Ben Johnson is a Disaster

I don't think Coyle fires him. I think he's going to be patient here one more year.

But if he does make a move, he only should do so if he has a better replacement lined up.
This! It should be a bang- bang move if one is made and it has to be one that makes the town excited. Otherwise, give him one more year to work with the guys he has recruited and can get in the portal.

This! It should be a bang- bang move if one is made and it has to be one that makes the town excited. Otherwise, give him one more year to work with the guys he has recruited and can get in the portal.
Yeah, only way Coyle could make a move right now was if he had a sure fire, can't miss type of coach lined up and that seems unlikely to be the case.

Ben will get at least 1 more year to get this figured out. Has to nail it this off season with transfers.

Yeah, only way Coyle could make a move right now was if he had a sure fire, can't miss type of coach lined up and that seems unlikely to be the case.

Ben will get at least 1 more year to get this figured out. Has to nail it this off season with transfers.
I know a lot of people will hate this but...man it would be great to see Ben succeed here. He got put in a tough situation, considering his experience and I would love to see him make us all wrong. If he did break through, I think the success would be durable. Odds are long, but that's what I am hoping for right now.

I know a lot of people will hate this but...man it would be great to see Ben succeed here. He got put in a tough situation, considering his experience and I would love to see him make us all wrong. If he did break through, I think the success would be durable. Odds are long, but that's what I am hoping for right now.
i dont think anybody would hate this.......i so bad want Ben to succeed here.....
he has been a disaster so far.....but all signs point to him being around next year....so give me something next year! prove me something! get this team to 15 wins.....hit on some portal guys...build on the 2024 class with Asuma.....

we all want success here.....i frankly could give a sh!t who the coach is that can make that happen

I've thought about this sort of idea on multiple occasions. What if we had a losers' postseason tournament? I guess the biggest obstacle to ever holding a tournament like this would be that none of the participants would want to risk being an immediate loser in this contest.

There were people that hated the Fleck hire.....couldn't stand him and complained about him all the time. There are still a few of those around but for the most part the Fleck bashers have faded out because he has had a good deal of success.

The same will happen for Johnson if he is able to turn things around. In the end, even those that are the most vocal in their dislike of the Johnson hire will be ok with the hire IF the team starts having success.

This is a good post. Easy to get carried away in moving on discussion.

Ben is going to get this coming year, so it would be great to see him get talent this offseason and see what happens. Be competitive.

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. Will I still complain? Yes.

Last edited:

There were people that hated the Fleck hire.....couldn't stand him and complained about him all the time. There are still a few of those around but for the most part the Fleck bashers have faded out because he has had a good deal of success.

The same will happen for Johnson if he is able to turn things around. In the end, even those that are the most vocal in their dislike of the Johnson hire will be ok with the hire IF the team starts having success.
Fleck delivered the best season in the last 30 years and still has haters on this forum? Can't please them all I guess. If Ben makes a sweet 16 he might get a statue lol

Fleck delivered the best season in the last 30 years and still has haters on this forum? Can't please them all I guess. If Ben makes a sweet 16 he might get a statue lol
lol....there are some that just don't like Fleck's style or were obsessed with Kill so will never like Fleck. But that crowd has gotten very small and much quieter.

Don't seem to be many that don't like Johnson the person. So if he makes it work I don't think it will be tough for him to win people over.

Ben already has this team playing to the level of the 2nd best D1 program in the State!

Just imagine what he can do with a little more time…

Ben already has this team playing to the level of the 2nd best D1 program in the State!

Just imagine what he can do with a little more time…
I forgot, Fleck still has the unfair advantage of having the only D1 football program in state : )

I don't get the impression that there are that many people who don't like Ben Johnson. Fleck has a unique style, and lots of people really don't like it (I'm not a huge fan) but, as you note, once you start winning, complaints about him either vanish or start to look silly. I can't recall many comments at all about people who really don't like Ben's personality. People don't like his resume (which they blame Coyle for hiring) or his results. If he wins at the level PJ does, I bet he will be even more popular here than PJ is.

I would also love to know how he did from the line in high school. He doesn't look super uncomfortable from the line he just has to find a way to be a little more consistent.

As it stands right now if we hit a point where we are actually leading late in games he won't be able to be on the court because teams will do everything possible to hack him and put him on the line.
I mean, tbh, him splitting a pair from the line (provided we're in the bonus+) actually scored at a higher rate than we did per possession this season (we were 337th at 0.925 points/possession)

Well, assuming we win at Nebraska then we would be 3-17 in Conference.
3-17 is dead last (14th) place in the conference.
Looking at this year's standings:
It would take 2 to 3 more wins to reach 13th place.
It would take 6 more wins to reach 12th place. (9-12)
It would take 7 more wins to reach 11th place. (10-12)

Your argument doesn't move us more than two places from the cratered bottom of the conference. That is not good enough, period. Time is of the essence because this is about the program's recent track record, not one coach's record. Ben is living in a hole that was started by previous coaches. He is not filling it in. He is digging deeper.

We can't rely on other programs to get worse, even if you do the the upside to any change is +2 places in Conference. That doesn't get us out of the bottom half of the conference.

So, your plan doesn't improve the optics of Gophers MBB in the eyes of recruits. It also guarantees a worse 4th year as the program doesn't appear to break out of the basement. This makes it even harder to recruit from HS or the TP.

All signs point to either firing Ben now or becoming a nationwide laughingstock for another decade.
Realize that the 12th seed is an NCAA bubble team. It's a big jump for a young team, but that's improvement nonetheless.

I would also love to know how he did from the line in high school. He doesn't look super uncomfortable from the line he just has to find a way to be a little more consistent.

As it stands right now if we hit a point where we are actually leading late in games he won't be able to be on the court because teams will do everything possible to hack him and put him on the line.
Another reason he may not be in at the end of the game is that he's already fouled out. He was at a rate of over 5 fouls per 40 minutes in conference play. I'm not sure how to coach physically aggressive players how to keep that mentality while also not fouling, but that needs to happen if he's going to play 30 minutes per game.

Another reason he may not be in at the end of the game is that he's already fouled out. He was at a rate of over 5 fouls per 40 minutes in conference play. I'm not sure how to coach physically aggressive players how to keep that mentality while also not fouling, but that needs to happen if he's going to play 30 minutes per game.
He made two foolish fouls going after guys from behind. Those are ones he needs to not make. Mix it up get physical but don't get caught reaching like that on a play that is already over.

Top Bottom