Ben Johnson gives Gophers basketball update on Instagram

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

He answered a variety of questions for about 25 minutes on Instagram Live. Here’s a sampling of what he answered:

WHO IS STANDING OUT IN SUMMER WORKOUTS?

Ben Johnson said all of his players are doing a great job, but mentioned three specifically. Freshman Treyton Thompson, junior college transfer Abdoulaye Thiam and transfer Jamison Battle. Thompson, a 4-star recruit from Alexandria, averaged 4.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his last season at La Lumiere prep school. Thiam averaged 15 points per game and shot 48.6 percent from the perimeter at Indian River State College. Battle transferred from George Washington, where he scored more than 17 points per game last season. Johnson called him currently probably the best shooter on the Gophers.

HOW IS RECRUITING GOING? WILL YOU ADD MORE TO THE ROSTER?

Johnson said recruiting is a daily process, whether it’s trying to finalize the 2021 roster or stay in contact with 2022 recruits. He’s busy this weekend watching top targets from the Class of 2022 at various AAU tournaments.He can’t talk about specific recruits, as it would be an NCAA violation.

Johnson did say he could add one or two more players to this year’s roster, but it has to be the right fit as he likes the chemistry the current team has. We now know Steffon Mitchell and Sterling Manley won’t be coming to the Gophers. Both were linked to Minnesota, and both have decided to turn professional. Thompson is currently the only center on the Gophers’ roster.

WHO IS YOUR STARTING 5?

Johnson said he can’t name a starting five at this point. That’s not a bad thing, with the season four months away and still needing to mesh so many new faces. If one had to project a guess, it would likely be Payton Willis, Jamison Battle, Isaiah Ihnen, Abdoulaye Thia and Treyton Thompson.

"I’m just glad all our guys are here, loving to be in the gym, loving to get better, competing. That’s been the coolest thing for me is everybody has been bought in," Johnson said.

PICK ONE WORD YOU WOULD WANT TO DESCRIBE YOUR TEAM?

Johnson said it would be competitive. He wants his players to play at a high level consistently, and understand what it means to compete for Big Ten championships.

"If you’re competitive, you’re a lot of things. I think you’re a fighter, I think you’re gritty, tough, smart. Competitive would be the word," Johnson said.

WHO HAS THE BEST HANDLES ON THE TEAM?

Johnson said he hopes it’s a combination of Payton Willis and Luke Loewe. That gives an indication of the guard rotation this season. Willis is a favorite to be the starting point guard, and Loewe, a transfer from William & Mary, could be one of the first guards off the bench. He shot 35 percent from the perimeter and averaged 3.2 assists last season.

ARE YOU READY FOR WILLIAMS ARENA AT FULL FAN CAPACITY?

Johnson wants nothing more than full fan capacity when the basketball season starts in November. There were no fans at Williams Arena, other than family, at games last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The University of Minnesota is prepared to have fans at full capacity for events, starting with fall sports. Johnson, who played for the Gophers, is more than ready.

"One hundred percent. They’re ready, I’m ready. I think everybody is ready to be back. There’s nothing like competing and playing in front of all our fans in a sold out arena, sold out Barn. Definitely looking forward to that," Johnson said.

The next step for Johnson and the Gophers other than finishing summer workouts? Announcing an official 2021-22 schedule.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the update.

But....one word to describe your team and it's not....gritty?

Also mentioned changing the uniforms. Mentioned changing the white color, and changing the black uniforms and potentially a throwback uniform.

Thiam starting would be quite a surprise.

If we get a team that can actually compete and make some noise I will be extremely proud and happy. On paper we look like we are in massive trouble but if they are decent my confidence in the program will go way up. I hope we kill it and become the surprise squad of the Big Ten.

per Fox 9:

He answered a variety of questions for about 25 minutes on Instagram Live. Here’s a sampling of what he answered:

WHO IS STANDING OUT IN SUMMER WORKOUTS?

