Ben Johnson on scheduling St. Thomas as opponent: "I think we will stay away from that game"

Yes. Those are no different to me. The only people who want to see that game have some connection to UST. I don't.
you’re right, the only people who care about UST care about UST either directly or indirectly

astute observation

Yes. Those are no different to me. The only people who want to see that game have some connection to UST. I don't.
That's not true, I have zero connection to St Thomas as far as being an alum or fan. In fact I have been to probably 50+ MIAC games in various sports and rooted against them every time, even when they played St John's.

I would be far more interested in watching or attending the Gophers play St Thomas than anyone else on this year's Gophers non-conference schedule.

Granted this year was out of the ordinary for Nov-Dec as they were not hosting either the ACC or Big East Challenges and with the coaching change roster turnover they opted for cupcakes.

That's not true, I have zero connection to St Thomas as far as being an alum or fan. In fact I have been to probably 50+ MIAC games in various sports and rooted against them every time, even when they played St John's.

I would be far more interested in watching or attending the Gophers play St Thomas than anyone else on this year's Gophers non-conference schedule.

Granted this year was out of the ordinary for Nov-Dec as they were not hosting either the ACC or Big East Challenges and with the coaching change roster turnover they opted for cupcakes.

I don't believe anyone really feels the same about UST as they do Corpus Christi. It's just not possible. I could understand (but I'd disagree) with someone saying that they'd have more interest in UST but they would be worried that interest would breath life into UST and create competition. But to say they have just as little interest in UST as they would Corpus Christi. . .that's bizarre.

you’re right, the only people who care about UST care about UST either directly or indirectly

astute observation
I disagree. I have 0 connections towards St Thomas and I'm not catholic and never competed agaisnt them when I was in college. I do however enjoy Minnesota high school basketball, and its interesting how they are bringing in 3 pretty good recruits from Minnesota next year. I will continue to follow them as they are already 3rd or 4th best in the summit league without being tournament eligible. It is an interesting story and Ben should play them next year..

I don't believe anyone really feels the same about UST as they do Corpus Christi. It's just not possible. I could understand (but I'd disagree) with someone saying that they'd have more interest in UST but they would be worried that interest would breath life into UST and create competition. But to say they have just as little interest in UST as they would Corpus Christi. . .that's bizarre.
It is literally not true and is proven by his own posting.

Would he ever post that he doesn’t think we should schedule Corpus Christi? The answer is no. But he does post about not wanting to schedule UST. So even he thinks differently about UST. He just played himself

It is literally not true and is proven by his own posting.

Would he ever post that he doesn’t think we should schedule Corpus Christi? The answer is no. But he does post about not wanting to schedule UST. So even he thinks differently about UST. He just played himself
Where is the thread about scheduling Corpus Christi?

Are you opposed to scheduling Corpus Christi?
Are you opposed to scheduling UST?
I'm opposed to thinking that we need to schedule either one. They are the same to me as neither does anything to help the Gopher program.

I'm opposed to thinking that we need to schedule either one. They are the same to me as neither does anything to help the Gopher program.
Nice job answering a question nobody has even suggested let alone asked.
Quote a single person saying the gophers need to schedule UST

I disagree. I have 0 connections towards St Thomas and I'm not catholic and never competed agaisnt them when I was in college. I do however enjoy Minnesota high school basketball, and its interesting how they are bringing in 3 pretty good recruits from Minnesota next year. I will continue to follow them as they are already 3rd or 4th best in the summit league without being tournament eligible. It is an interesting story and Ben should play them next year..
If you want to see them play then go buy a ticket for a UST game. They are cheap and plenty of seats available.

Nice job answering a question nobody has even suggested let alone asked.
Quote a single person saying the gophers need to schedule UST

Well, you asked me two questions and I responded to both at the same time.

To answer the single question this time: Yes, I am opposed to scheduling UST. For many reasons. One of them is that there is no reason to help them along. Kansas won't schedule Wichita State for the same reason. UST already got a lot of help to move quickly from D3 to D1.

