Ben Brust has a meltdown about the state of Badger Football

Wondering how much fun Brust is going to have covering "that sorry ass school" when he has to discuss Illinois basketball. I'm sure the Illinois faithful won't mind at all. LOL.

Wondering how much fun Brust is going to have covering "that sorry ass school" when he has to discuss Illinois basketball. I'm sure the Illinois faithful won't mind at all. LOL.
I don't think he works for BTN anymore. At least I saw that in one of the comments somewhere.

I think that’s what his frustration really is (despite just turning into a “we suck” rant). Wisconsin has seen the talent gap between them and the top tier of teams year after year against Ohio State in the CCG, and fans are getting frustrated that the team seems content to just stick with their old formula of targeting 3* recruits and coaching them up. They’ve had one really good quarterback in that entire span, despite having really good players everywhere else. Yeah, that’s given them consistent winning football for a couple of decades now, but they’re at their ceiling at 8-10 win seasons unless they change something. A lot of fanbases would be thrilled by that, but at some point you either make the next step or resign yourself to “pretty good” forever.
Having consistent 8-10 win seasons is where I’m hoping the gophers can get to. Looking like we’re heading in that direction

Having consistent 8-10 win seasons is where I’m hoping the gophers can get to. Looking like we’re heading in that direction
5 of the last ten have 8 wins or more assuming this season hits that mark. I'll give a mulligan for the Covid year since 8 wins was unattainable and PJs first year I will also ignore due to the transition. So really, 5 of the last 8 "normal" seasons have been 8 wins or more. 8 of the last 10 non-Covid seasons have seen bowl berths also. We are in good shape and headed in the right direction.

5 of the last ten have 8 wins or more assuming this season hits that mark. I'll give a mulligan for the Covid year since 8 wins was unattainable and PJs first year I will also ignore due to the transition. So really, 5 of the last 8 "normal" seasons have been 8 wins or more. 8 of the last 10 non-Covid seasons have seen bowl berths also. We are in good shape and headed in the right direction.
I’ll agree it’s a hell of a lot better than the previous 30 years, that’s for sure

Chryst is not the guy to lead Wisconsin football into the future, and for the matter, as good of a track record that Alvarez has, time has passed him by as well. I see Illinois on the rise. Minnesota is going to be a factor for quite some time. Iowa with the Ferentz boys are not long for this world at Iowa either. As we look to the future, it’s us and USC winning the BIG west for a while.

I wonder if the Chryst experience is a similar situation of what we would have seen had Claeys remained in charge (although the fall from where Wisconsin has been, is a lot farther than where they Gophers were in 2016). They just strike me as similar guys that know the game really well, but can be questioned about how well they can do at being the "face of the program" and navigating all the recruiting and donor seas.

Another thing to keep in mind is Wisconsin is far from dead. I refuse to stick a fork in them until they are officially dead. There have just been far too many temporary dips followed by great seasons, under multiple coaches, through the 00's and 10's to count any chickens as it relates to their program. For now, it is just fun to see them squirm a bit, because they are definitely doing that.

I wonder if the Chryst experience is a similar situation of what we would have seen had Claeys remained in charge (although the fall from where Wisconsin has been, is a lot farther than where they Gophers were in 2016). They just strike me as similar guys that know the game really well, but can be questioned about how well they can do at being the "face of the program" and navigating all the recruiting and donor seas.

Another thing to keep in mind is Wisconsin is far from dead. I refuse to stick a fork in them until they are officially dead. There have just been far too many temporary dips followed by great seasons, under multiple coaches, through the 00's and 10's to count any chickens as it relates to their program. For now, it is just fun to see them squirm a bit, because they are definitely doing that.
I think the most interesting conversation ever would be between Claeys and Chryst. Although a little mid section disparity, I think it would go something like these guys.

1664466416919.png

Chryst is not the guy to lead Wisconsin football into the future, and for the matter, as good of a track record that Alvarez has, time has passed him by as well. I see Illinois on the rise. Minnesota is going to be a factor for quite some time. Iowa with the Ferentz boys are not long for this world at Iowa either. As we look to the future, it’s us and USC winning the BIG west for a while.
People forget Barry Alvarez was 25-25 in conference his last 6 years combined.
He had as many losing seasons (1) as 10 win seasons (1)

Wisconsin fans have an inflated sense of their program because of the 2010-2012 stretch.
They won the conference in 2010 based on the merits of the program and how they build. 2010 is a season they can emulate and have every 2-5 years.

