Ben Brust commits to Badgers

EaganGopher

Reaction score
Ben Brust commits to Badgers, per ESPN.

Senior shooting guard Ben Brust committed to the Wisconsin Badgers on Friday, ESPN Chicago's Scott Powers reports.

Brust was released from his letter of intent to Iowa in April following Todd Lickliter's firing. He won an appeal from the Big Ten Conference allowing him to sign with another school within the conference.

"I'm smiling," Brust said. "I'm happy. I can just relax now. Everything fell in place."

Brust chose the Badgers over Boston College, Northwestern, USC and the Hawkeyes.

Definitely a good signing by Wisc....he seems like he'll fit in their system well, unfortunately.

who cares? Double loser-first iowa then BADgers.

Yawn. The fact that Wisky was desperate for a 3* guard who had signed with mid-major Iowa says a lot about their prospects next year.

Yawn. The fact that Wisky was desperate for a 3* guard who had signed with mid-major Iowa says a lot about their prospects next year.

Curious what you think Maverick's signing says about the Gophers' prospects next year?

Regarding Brust, he looks like a real solid prospect who will add some much needed depth in UW's backcourt next season. Losing Diamond Taylor and having Vander Blue de-commit created a pretty sizable hole. Down the road, I could see Brust being a 2-year starter for the Badgers. If his career turns out to be comparable to Jason Bohannon's, that will be just fine by me.

I wonder if all these people that are so negative about Brust have the same feelings for Cody Larson, who also signed with Iowa but is now with Florida.

I don't think anyone is counting on major minutes from Maverick next season. I don't see how this would have much effect on our prospects for next year. Who do Wisconsin fans see taking Bohannon's spot next year?

I don't think anyone is counting on major minutes from Maverick next season. I don't see how this would have much effect on our prospects for next year. Who do Wisconsin fans see taking Bohannon's spot next year?

That is the question that makes Brust so important. UW appears set at PG with Jordan Taylor's growth last season, and the front court should be very solid. Jon Leuer is a candidate for first team all conference, perhaps even player of the year, and Keaton Nankivil, Ryan Evans, Tim Jarmusz, Mike Bruesewitz and Jared Berggren offer depth, flexibility and experience up front. Rob Wilson made some solid contributions last sesaon, but whether or not he's ready to be a starting SG is up in the air. The only other guards on the roster are incoming freshmen Josh Gasser (6'4" combo guard) and Brust. Both should have the opportunity to earn quality minutes. If they can be as solid as Bohannon was his freshman year when he average 15 mpg, UW should be just fine.

Curious what you think Maverick's signing says about the Gophers' prospects next year?

He will be irrelevant to next year. And if he's anything more than a 12th or 13th man the next couple years, it will either mean (a) we fall far short of where I think we should be, (b) we had significant injuries, or (c) he is a remarkable surprise.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel as though Minnesota should lodge a complaint with the Big Ten about this? Sure, Minnesota could have appealed the ruling like Wisconsin (and Northwestern?) did, but the coaching staff must have felt that it wasn't worth pissing off the conference office. But, because of the Big Ten's initial ruling, Tubby Smith missed out on a chance to sit down and talk with Brust face-to-face. He might have just gone to Wisconsin no matter what, as it's closer to his home, but it just really stinks that the Gophers missed out on this kid, and the main reason why they did is because of how the Big Ten (mis)handled the situation.

What is there to complain about? Minnesota did not submit an appeal, Wisconsin and Northwestern did. Each school made its own decision. None of them did anything wrong.

I was pretty sure that Minnesota did appeal the Ben Brust situation, so I Googled it. It looks like Minnesota, along with Wisconsin and Northwestern, made the initial appeal, which failed. It looks like only Wisconsin and Northwestern made the second appeal, which was successful.

"UW, Northwestern and Minnesota joined together to ask the Big Ten for a waiver of that rule, citing that Brust is still in high school and never attended classes or played basketball at Iowa. The academics and eligibility subcommittee of the Big Ten faculty representatives turned down the waiver request.

The UW and Northwestern joined forces again to make one more appeal to the Big Ten that was heard by the conference's 11 faculty reps. Law professor Walter Dickey represented UW."

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_0379c6cc-546f-11df-98e2-001cc4c002e0.html

What is there to complain about? Minnesota did not submit an appeal, Wisconsin and Northwestern did. Each school made its own decision. None of them did anything wrong.

He never said they did anything wrong. The Big Ten's handling of the case is still open for debate.

Top Bottom