I think this is an understandable take but you actually went a step further than that "the only people who want to see that game have some connection to UST."

While I understand the take that you don't want to see UST, I think it's pretty naive to think the only people who want to see that game (more than our other non-conference games) would be people who have some affiliation to UST. To me, it's only logical that people would want to see that game.

Well, you asked me two questions and I responded to both at the same time.

To answer the single question this time: Yes, I am opposed to scheduling UST. For many reasons. One of them is that there is no reason to help them along. Kansas won't schedule Wichita State for the same reason. UST already got a lot of help to move quickly from D3 to D1.
So you were not speaking truth when you said you don’t think any differently about scheduling UST compared to Corpus Christi

You oppose scheduling UST
You don’t care about Corpus Christi

that’s a fine and valid position to take. It’s my position on the football team when I don’t think they should schedule any Dakota schools or northern Iowa. But you should quit lying and saying you don’t feel any different about UST vs other cupcake opponents. Because it isn’t what your opinion is. If you don’t think we should schedule UST just say it

I think this is an understandable take but you actually went a step further than that "the only people who want to see that game have some connection to UST."

While I understand the take that you don't want to see UST, I think it's pretty naive to think the only people who want to see that game (more than our other non-conference games) would be people who have some affiliation to UST. To me, it's only logical that people would want to see that game.
I'll give you that it was maybe taking it a little far to say that. I'd still say the "didn't go to UST/have any connection to UST, but want to see that game" group is pretty darn small. You could probably say the same for NDSU/SDSU/USD/UND/Drake/etc. And again, the main thing to me is that it doesn't do anything for the U.

Assume it is true (I don't, but let's assume) that we sell a few hundred extra tickets -- so we make another 400x$50=$20,000. Also consider that many will buy tickets on the secondary market as opposed to from the U so the U gets nothing. Is that extra drop in the bucket vs the downside of potentially losing to them worth it? It's not even close.

So you were not speaking truth when you said you don’t think any differently about scheduling UST compared to Corpus Christi

You oppose scheduling UST
You don’t care about Corpus Christi

that’s a fine and valid position to take. It’s my position on the football team when I don’t think they should schedule any Dakota schools or northern Iowa. But you should quit lying and saying you don’t feel any different about UST vs other cupcake opponents. Because it isn’t what your opinion is. If you don’t think we should schedule UST just say it
What I said was that they are the same in that neither does anything to help the program. Is that wrong?

I'll give you that it was maybe taking it a little far to say that. I'd still say the "didn't go to UST/have any connection to UST, but want to see that game" group is pretty darn small. You could probably say the same for NDSU/SDSU/USD/UND/Drake/etc. And again, the main thing to me is that it doesn't do anything for the U.

Assume it is true (I don't, but let's assume) that we sell a few hundred extra tickets -- so we make another 400x$50=$20,000. Also consider that many will buy tickets on the secondary market as opposed to from the U so the U gets nothing. Is that extra drop in the bucket vs the downside of potentially losing to them worth it? It's not even close.
This is a completely valid argument and it’s how I feel about the Dakota’s and northern Iowa in football.

What I said was that they are the same in that neither does anything to help the program. Is that wrong?
No you said they are the same in your level of interest. Which is not true. You actively think they should avoid scheduling UST. You have a completely different level of interest in UST compared to other cupcakes. There probably isn’t another non power 6 team in the country you think the gophers should avoid
You would be equally interested in the UST game as you would the Corpus Christi game?
You said Corpus Christi is no different than UST to you.

Most teams in Power 5 conferences have 1/3 to 1/2 their schedule that fall into this category…. Maybe the Gophers can schedule 11 top 100 KenPom ranked teams for their non con schedule next year… like that will happen.

UWGB is terrible NET 340…. Hopefully the Gophers don’t schedule them or UW Milwaukee next year..

UST NET is 212 they would beat UWGB.. makes more sense to play UST from a competitive standpoint and interest standpoint.

