Ben Johnson is a Disaster

What are we even doing anymore? Just fire Ben now and let an assistant coach next year and have a year long coaching search.

This pathetic charade needs to end.
I know right, the horror of scheduling early season games against lesser opponents. How dare the U do something that every single Power 6 team does.

You avoided an Aiken mistake there, and had stated it in a very Cliff Claven-esque fashion -- USC Upstate Spartans of Spartanburg
That’s why always check facts first! I swear I heard that about USC-Upstate somewhere.

I know right, the horror of scheduling early season games against lesser opponents. How dare the U do something that every single Power 6 team does.
It’s not the “do”, it’s the “how many”. As long as it’s no more than 5 cupcakes not a big deal. Still plenty of room for decent opponents on the unknown portion of the schedule.

You know darn well that they traded out of the Continental Tire tourney to do this. This is a disingenuous dig.

We either backed out or were kicked out of a tournament that was filled with other good teams in favor of one filled with cupcakes.

Either way it’s an obvious indictment of how terrible this roster is currently.

But but but but.

Backing out of a tournament with some quality opponents.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😢😢😢😢😢😢😡

Are you on the U's payroll or something? Yes, every other school does it. Let me know when a school willingly pulls out of an event with other good/great programs to schedule shit. Pretty obvious they pulled out of the event and immediately has this lined up. This is fucking pathetic. Newsflash, the rest of the schedule is going to be shit. I hope we can fill it with 11 D1 teams.

Are you on the U's payroll or something? Yes, every other school does it. Let me know when a school willingly pulls out of an event with other good/great programs to schedule shit. Pretty obvious they pulled out of the event and immediately has this lined up. This is fucking pathetic. Newsflash, the rest of the schedule is going to be shit. I hope we can fill it with 11 D1 teams.
Mnvcguy/Johnny has to be a u employee.
Has
To
Be

I think you can count 1 game against DII if it's part of a "multi-team event". Hello Concordia St. Paul.

So, last year USC Upstate played Duke, Clemson, Air Force, South Carolina and Florida St in the non conference. Gophers played DePaul, UNLV, Virginia Tech, and Miss St.
Their 5 are tougher than our 4 and both teams lost them all. They are in a conference with teams like High Point. We are in a conference with teams like Purdue and Michigan St.
Our philosophy is to throttle down and hopefully sneak out a win against teams somebody has heard of in a down year for our opponents vs theirs is let's get better....play competition from elite conferences and challenge ourselves.

So, last year USC Upstate played Duke, Clemson, Air Force, South Carolina and Florida St in the non conference. Gophers played DePaul, UNLV, Virginia Tech, and Miss St.
Their 5 are tougher than our 4 and both teams lost them all. They are in a conference with teams like High Point. We are in a conference with teams like Purdue and Michigan St.
Our philosophy is to throttle down and hopefully sneak out a win against teams somebody has heard of in a down year for our opponents vs theirs is let's get better....play competition from elite conferences and challenge ourselves.
Actually, their strategy is to get as many guaranteed pay games as possible to help fund their program. They averaged 522 attendance per game last year at home. They made many times more in those 5 games than they did on their home attendance for the year.

Actually, their strategy is to get as many guaranteed pay games as possible to help fund their program. They averaged 522 attendance per game last year at home. They made many times more in those 5 games than they did on their home attendance for the year.
I get that and maybe it is just for the money but the team is forced to get better playing superior competition is my point. I know there are all kinds of scheduling theories and strategies to get selected at the end of the season because you played quality opponents vs you scheduled nobody but went undefeated. I get that...but you just get bad habits playing bad teams. You play poorly, you play hard for only three minutes but you win. You are fooling yourself. You learn nothing about your team prior to the quality conference teams.
Contrast Michigan State's philosophy...last year:
Gonzaga,
Kentucky
Villanova
Alabama
Oregon
Portland
Notre Dame
7 tough games to learn what you got, what you gotta fix, who you can count on, etc etc
That schedule accelerates growth. Those kids are out of their comfort zone. They are forced to prepare and step up. 5 neutral site games, 1 home, 1 away also tournament prep.
That's all I'm saying...I don't like the let's hide and hope fans don't realize that we played nobody when we are 10 and 2 before we finish last in the conference because we have zero foundation to draw from going forward. We are built on sand.

