Ben Johnson is a Disaster

I'm fairly certain he guaranteed we would not finish in last place for the upcoming season in his opening press conference after being hired.
Maybe he just meant we wouldn't have sole possession of last place. We had to share that dubious honor with someone else in year 1, right? Before we found our footing and won it outright in year 2?

It's easy to read something into nothing, and there's almost certainly nothing afoot. That said, if there were a conversation going on between the coach and AD something along the lines of the convo that had probably been going on between Coyle and Whalen as to whether to continue to fish or to cut bait...it would probably "sound" something like this.
Continuing with conspiracy questions...if you are the AD and you were told to hire Ben by the outgoing President...how likely is it that you go, "this is bad! screw it! I'm making a change before the unknown new president handcuffs me again." at the least it would require some regent conspiracy partners I'm guessing? or Christie hitting the portal...deadline May 11th

Last edited:

Continuing with conspiracy questions...if you are the AD and you were told to hire Ben by the outgoing President...how likely is it that you go, "this is bad! screw it! I'm making a change before the unknown new president handcuffs me again." at the least it would require some regent conspiracy partners I'm guessing? or Christie hitting the portal...deadline May 11th

Maybe he just meant we wouldn't have sole possession of last place. We had to share that dubious honor with someone else in year 1, right? Before we found our footing and won it outright in year 2?
Pretty we lost the tie breaker on that one. 14th seed in B1G tourney = last place.

1993-2000 Twins vibes.
This is actually a good example. That was the steroid era of baseball and we were either awful at taking steroids or the only team not taking them. We didn't have a 30 HR hitter during this stretch, most of the seasons our leading HR hitter had under 20 (couple years under 15). So we either weren't juicing or the worst team in the history of sports at juicing. I'm not sure which is more likely.

Kind of reminds me with how we're attacking the NIL issues.

This is actually a good example. That was the steroid era of baseball and we were either awful at taking steroids or the only team not taking them. We didn't have a 30 HR hitter during this stretch, most of the seasons our leading HR hitter had under 20 (couple years under 15). So we either weren't juicing or the worst team in the history of sports at juicing. I'm not sure which is more likely.

Kind of reminds me with how we're attacking the NIL issues.
These were the days. Buy a left-field general admission ticket for a couple of bucks, get there a few hours early for a front-row seat to BP/the game, and marvel at that Denny Hocking "baggy" power.

The gale-force winds were a nice touch when exiting the dome after another Twins "L." Take me back!

These were the days. Buy a left-field general admission ticket for a couple of bucks, get there a few hours early for a front-row seat to BP/the game, and marvel at that Denny Hocking "baggy" power.

The gale-force winds were a nice touch when exiting the dome after another Twins "L." Take me back!
Getting off-topic a bit but I was at the 2001 scheduled doubleheader at the metrodome against the A's. It was some weird scheduling conflict. We were in the left field bleachers for both games, they both went extra innings so we were there for about 10 hours straight. Had an amazing time.

Ha. This perfectly sums up that era.

Will we be underdogs against either them or Ball State? 50/50.

Honestly, I can see us being underdogs against Ball State. It appears that return their top 2 scorers(3 of 6) and are bringing in a guy that avg 10 ppg at LMU(19-12), bringing in a guy that avg 9 ppg at Boston and someone from Community College that shot 42% on 3's. They probably have a better backcourt right now if I'm being honest. They lost their starting C to IU fortunately, or we'd be in even more trouble.

What are we even doing anymore? Just fire Ben now and let an assistant coach next year and have a year long coaching search.

This pathetic charade needs to end.
Maybe if we had an assistant on staff who had ever been a division 1 head coach. But we don't.

Every possible win counts when your coaching career is dangling by a thread. Why subject yourself to certain humiliation at the hands of Brian Dutcher and San Diego State when something called USC Upstate exists? It’s the Bishop Sycamore of college basketball.

Top Bottom