UWGB is terrible NET 340…. Hopefully the Gophers don’t schedule them or UW Milwaukee next year..

UST NET is 212 they would beat UWGB.. makes more sense to play UST from a competitive standpoint and interest standpoint.
I think that people should take from this basketball season is how much people overvalue being “d1” vs d3

UST two years ago probably beats 25% of d1 teams
St. John’s this year could probably beat 100 division 1 teams.

The bottom of d1 is bad

I thought competition breeds greatness. We should want to spotlight UST and get more quality basketball players in the state. UST should be more worried about the U poaching their best players, but somehow the U is the one who doesn't have anything to gain? We played Concordia St. Paul this season in exhibition, was that a bad idea? For those of you that say go buy a ticket to a UST game, you must have much more time on your hands than most. I have time to follow the Gophers and that's about all I care to focus my energy towards sports. UST has local players on their team that would be fun to watch against the Gophers, I thought this board was all about local, local, local!!!!

No you said they are the same in your level of interest. Which is not true. You actively think they should avoid scheduling UST. You have a completely different level of interest in UST compared to other cupcakes. There probably isn’t another non power 6 team in the country you think the gophers should avoid

You said Corpus Christi is no different than UST to you.
I’d schedule a quality tournament (3 games) each year, add couple home and homes with P6 teams (alternating years - 2 games), the B1G-ACC challenge (1 game), and then 5 home cupcakes. (Potential Gavitt game in there to replace one of the 5 home cupcakes.)

The 5 home cupcakes can be pretty much anyone, but if it’s Corpus Christi or UST it doesn’t make a difference to me in terms of my level of interest. There are teams I would avoid with those games. I don’t think we should prioritize giving UST one of those games, and when you consider the potential downside I would not give one of those to UST. They just aren’t at the level where it should be prioritized. In terms of the level of opponent UST/TXAMCC/UMKC/etc are all the same

I’d schedule a quality tournament (3 games) each year, add couple home and homes with P6 teams (alternating years - 2 games), the B1G-ACC challenge (1 game), and then 5 home cupcakes. (Potential Gavitt game in there to replace one of the 5 home cupcakes.)

The 5 home cupcakes can be pretty much anyone, but if it’s Corpus Christi or UST it doesn’t make a difference to me in terms of my level of interest. There are teams I would avoid with those games. I don’t think we should prioritize giving UST one of those games, and when you consider the potential downside I would not give one of those to UST. They just aren’t at the level where it should be prioritized. In terms of the level of opponent UST/TXAMCC/UMKC/etc are all the same
I would probably agree with you if I wasn’t a grad.
I don’t think the university of Minnesota should ever help the following programs play a game in Minnesota:
Marquette
Iowa state
Drake
Northern iowa
Any Dakota

I thought competition breeds greatness. We should want to spotlight UST and get more quality basketball players in the state. UST should be more worried about the U poaching their best players, but somehow the U is the one who doesn't have anything to gain? We played Concordia St. Paul this season in exhibition, was that a bad idea? For those of you that say go buy a ticket to a UST game, you must have much more time on your hands than most. I have time to follow the Gophers and that's about all I care to focus my energy towards sports. UST has local players on their team that would be fun to watch against the Gophers, I thought this board was all about local, local, local!!!!
This board is about the Gophers

I don’t think the university of Minnesota should ever help the following programs play a game in Minnesota:
Marquette
Iowa state
Drake
Northern iowa
Any Dakota
100% agree. I’d play the first couple in a neutral site game at Sanford/Fiserv or something like that, but not here

I think I probably have a little bias from my MIAC playing days (different sport) when UST was an opponent, and I think you probably have a little bias as well being an alum. Agree to disagree on my end

Marquette
Iowa state
Drake
Northern iowa
Any Dakota
Scheduling Marquette or Iowa State I would argue helps the Gophers as much as those schools, especially if they beat them.

No Big 10/P6 program should ever have any worries about Drake, Northern Iowa or any of the Dakota schools, rebuilding or not.

Top Bottom