Ben Johnson said all of his players are doing a great job, but mentioned three specifically. Freshman Treyton Thompson, junior college transfer Abdoulaye Thiam and transfer Jamison Battle. Thompson, a 4-star recruit from Alexandria, averaged 4.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his last season at La Lumiere prep school. Thiam averaged 15 points per game and shot 48.6 percent from the perimeter at Indian River State College. Battle transferred from George Washington, where he scored more than 17 points per game last season. Johnson called him currently probably the best shooter on the Gophers.

HOW IS RECRUITING GOING? WILL YOU ADD MORE TO THE ROSTER?

Johnson said recruiting is a daily process, whether it’s trying to finalize the 2021 roster or stay in contact with 2022 recruits. He’s busy this weekend watching top targets from the Class of 2022 at various AAU tournaments.He can’t talk about specific recruits, as it would be an NCAA violation.

Johnson did say he could add one or two more players to this year’s roster, but it has to be the right fit as he likes the chemistry the current team has. We now know Steffon Mitchell and Sterling Manley won’t be coming to the Gophers. Both were linked to Minnesota, and both have decided to turn professional. Thompson is currently the only center on the Gophers’ roster.

WHO IS YOUR STARTING 5?

Johnson said he can’t name a starting five at this point. That’s not a bad thing, with the season four months away and still needing to mesh so many new faces. If one had to project a guess, it would likely be Payton Willis, Jamison Battle, Isaiah Ihnen, Abdoulaye Thia and Treyton Thompson.

"I’m just glad all our guys are here, loving to be in the gym, loving to get better, competing. That’s been the coolest thing for me is everybody has been bought in," Johnson said.

PICK ONE WORD YOU WOULD WANT TO DESCRIBE YOUR TEAM?

Johnson said it would be competitive. He wants his players to play at a high level consistently, and understand what it means to compete for Big Ten championships.

"If you’re competitive, you’re a lot of things. I think you’re a fighter, I think you’re gritty, tough, smart. Competitive would be the word," Johnson said.

WHO HAS THE BEST HANDLES ON THE TEAM?

Johnson said he hopes it’s a combination of Payton Willis and Luke Loewe. That gives an indication of the guard rotation this season. Willis is a favorite to be the starting point guard, and Loewe, a transfer from William & Mary, could be one of the first guards off the bench. He shot 35 percent from the perimeter and averaged 3.2 assists last season.

ARE YOU READY FOR WILLIAMS ARENA AT FULL FAN CAPACITY?

Johnson wants nothing more than full fan capacity when the basketball season starts in November. There were no fans at Williams Arena, other than family, at games last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The University of Minnesota is prepared to have fans at full capacity for events, starting with fall sports. Johnson, who played for the Gophers, is more than ready.

"One hundred percent. They’re ready, I’m ready. I think everybody is ready to be back. There’s nothing like competing and playing in front of all our fans in a sold out arena, sold out Barn. Definitely looking forward to that," Johnson said.

The next step for Johnson and the Gophers other than finishing summer workouts? Announcing an official 2021-22 schedule.

Go Gophers!!
That's good news. I like that he feels 4 of the 5 starters are guys that have at least another year after this one. It is one thing to be bad. It is a whole lot worse if you are bad and old at the same time. Really glad that he thinks Thompson is ready to play. Good report.

Boy, starting a true FR at C in the B1G would make me nervous. for that sake, I still hope they can find a serviceable post player for the upcoming season - a big body that can go inside and bang. Doesn't have to be a scorer - just a physical presence inside.

But, if it turns out to be Thompson, that means the entire team has to help out with rebounding and blocking out.

If we get a team that can actually compete and make some noise I will be extremely proud and happy. On paper we look like we are in massive trouble but if they are decent my confidence in the program will go way up. I hope we kill it and become the surprise squad of the Big Ten.

If this roster is "competitive", meaning they don't get blown out and keep games close (3 possessions or less), the season is a win and Johnson can coach. NOT, they played tough but lose by 10+ points per game, that's not competitive.

That's good news. I like that he feels 4 of the 5 starters are guys that have at least another year after this one. It is one thing to be bad. It is a whole lot worse if you are bad and old at the same time. Really glad that he thinks Thompson is ready to play. Good report.
Johnson didn't say this, the author did his best guess of what it would be.

