tubby and we heard it with Pitino. This should absolutely not be the case with Johnson and if it is, then it comes down to some very unrealistic expectations from the local coaches.

As we discuss this on @DanBarreiroKFAN show, one thing is clear to me: Mark Coyle wants more kids staying home. The AAU and high school community has always told us they are high on Ben Johnson...we'll see now if they meant it.
— Justin Gaard (@jgkfan) March 22, 2021
But it isn’t just here, it isn’t just understanding the Minnesota scene. Johnson is a recruiter and he’s good at it. Go back to the quote from Steele on Johnson pulling kids for the Muskateers out of Alabama and New Jersey.

The Muskateer’s leading scorer this year was a freshman and recruited by Johnson. Their top recruit in the 2019 class, was recruited by Johnson. And going back to his time at Minnesota, you can thank him for Amir Coffey, Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and others.

With the state producing SEVEN kids who are rated with 4-stars in the 2022 class, there couldn’t be a better time to hire someone like Ben Johnson to land a handful of them (more on that this week).

A MAN OF RELATIONSHIPS

The man now leading the Gophers is one who very appears to be one about building relationships. Caring about the player as much as (or more) as he cares about what he can get out of that player.

Winning, at this level, matters. But being a quality human, who makes good decisions while also being concerned about helping these young men navigate life is important. Having a face of your program who cares about building the right kind of relationships is one who is trying to build something that is sustainable.

Twitter is loaded with stories of Johnson and how much respect he has from former players, parents of recruits and other coaches. Winning will determine his fate as the Gopher’s head coach, but one thing we learned from Pitino is that there is a lot of respect for people who handle this job with class and integrity. I have confidence that we have that once again and it is a positive attribute that Johnson is bringing to the table.

TEACHING

Johnson has been given accolades both at Minnesota and at Xavier for his player development. Especially how he has handled guards. Teaching and getting his players to play the way they need to, within their specific system, seems to be a strength of his.

Not an easily quantifiable category that I may be arbitrarily putting into the positives category, but I think that teaching will be a strength of Johnson’s.

THE QUESTIONS

Now we get to the concerning parts of this hire. And the mostly come down to the fact that Johnson has never been a head coach...at any level. He is not lacking overall experience, he’s been a part of a high-major D1 program since 2012. He’s learned from Miles, Pitino and Steele at this level. Ben Jacobsen has been successful at the mid-major level with Johnson on his staff as well. But there is absolutely going to be a learning curve here.

RUNNING A PROGRAM

There is so much more on his plate now than there was yesterday. Managing your staff, being accountable for the actions of the 13 kids on your team, media responsibilities and then all of the “regular coaching things” like scouting, planning, recruiting, teaching, etc. Being a guy in the room for all of these things is very different than being THE guy running the room for ALL of these things.

Letting one area slip can be detrimental to what you are trying to build. I’d imagine that every coach who lands his first head coaching job has his head spinning for most of the first year. Now make that first job a Big Ten job in a major media market. This is not going to be easy, there will be learning curve.

BUILDING A STAFF

This is the one I am most interested to see play out. Michigan recently hired Juwan Howard, who had zero head coaching experience. And I think sneakily, one of the best things he did was hire Phil Martelli on his staff. The former St. Joe’s head coach who lead the Hawks for 24 years. A widely respected man in the profession who, undoubtedly helped Howard in his first two seasons.

Now, what will Johnson do for his staff? Will he show wisdom to hire a great coach or two who can help him in areas where he isn’t as strong?

Will he retain someone like Ed Conroy, who he worked with previously and has shown to be a very good developer of big men? Not that Conroy has to be on Johnson’s staff, I’m not calling for that, but will he compliment his strengths and hire experienced people?

I personally don’t care who he specifically hires on his staff. But I’ve always been a firm believer that many coaches who experience success at this level, often have a fantastic assistant or two who has done a lot to help get their program there. Ben Johnson will not succeed with a mediocre staff, who he hires matters.

IN GAME AND SYTEMS

Coaching a game seems like the easy part. But to be honest, I have real concern about Johnson learning on the job in the Big Ten. So many, very experienced and talented coaches in the Big Ten. Year one may (or may not) be a pretty dramatic learning experience. But this is really more about how much will he learn from year 1 to year 2.

And on top of in-game coaching, we really don’t know what Johnson’s philosophy is going to be on offense and defense. Again, after learning under Miles, Pitino and Steele; the hope would be that he has taken what he likes from each stop and knows exactly what he wants to run for his program. This is more about it just being an unknown and a question, not a concern.

Last week I posted about how I wanted a coach who has a style, a specific system. Then he teaches that system and recruits to it. Right now, we have no idea what that system will be.

CONCLUSION

The short of it is that I am very excited about the possibility of Johnson while having some legitimate questions about hiring someone with zero experience. If Ben Johnson were from Tennessee and played his college ball at Winthrop, he never would have been on the list of the top 100 candidates.

There are good reasons for this hire and it is fair to acknowledge that there are questions. I have zero doubt that Coyle was aware of these questions and had to have had them answered to his satisfaction.

