Ben Johnson is NOT a disaster....

Who cares, the 2020 team also finished 6-14 in the B1G

That team also had to navigate through a league where 11 of the other 13 teams were in the top 50 of KenPom. And they also didn't finish 6-14, they finished 8-12. That didn't mean they weren't a quality team, they just played a ridiculously difficult schedule.

Time will tell, but I feel some optimism with this team. Guard play has improved significantly, and the young guys seem to be developing in the right direction. Two of our better players did not have great offensive games last night (Garcia and Christie), but they still found a way to gut out a gritty win on the road. W feels good regardless of the style points!

• Nice win over a Nebraska team that some think is a tournament team.
  • Nice win over Michigan on the road
  • Beat a FGCU team that knocked off a #7 FAU team.
  • 11-3 after winning 9 games last year.
  • Has a full healthy roster 14 games in
  • Seems to have a plan on building his roster and an eye for talent.
  • His portal gets have for the most part be impactful
.500 in Conference would be legendary. Ben is currently .195. If he finds a way to go 10-10 for 3 straight years. That would get him to .364 in conference play after 5 years.

Pitino was .360 and after 3 years was .296
Tubby was .426 and .481
Monson was .393 and .375
Clem was .498 and .277

Last edited:

• Nice win over a Nebraska team that some think is a tournament team.
  • Nice win over Michigan on the road
  • Beat a FGCU team that knocked off a #7 FAU team.
  • 11-3 after winning 9 games last year.
  • Has a full healthy roster 14 games in
  • Seems to have a plan on building his roster and an eye for talent.
  • His portal gets have for the most part be impactful
.500 in Conference would be legendary. Ben is currently .195. If he finds a way to go 10-10 for 3 straight years. That would get him to .364 in conference play after 4 years.

Pitino was .360 and after 3 years was .296
Tubby was .426 and .481
Monson was .393 and .375
Clem was .498 and .277
Like I said in the thread I started where I got vilified, it ain’t easy to win or recruit in MN. Ben was left with the cupboards bare. Clem was not.

That team also had to navigate through a league where 11 of the other 13 teams were in the top 50 of KenPom. And they also didn't finish 6-14, they finished 8-12. That didn't mean they weren't a quality team, they just played a ridiculously difficult schedule.
My bad- I was thinking of the 2021 COVID season team.

Yea, the 2020 team was decent and lost a crap ton of close games.

Like I said in the thread I started where I got vilified, it ain’t easy to win or recruit in MN. Ben was left with the cupboards bare. Clem was not.
Clem had a bare cupboard when he got here. His first year- Newbern couldn't play his frosh year, Burton was super green and Schick was almost unplayable. The first Clem team was horrid.

The prove it year has always been Payne’s junior year. It would be nice if we arrive early though.
This is the year that we establish the foundation for next year. IF everyone returns I believe we only loose Fox and Wilson and get better adding Asuma and Grove. Year four on paper should be Ben's best squad and able to compete for a top 1/3 of the BIG spot.

My prediction was a 17-15 season and 18-14 at best and NIT and I'm sticking to it.

Tr
Clem had a bare cupboard when he got here. His first year- Newbern couldn't play his frosh year, Burton was super green and Schick was almost unplayable. The first Clem team was horrid.
True, it was not until his 3rd year that he had a winning record. Let’s give Ben the same opportunity. All I am bringing up is that there were players (as you mention) left on his roster, who developed. CBJ was left with nothing, except Ihnan.

Lot of season left and things could go sideways....but from what I have seen to this point I don't see Johnson getting canned at the end of this season. I don't know if he will prove to be the guy but maybe.....just maybe.....he isn't the disaster that some have him pegged to be.
You start this thread after one road win against Michigan!?! C’mon man, you gotta be stronger than that! 😉

You start this thread after one road win against Michigan!?! C’mon man, you gotta be stronger than that! 😉
Felt like it was time. There is still a future "Ben Johnson is not a disaster" thread for some point in the future if he actually manages to get things on track.

But felt like it was time for a counter thread to the Disaster thread which is up to 130 some pages or whatever :)

Felt like it was time. There is still a future "Ben Johnson is not a disaster" thread for some point in the future if he actually manages to get things on track.

But felt like it was time for a counter thread to the Disaster thread which is up to 130 some pages or whatever :)
This would be considered a transitional post. Long way to go to get to 131 pages!

I'm going to be irrationally optimistic. They look good. The guards look genuinely good. We aren't beating teams just because we "got hot" and even our loss to Missouri felt like we were the much better team.

I'm going to be irrationally optimistic. They look good. The guards look genuinely good. We aren't beating teams just because we "got hot" and even our loss to Missouri felt like we were the much better team.
Why not? Season is underway, nothing going to happen with the job right now. Will say this, think Payne can get better, Christie can get better, Ola-Joseph can get a lot better, Carrington can get better, maybe Ihnen.

Anyone have a feel for if NIL had any impact on attracting Hawkins and Mitchell in the portal and Garcia last year? Or was the recruiting just organic to the school and coach?

I feel like those two thread titles would maybe benefit from a little bit of tweaking just to make sure they are not taken out of context :)
Yeah, the hanging from the rafters one made me cringe.

Anyone have a feel for if NIL had any impact on attracting Hawkins and Mitchell in the portal and Garcia last year? Or was the recruiting just organic to the school and coach?
So tough to say because there is so much unknown around NIL/Pay for Play but we must be doing something right on that front because football seems to be keeping all the top guys around.

Top Bottom