Boy, starting a true FR at C in the B1G would make me nervous. for that sake, I still hope they can find a serviceable post player for the upcoming season - a big body that can go inside and bang. Doesn't have to be a scorer - just a physical presence inside.

But, if it turns out to be Thompson, that means the entire team has to help out with rebounding and blocking out.
No reason to be nervous about this season. We are going to be bad. I view it as an interesting year to see how Ben can develop kids and get them better and a year to watch recruiting for the future. That's it.

If they’re competitive and get better through the season. All I reasonably hope for

Let's see the Gopher put together a winning streak towards the end of the season. We will know then that coaches and players alike are dialed into their system.

It's a nice report. Thanks for posting.

1. How is someone who averages 4 & 4 at a prep school a 4 star?
2. It will be quite a while before BJ experiences a sold out Barn as a head coach.

It's a nice report. Thanks for posting.

1. How is someone who averages 4 & 4 at a prep school a 4 star?
2. It will be quite a while before BJ experiences a sold out Barn as a head coach.
We will see. A scrappy, hard working and entertaining team will draw fans.

This is yet ANOTHER thread derailed by unnecessary negativity. I am giving up on suggesting the use of even the slightest modicum of patience and perspective to these 'fans.' I know that message boards are notoriously filled with negativity but this need to repeatedly harp and complain about an unfinished product makes me embarrassed to have many of you as Gopher 'fans.'

Fans unite for a common cause- their team. That doesn't mean that fans can't complain... they do so and should because they care about their team. But the amount of negativity pouring into EVERY thread from the same posters on a daily basis suggests that these 'fans' take a perverse sense of glee in even the most minimal set back or misstep.

In EVERY thread, I am told that this team is a disaster before they've even set foot on the court together in competition. In EVERY thread, I learn that this new coach will lose every recruiting battle because he is too laid back, doesn't look professional, and apparently has the charisma of a walnut... all before the 2022 recruiting cycle has really started cooking. You people would complain about a work of art before the artist had even roughed in the outlines.

I hope that you 'fans' are NOT a true indication of the overall fan base. You do not deserve to be rewarded when this team does better than expected. I can't root against the Gophers but I almost hope that you get exactly what you deserve... the disaster that I repeatedly am told about.

This is yet ANOTHER thread derailed by unnecessary negativity. I am giving up on suggesting the use of even the slightest modicum of patience and perspective to these 'fans.' I know that message boards are notoriously filled with negativity but this need to repeatedly harp and complain about an unfinished product makes me embarrassed to have many of you as Gopher 'fans.'

Fans unite for a common cause- their team. That doesn't mean that fans can't complain... they do so and should because they care about their team. But the amount of negativity pouring into EVERY thread from the same posters on a daily basis suggests that these 'fans' take a perverse sense of glee in even the most minimal set back or misstep.

In EVERY thread, I am told that this team is a disaster before they've even set foot on the court together in competition. In EVERY thread, I learn that this new coach will lose every recruiting battle because he is too laid back, doesn't look professional, and apparently has the charisma of a walnut... all before the 2022 recruiting cycle has really started cooking. You people would complain about a work of art before the artist had even roughed in the outlines.

I hope that you 'fans' are NOT a true indication of the overall fan base. You do not deserve to be rewarded when this team does better than expected. I can't root against the Gophers but I almost hope that you get exactly what you deserve... the disaster that I repeatedly am told about.

ecoperson, this thread has absolutely not been "derailed by unnecessary negativity" in fact most of the responses are positive and cautiously optimistic. Outside of one or two small pot shots, this is a positive thread. Unfortunately you chose to write FOUR PARAGRAPHS of negativity instead of adding into the positive commentary in this thread.

Let's unite, not divide. In the words of PJ Fleck, "change your best."

Go Gophers!!

"In EVERY thread, I am told that this team is a disaster before they've even set foot on the court together in competition. In EVERY thread, I learn that this new coach will lose every recruiting battle because he is too laid back, doesn't look professional, and apparently has the charisma of a walnut.."

Well, then, you should be used to it, or even numb to it, by now.