I’m fully supporting this hire. The potential is there to build something special. If there is anybody who is going to be able to retain Minnesota talent at Minnesota, this is the guy to do it. Really, from a local recruiting perspective the only names you could hire who would be more equipped to lock down Minnesota recruiting rhyme with perpeschky or woy rilliams.

The local coaches wanted a guy who connects with them better. They’ve got it.

Gopher fans want a coach who will work his ass off to recruit locally and won’t be using this as a stepping stone job. You’ve got him.

Now we support this program and staff and hope they come through. People speaking with authoritative language that he will or will not succeed are guessing and will be very excited to say “I told you.” But that will be several years from now and is just a guess. Until we actually know, I’m on board and can’t wait to see how the Ben Johnson era will play out.

Welcome to Gopher Nation, Ben Johnson.

Analy
That's kind of the conundrum I'm trying to figure out. It seems to be that to be successful in the BIG you have to be physical and play great defense and run when you can, but they get their arse kicked in the tournament by faster, more athletic, better shooting teams. Not enough of an expert to know the answer but would think there is a style that is competitive in the BIG but can also play on the big stage. I'm not sure size matters that much any more (to a degree understandably) but you want quickness, athleticism and shooting ability.
Analyst keep saying if it were a best 2 out of 3 the B1G would fare much better...?

BJ was a bit more specific, Andy Katz actually seemed to bring BJ back to reality by telling him you're not going to get every kid in the state lol.

So if i heard this correctly, he's not going to go traditional B1G ten style, hes going to incorporate more of an east coast, Big East, style and create something unique.

Isn't that what Pitino tried to do?

BJ was a bit more specific, Andy Katz actually seemed to bring BJ back to reality by telling him you're not going to get every kid in the state lol.

So if i heard this correctly, he's not going to go traditional B1G ten style, hes going to incorporate more of an east coast, Big East, style and create something unique.

Isn't that what Pitino tried to do?
He said he was going to do it. I don’t know how hard he tried.

Recruiting players that can dribble and (make...) shots is already a step up.
After watching this year's NCAA tournament, I am amazed a how poorly players are shooting. Made shots seem much less likely than, say, ten or twelve years ago.

Just wanted to give an update. He's getting closer to having a set style of play. The idea is there guys, so don't stress

"I think those two things are something that I will be able to bring right away to help this staff," Jenkins said. "Then at Richmond, I was the offensive coordinator as the associate head coach. I know Ben has an idea of exactly how he wants to play, and he's explained that to me...

Just wanted to give an update. He's getting closer to having a set style of play. The idea is there guys, so don't stress

"I think those two things are something that I will be able to bring right away to help this staff," Jenkins said. "Then at Richmond, I was the offensive coordinator as the associate head coach. I know Ben has an idea of exactly how he wants to play, and he's explained that to me...

Ben's not going to just lay out a style of play for you. Right now one of the few unknowns he has to other teams that play us is that they don't know what we are going to do. He has given some hints with his assistant additions however. You can guarantee that they will play man defense 98-100 percent of the time. You know that they will expect ball pressure but the help will be in pack line or gap and not up the line. Offensively you will probably see motion with some Princeton concepts and he said he wants to have a little higher tempo as well. Ben's saavy enough where I don't worry about him offensively and defensively as a plan. What I don't know and we will have to see is if he can recruit and develop players to that plan.

Ben's not going to just lay out a style of play for you. Right now one of the few unknowns he has to other teams that play us is that they don't know what we are going to do. He has given some hints with his assistant additions however. You can guarantee that they will play man defense 98-100 percent of the time. You know that they will expect ball pressure but the help will be in pack line or gap and not up the line. Offensively you will probably see motion with some Princeton concepts and he said he wants to have a little higher tempo as well. Ben's saavy enough where I don't worry about him offensively and defensively as a plan. What I don't know and we will have to see is if he can recruit and develop players to that plan.

He wasn't laying it out to me, because one, he doesn't have one set.

He was giving his "idea of" what he wants to play to his assistant coach.

Two different things

I went back and looked at Johnson's answers in March and, when you boil down the coach speak, he's saying, "It depends." I like that. I prefer that to Pitino's give the ball to the pg and let him dribble down the clock, interspersed with the 30 feet away from the hoop weave approach. On defense Pitino seemed determined to leave the three point line open, regardless of personnel.

If Johnson is saying let's see who we get in here and I'll decide, that makes sense to me.

I understand there is a lot of curiosity about this - and a lot of concerns - but I don't know a single coach who is going to come out and tell the media specific details about their offensive and defensive schemes.

When Fleck was hired, I remember a lot of talk about how his offense was very WR friendly. but in reality, Fleck has shown that he is more of a run-first coach than it seemed at the time of his hiring.

if Ben Johnson came out and did a detailed chalk talk on his offense with charts and video - that would just help other teams prepare to face the Gophers. Then people on here could criticize him because he gave away too much information about his system.

Let’s hope it goes better than randy Whitman’s t-wolves span. That dude was on every dime piece in the place.

Top Bottom