Last edited:

Every team schedules cupcakes. Every team doesn't bail out of a preseason tournament at the last minute to schedule even MORE cupcakes.
Speaking of cupcakes, Howdy. I hope you are well tonight. Gopher basketball will be competitive this year. Smile buddy. It isn’t this bad.

I get that and maybe it is just for the money but the team is forced to get better playing superior competition is my point. I know there are all kinds of scheduling theories and strategies to get selected at the end of the season because you played quality opponents vs you scheduled nobody but went undefeated. I get that...but you just get bad habits playing bad teams. You play poorly, you play hard for only three minutes but you win. You are fooling yourself. You learn nothing about your team prior to the quality conference teams.
Gonzaga,
Kentucky
Villanova
Alabama
Oregon
Portland
Notre Dame
7 tough games to learn what you got, what you gotta fix, who you can count on, etc etc
That schedule accelerates growth. Those kids are out of their comfort zone. They are forced to prepare and step up. 5 neutral site games, 1 home, 1 away also tournament prep.
That's all I'm saying...I don't like the let's hide and hope fans don't realize that we played nobody when we are 10 and 2 before we finish last in the conference because we have zero foundation to draw from going forward. We are built on sand.
MSU is an established Blue Blood. We are a team that is digging out of a big hole. Terrible comparison and really bad strategy.

Gonzaga,
Kentucky
Villanova
Alabama
Oregon
Portland
Notre Dame
I am for that. I was just explain why Upstate does what it does- it ain't to get better. If you are going to play the MSU schedule you better have a solid program with talent. I hope we get better and better talent and also play better and better non conference schedules. I think you have to scale the two things up together.

I am for that. I was just explain why Upstate does what it does- it ain't to get better. If you are going to play the MSU schedule you better have a solid program with talent. I hope we get better and better talent and also play better and better non conference schedules. I think you have to scale the two things up together.
We are 3 years in...that isn't happening. I think better players want to come if they know you have high aspirations and believe you are going to be good because the coach's actions won't tolerate anything less. We show the opposite.
I promise, players accelerate their development when they are forced to. They work their tails off in the off season to get to the opponents level. We opened with St Olaf and dang near lost.
I agree you don't start with the Michigan St schedule but you don't cancel the Vegas games...you do play at least somebody else you can't beat on paper in anybody's mind but your own as the coach. You get to pick your opponents...we can't defend a power post player, I'm not scheduling a team that has that strength, we can't handle water bug guards, I'm not scheduling them etc
But we can play with teams who play like Wisconsin or San Diego St at a more controlled tempo with solid but not spectacular athletes....pick some teams who are perennially good you feel like you could scheme against.
I agree you scale it up but it'll never scale up playing bad teams...you gotta be willing to give your kids a challenge and you'll probably lose in year one but you'll get better.
And it's gotta be fun...who doesn't want to go to Vegas?

I agree on the money 100% but by product is they got better.
They lost to Duke by 46, then Clemson by 11, then air Force in the altitude by 27,
then at So Carolina....gotta be a big deal by 15 and Florida St by 17.
All the road like you are saying...forcing them to get better, be focussed or get embarrassed.
Forcing them to get better....so in a 10 team league they finished 4th.
I'm saying those games made them better....they don't play those games I bet they are at the bottom of the league.

We went 93-99 without a win. Now that’s a hole!
Even if you gave Clem Haskins an 0-18 record in Big 10 conference from 1993-1999, his career Big 10 record would be 50-184 (.214).

Ben Johnson's career Big 10 record is 6-33 (.153).

As scary as it sounds, this hole is much deeper.

First 2 years and he wasn’t left crap for players. In Fleckspeak this would be year zero.

Top Bottom