"I hope that you 'fans' are NOT a true indication of the overall fan base. You do not deserve to be rewarded when this team does better than expected. I can't root against the Gophers but I almost hope that you get exactly what you deserve... the disaster that I repeatedly am told about."

Oh, for Christ sakes, get a life! I'm frankly amazed how some of you can get so wound up over what some yo-yos say on a message board. You think you'd know by now that if you're looking for thoughtful and reserved commentary, you shouldn't expect an abundance of that on a sports fan message board. Get a subscription to The Atlantic or The Economist.

ecoperson, this thread has absolutely not been "derailed by unnecessary negativity" in fact most of the responses are positive and cautiously optimistic. Outside of one or two small pot shots, this is a positive thread. Unfortunately you chose to write FOUR PARAGRAPHS of negativity instead of adding into the positive commentary in this thread.

Go Gophers!!
Bleed- I agree that this thread is not the most egregious example of derailing but the negative little jabs somehow found their way here within short order- to what should have been an innocuous thread with much needed updates on the program. I am afraid that it was the straw that broke the camels back so I snapped back.

I have the utmost respect for you having been on this board and valued your contributions since nearly the GopherHole's inception and am sorry that you feel that my words are as negative as those of the many posters that are actively finding and posting about the negative in every morsel of information that comes out.

I have tried to be diplomatic over the last 4 months as I have in all of my posts over my 20+ years on the GopherHole. I have never resorted to name-calling or denigration. In the past, I have tried to offer a positive perspective during times of great uncertainty (coaching changes, sanctions, scandals, etc.) in an effort to help the fans of the U of M to unite, as you suggest, to achieve our goals of a successful basketball program. I see that my more recent posts have taken on a frustrated tone that is not helpful to the overall conversation.

Thank you for pointing out that my posts have become negative and divisive in their own right. I am certain that there are others here who must feel the same and I apologize to you all. I certainly don't want to add any negativity so will refrain from future posts and return to merely following the recruiting news and game analysis that I most value about this site. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Bleed- I agree that this thread is not the most egregious example of derailing but the negative little jabs somehow found their way here within short order- to what should have been an innocuous thread with much needed updates on the program. I am afraid that it was the straw that broke the camels back so I snapped back.

I have the utmost respect for you having been on this board and valued your contributions since nearly the GopherHole's inception and am sorry that you feel that my words are as negative as those of the many posters that are actively finding and posting about the negative in every morsel of information that comes out.

I have tried to be diplomatic over the last 4 months as I have in all of my posts over my 20+ years on the GopherHole. I have never resorted to name-calling or denigration. In the past, I have tried to offer a positive perspective during times of great uncertainty (coaching changes, sanctions, scandals, etc.) in an effort to help the fans of the U of M to unite, as you suggest, to achieve our goals of a successful basketball program. I see that my more recent posts have taken on a frustrated tone that is not helpful to the overall conversation.

Thank you for pointing out that my posts have become negative and divisive in their own right. I am certain that there are others here who must feel the same and I apologize to you all. I certainly don't want to add any negativity so will refrain from future posts and return to merely following the recruiting news and game analysis that I most value about this site. Go Gophers!

No reason to apologize or dwell, but there are some good nuggets in the original link, would love to hear your thoughts about what Johnson said. There are good nuggets in there and some cautious optimism. Hope springs eternal and having an impact freshman like Treyton is a good thing for the program.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
I think it was just a knee jerk reaction to "the same old stuff". I have been know to do it far too many times myself. You feel like you hear a constant drum beat of the same stuff and then a little comment in another thread just "sets you off" with pent up frustrations. I think many of us agree, it is best to try and keep it positive.

Indifference is far worse than "negativity".
It is getting more difficult to get butts in the seats at the Barn and fears about how his team will do may well lead to the students,particularly, finding other things to do.

So
Indifference is far worse than "negativity".
It is getting more difficult to get butts in the seats at the Barn and fears about how his team will do may well lead to the students,particularly, finding other things to do.
So, worst case scenario, things stay the same?

The test of a coach is not coaching the talented but coaching the ones with "potential". By the end of the year we will have a better understanding of BJ's coaching ability.

Top Bottom