Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Ben couldn’t get hired by Montana St, which is the main issue. Not these pathetic NIL excuses.

If Fleck was having an issue getting and keeping the players he wanted, maybe you would have a point.
The reason Ben Johnson was hired is the same reason why some people will go to their graves defending him as a coach.

We lost recruiting battles this last week to Loyala-Chicago and Utah State.

Those folks supported the reason why Ben was hired, even though they will be insulted if you ever mention that reason and therefore will continue to defend this disaster at every turn.

The reality that the CBJ is a disaster crowd rarely discusses is that Johnson was hired as NIL was becoming the recruiting engine of college sports. Unfortunately, Coyle and his team are still driving a go-kart. Before Johnson was hired he had a good to very good track record as a recruiter, particularly locally. He wasn't an outstanding recruiter but he had developed a strong network of relationships locally. That was something Pitino neglected while chased the Jelly Fams of the world.

Fast forward a couple of years and CBJ, formerly a solid recruiter, can't beat out Montana St. for players in the transfer portal. Why? We have pennies to offer. Other schools, possibly even Montana St., have dollars. Regardless of the coach, it's not going to change until Coyle gets serious NIL money in the door.

Follow the money. That's what the players are doing.
NIL is an issue but we're not losing recruits to St Bonaventure, Austin Peay and Utah State over NIL. Come on.

The reason Ben Johnson was hired is the same reason why some people will go to their graves defending him as a coach.

Those folks supported the reason why Ben was hired, even though they will be insulted if you ever mention that reason and therefore will continue to defend this disaster at every turn.
I remember you saying you're a season ticket holder, are you renewing this year?

I remember you saying you're a season ticket holder, are you renewing this year?
I was not a season ticket this year, I haven't lived full time in MN for 10 years.

I used to keep my season tickets for basketball up until a couple of years ago because I didn't have kids and I travelled a lot for work, so I'd fly back for games and stuff quite regularly.

If I lived in the cities, I'd honestly probably renew but don't put much stock into that, I kept my Timberwolves' season tickets through the Rambis years.

Another post about this fictional group supporting Johnson at all costs Where are these people hiding? Because they sure aren’t posting here.

Most support I have seen is from those of us wanting to let the roster get finalized and the team actually take the court before declaring the season as lost.

Another post about this fictional group supporting Johnson at all costs Where are these people hiding? Because they sure aren’t posting here.

Most support I have seen is from those of us wanting to let the roster get finalized and the team actually take the court before declaring the season as lost.
Beautifully crafted political statement! If we win you can say you knew it the whole time and the haters were wrong. If we are terrible you can say hey I knew Ben was bad and I never expected to win 🤛🙌👏

Beautifully crafted political statement! If we win you can say you knew it the whole time and the haters were wrong. If we are terrible you can say hey I knew Ben was bad and I never expected to win 🤛🙌👏
I think the term is "intellectually dishonest."

Lol....good lord some of you have such a toxic way of looking at everything.

You mix the disaster that is Ben along with the buyout and Mark Coyle should be gone. We are talking one of the single biggest disasters in modern Minnesota sports.
I might agree with this except for two things:
1) Coyle has done a nice job on football. To keep fleck and Rossi this long (and bring them in). Coyle has also done a nice job on men’s hockey. Coyle has been good on 2/3 sports that matter.

2) we still have no idea who was pulling the strings to bring in Johnson or why

I might agree with this except for two things:
1) Coyle has done a nice job on football. To keep fleck and Rossi this long (and bring them in). Coyle has also done a nice job on men’s hockey. Coyle has been good on 2/3 sports that matter.

2) we still have no idea who was pulling the strings to bring in Johnson or why
While they obviously matter significantly less, I also think he made a solid hire with volleyball (around 4-5k fans per game) and has made the correct decision in women's basketball (not sure what they average these days).

(Though apparently the actual execution of the Whalen firing came as a shock/surprise to her and was done poorly?)

While they obviously matter significantly less, I also think he made a solid hire with volleyball (around 4-5k fans per game) and has made the correct decision in women's basketball (not sure what they average these days).

(Though apparently the actual execution of the Whalen firing came as a shock/surprise to her and was done poorly?)
The poor execution is just a standard side effect whenever you combine Mark Coyle and a microphone.

In less than 5 years Johnson will have us in the Final Four with Minnesota kids. Book it because you don’t know how to coach it.
I do love your...let's call it optimism, but I have to ask: what is that prediction based on?

NIL is an issue but we're not losing recruits to St Bonaventure, Austin Peay and Utah State over NIL. Come on.
Your point seems obvious but it's not. I googled "Austin Peay NIL" and found that the company that carries the naming rights to its stadium is funding its NIL program. Is Huntington Bank or 3M (Mariucci) dropping NIL money at the U? The U is so far behind that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Austin outbid the U for whichever recruit selected its program.

I didn't check the other schools.

Top Bottom