Bemidji State Game Thread

gall0249

Reaction score
Since there isn't one, I'll start it.

I know it's early, I know. But still no offensive flow and no shooters have shown up yet. Up 16-12 with just under 8 minutes to play. Also, too sloppy taking care of the ball. Same early mistakes as last year. Hopefully we can clean them up.

Going into the game I was hoping to see very few turnovers and some decent 3-point shooting.

Also, just noticed Andre Hollins' uni has "DRE HOLLINS" on the back. I like that.

Andre isn't shooting the ball well but right now he has 6 assists and 0 turnovers...not bad

30-21 at half

Mbakwe=10 pts and 7 reb, Andre Hollins= 2 pts, 2 reb, 6 assists.

Is it correct that the Gophers haven't been to the line? (listening on the radio)

Yeah, Andre looks to be doing fine.

Currently 1 of 4 on free throws.

nice FG percentage by the Gophs (must be hitting their close in shots)

Elliason is really struggling. The second team definitely needs minutes to improve.

The first team is light years ahead of the second team.

Rodney's shot isn't any prettier this year, but he's perfect from the free throw line.

Final score, Gophers over Bemidji State 71-58. Gophers shot 49% FG, 14% 3pt, 64% FT, and out rebounded 45-23.

Who was guarding Berthene?

Was Berthene (#5) their point guard? And if so, who guarding him because he lead the team in scoring with 21 pts and rebounds with 5?

Was Berthene (#5) their point guard? And if so, who guarding him because he lead the team in scoring with 21 pts and rebounds with 5?
Sampson guarded him most of the time, and Mbakwe also guarded him a little bit. He had a much better shot than anyone on our team tonight! Lakeville North pride haha!

Berthene is a 6'8 kid who would rather sit outside and shoot 3's then go inside. He is a tough match up for Sampson and Mbakwe because he really just sits in one spot the entire time and they aren't used to being out there, so they help on D and didn't get back to him in time. In the NSIC he is average at best because they know how to play him, don't read too much into that at all. Give him credit though for hitting the open shots.

Looking forward to watching the game tomorrow. Big Ten Network is broadcasting it at noon tomorrow, just in case anyone wants to set their DVR.

houstongopher said:
Berthene is a 6'8 kid who would rather sit outside and shoot 3's then go inside. He is a tough match up for Sampson and Mbakwe because he really just sits in one spot the entire time and they aren't used to being out there, so they help on D and didn't get back to him in time. In the NSIC he is average at best because they know how to play him, don't read too much into that at all. Give him credit though for hitting the open shots.

Berthene was what we need Oto to be. Oto was pretty much invisible tonight. A lot of that was because Chip and Elliot were black holes for the second team. I'd like to see Tubby mix up the lineups next week to see some different looks.

[
QUOTE=gall0249;453357]Rodney's shot isn't any prettier this year, but he's perfect from the free throw line.[/QUOTE]

Rodney showed a nice touch from the line. Maybe he should keep his feet on the ground for all his outside shooting.

I'd be happy with Rodney being able to knock down free throws, even if he can't make a midrange jumper. He can be useful as a defensive stopper and slashing threat. It is probably unreasonable to expect major improvements in his jumper this season.

But after 3-point defense was such a huge problem for the team last year, you'd hope that it wouldn't glare it's head in an exhibition game, especially against a player that "sits in one spot the entire time". I would think that the coaches would know this information and would have prepped for it, but it looks like over-helping and leaving guys open behind the arc might be another theme this year.

I doubt Tubby spent hours on film over Bemidji State. I think he just threw his players into the flames to see what he got.

But after 3-point defense was such a huge problem for the team last year, you'd hope that it wouldn't glare it's head in an exhibition game, especially against a player that "sits in one spot the entire time". I would think that the coaches would know this information and would have prepped for it, but it looks like over-helping and leaving guys open behind the arc might be another theme this year.
Or the coaches want guys like Sampson and Mbakwe helping in the paint. You know, that's kind of the job of the big guys.

gall0249 said:

I hope zero time was spent looking a Beaver film.

Was at the game tonight. Hard to be negative but very uninspiring win. Second team did not look good. 3 point defense is still an issue. We do need the practice facility. I give the Beavers credit...I doubt anyone thought the game would be in doubt, but it was.

I liked Colemans aggressiveness and showed an ability to get to the line, but his stroke from the stripe wasn't pretty. Something i believe he struggled with at hopkins also?

Top Bottom