But then in 2011 they got russel Wilson
And then in 2012 they went 4-4 in conference but were lucky to be in a division with two teams on probation that finished ahead of them.

They went to three straight rose bowls but only one of them was repeatable by their traditional methods. So their fan base became a team that thought they were closer to Michigan (or maybe even thinks they’re above Michigan and Ohio state than they are to Iowa and Michigan state.

I would argue as a program structurally is closer to Iowa and Michigan state. Which can still win big. But can’t win big every year.

Chryst has never missed a bowl.
Chryst has made conference title game in 3 of 6 non Covid years:
Chryst has never not had a winning season.
In his 6 non Covid years Chryst is 40-13 in conference as opposed to Alvarez’ 25-25 in his last 6 seasons.

Brett beilema broke wisconsin fans by winning two big ten titles they traditionally wouldn’t have won and inflating expectations. I suspect that may be why he went to Arkansas too.

Last edited:

Why is someone like that allowed to broadcast for Big 10 basketball? Completely unprofessional.

Also Illinois has a decent coach unfortunately. Honestly Chryst is as boring as it gets. Don’t think Leonard will turn them around either.
I think he does a good job for BTN

I think he does a good job for BTN
Probably does do a good job. Can’t imagine that many broadcasters that have a complete meltdown on a radio show/podcast like that especially for a sport they didn’t play.

Wisconsin fans have an inflated sense of their program because of the 2010-2012 stretch.
They won the conference in 2010 based on the merits of the program and how they build. 2010 is a season they can emulate and have every 2-5 years.

And then in 2012 they went 4-4 in conference but were lucky to be in a division with two teams on probation that finished ahead of them.

They went to three straight rose bowls but only one of them was repeatable by their traditional methods. So their fan base became a team that thought they were closer to Michigan (or maybe even thinks they’re above Michigan and Ohio state than they are to Iowa and Michigan state.

I would argue as a program structurally is closer to Iowa and Michigan state. Which can still win big. But can’t win big every year.

Chryst has never had a winning season.
In his 6 non Covid years Chryst is 40-13 in conference as opposed to Alvarez’ 25-25 in his last 6 seasons.

Brett beilema broke wisconsin fans by winning two big ten titles they traditionally wouldn’t have won and inflating expectations. I suspect that may be why he went to Arkansas too.
This response delivers.

People are overreacting across the board. It's really tOSU, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama at this point and then tons of parity. (Clemson may not belong either at this point) Yes some other teams may have a good season and make the playoff, but those 4 teams really should be the only fan bases that have a meltdown if they lose a game or have a bad season. With NIL and transfers parity will continue to take over the rest of college football.

Chryst has never had a winning season.

Alvarez went 45-57 in the Big Ten in the 13 seasons they didn't go to the Rose Bowl. I think it shows how important those Rose Bowl wins were. If you win big, the other seasons aren't as big of a deal I guess.

People are overreacting across the board. It's really tOSU, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama at this point and then tons of parity. (Clemson may not belong either at this point) Yes some other teams may have a good season and make the playoff, but those 4 teams really should be the only fan bases that have a meltdown if they lose a game or have a bad season. With NIL and transfers parity will continue to take over the rest of college football.
Yep, as much as I hate the Badgers, they could beat anyone in the Big 10 ten outside of tOSU.

This is a classic meltdown of someone that's had it really easy (being a Badgers fan) and when things get a little tough, act like a child.

It's going to be the same thing once the Packers no longer have a Hall of Fame QB at the helm for the first time in 30 years.
What?? No love for Jordan..?

How many fans from Wisconsin realize that is really disgusting and embarrassing? Especially, when the guy is a former player on the Wisconsin basketball team? Really moronic behavior.
It is embarrassing. What a tool.

Yeah, it was like a skit of sports radio by a bad actor.
Definitely done by someone who knew/planned it would go viral fairly quickly. Must be looking for some attention because the radio show is sucking ass.

Good grief, more ridiculousness from Badger-backers.... Talk about thinking you should be more relevant than you are.

Will Wisconsin Fire Chryst If They Lose To Illinois?

They just continue to be one of the most delusional fan bases there is out there. Just learn to live with it; you're a second tire B1G program that can win 8-10 games a year but spit the bit every time you had a chance to be big time.

Top Bottom