Ben Johnson is OUR coach thread, he’s got my full support!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The hire news caught me by surprise, he wasn’t one of my top 5-6 choices but he’s now my favorite coach and has my full support.

Our family has had season tickets since 1969, through massive scandal, horrible seasons, etc. For the first time since Kundla, we have a Gopher as HC.

I’m ready for the Ben Johnson Era!

Go Ben Johnson!!

I've vented and I'm all in the boat to row. I can understand the shock and initial anger, to stay that way over something I can't control is a waste of my energy and silly IMO.

Let's go get some good players out of that portal and keep the ones we need.

I look forward to hearing more about your plans for the basketball program and wish you all the success in the world. We have an awesome basketball state, a great university, competitive conference, killer training facilities, a special arena, and great fans (...but of course, you already know this). I believe there is a path for you to turn the Gophers basketball program into something really special.

Welcome home and go Gophers!

I’m in, surprised but all in. It’s not a tough call. I’m not sure you can be my friend if your not on the bus. Good luck Ben and go Gophs.

Reactions: ZPI

I’m all for giving him his shot, but I don’t think this is hire to turn the program around. Kids want to go to winning programs...not what we have here. He may be a great recruiter-but it’s easy to recruit to programs that consistently win. I’ll wait to judge the product he puts out there. I’m afraid we’re in for some dreary basketball seasons.

Loving the Williams Arena experience since 1970—seems like an impossible mission given a relatively thin resume. However if a Minneapolis guy can recruit Minnesota kids (assuming that’s the vision which sold Coyle) and win—it will be a helluva ride. I’m in with Coach Ben from section 101, row 3.

I as always am hoping for the best. No matter what, it should be exciting and a massively welcome change from the sheer drudgery of the Pitino era. I do agree with all those who believe that it's pretty dang cool to have a local guy coaching the team, so there is that, and I'm hopeful that Coach J can leverage his contacts and relationships in the area into keeping some kids home who might otherwise have gone elsewhere.

Still shocked, still mystified, but hey, it's all good. I'll be watching with great anticipation as to how this is all going to play out.

I'm on board, what can I say. I'm a hopelessly optimistic, glass-half-full, tomorrow will be better than today kind of guy. Guilty as charged. Quite honestly, I think the alternative would be horrendously depressing!

GO GOPHERS!!!

I seem to remember a " I support Richard Pitino thread" at the beginning of his tenure also.....Let's see where this is at 2 years from now when Williams arena is half full.

The one thing I'd say is all of those that Coyle has hired so far have been ultra competitive looking at PJ, Motzko and Whalen. All pretty fiery. I really don't even know what Ben will look like as a coach. I hope we see more of that side. You can't just be the relationship guy. College basketball you've got to demand more from your players. I really hope we see that.

I do trust Coyle, but wow he's really testing that with this one. Time will tell.

I'm gonna hit the hay and sleep on this...I'm going to try again tomorrow to get excited about this hire, but tonight it ain't happening.

Top Bottom