Before halftime ....

nemosgold

Reaction score
was embarrassing! Booing a team that was ahead 21-10. If we didn't get the penalty I could understand trying to score. If we were behind, I could understand trying to score.

The guy blamed not going for points on the opening kick return.

They weren't booing the players, they were booing the playcalling. The players got a standing ovation as they left the field. There's a difference, not that it makes it right. The fans were showing their intelligence with that.

It was booing the playcalling. We were aggressive the whole game then just packed it in.

Applaud the players for great effort absolutely, but that was embarrassing to not take a few shots.

We've seen it a few times. I agree you play carefully unless you get close enough to do some damage, but you've got to at least take a few safe shots to get into scoring position. It seems so anti Brewster like when he does this. I don't like it.

yeah lets take a few shots, that worked out against northwestern last year too

Brewster made the right call. If they'd ended up in Spartans territory (no penalty) you take a shot. As it turned out, conservative was the way to go. Remember, this night aside, your offense is the weakest part of your game.

You don't give away momentum at the half, at home. More important than adding to your lead, is NOT letting your opponent cut into yours. Especially if they are getting the ball first in the 3rd Quarter.

They weren't booing the refs at the half, play calling probably. Your team was up 11 at the half, you cheer. The people booing would have been the same people complaining if we would have thrown a pick-six or turned the ball over to MSU.

By the way if you go back and watch the film I think only two of the calls are worthy sending into the Big Ten office. The LB PI and Stodumire's celebration penalty. The hits out of bounds, tackles on offense, movement and delays are easy calls.

I'm sorry I thought he meant the stretch of booing after we got called for a penalty that gave MSU a 1st Down in our territory. They booed for like 3 minutes strait while MSU had the ball it was funny as hell........

We were a joke in the first half. Just like everybody else involved in the game.

I think the thinking was that the Gophs had scored on two long bombs to that point, why not take a couple of shots? It was the right call, but I think people regardless of the score always want to see Madden-video game style football where you call a Hail Mary and bomb it out.

Not me, I think a big bomb with time running out is ok, there is only one way to get hurt and highly unlikely. But mostly I want to see some ten yard strikes or runs that have a decent chance of getting ten, and see if we can't move into better position to where we have a shot at a FG or better. I understand the thought, you don't want to give the ball back no matter what, so maybe there is no way to accomplish that with a pass. So maybe we're just expecting too much.

We were booing the coaches. Not the players. If you had any common sense you'd know that. Also 90+% of schools would do that if they're team ran out the clock with over a minute left without at least one shot down field.

I was extremely happy to go into halftime with the 11 point lead and not mess things up. With such a long field to go and not that much time, why not just head into the locker room with a good lead rather than giving them some momentum by having them intercept a deep bomb or playing some good defense.

I was extremely happy to go into halftime with the 11 point lead and not mess things up. With such a long field to go and not that much time, why not just head into the locker room with a good lead rather than giving them some momentum by having them intercept a deep bomb or playing some good defense.

Because 18 points is a heck of a lot better.

Because going for a three possession lead is putting your foot to their throat. With the way NCAAFB clock rules work with clock stoppages after first downs there's no reason to coach scared there.

i think most people would have liked to see the coaches be more aggressive there, but the point is it is bad taste to boo your own coach's decision when the team is up 11.

When those boos came, you should have seen the face Tripplett made at the crowd, he was pissed.
Pretty sad that the team had to endure boos on the way to the tunnel, regardless of the ovation they got when they got there.

I've always understood the football wisdom to be that if you're getting the ball to start the 2nd half you basically run out the clock and take the 11 point lead into the locker room. Since MSU deferred to receive in the 2nd half we should have at least tried to press it downfield. If nothing else get into position for a FG.

As it turned out, it didn't take long after halftime for us to only be up by 4, so I'm not sure being conservative was the way to go.

When those boos came, you should have seen the face Tripplett made at the crowd, he was pissed.
Pretty sad that the team had to endure boos on the way to the tunnel, regardless of the ovation they got when they got there.

I agree. Ridiculous. Glad Tripplett was pissed. As he should be. The people booing obviously forget how easy it would be to have the lead go from 11 to 4 quickly. You are at home and had a great half so you run a play and if you get a long one then you maybe try and get a FG or TD.

I think some will just never be happy and love to be whining about something.

I agree. Ridiculous. Glad Tripplett was pissed. As he should be. The people booing obviously forget how easy it would be to have the lead go from 11 to 4 quickly. You are at home and had a great half so you run a play and if you get a long one then you maybe try and get a FG or TD.

I'm with you too. Triplett has every right to be upset with that crowd reaction.

If Weber throws a pick-6, what would these people have said then? They would have complained that we didn't sit on the ball.

Exactly. I too was jerked when a good number of fans in my section were booing. The chances of getting into position to score from that spot and time on the clock is low. If the fans have been watching, Brewster has a record of playing it very conservative in those situations which I agree with.

That's why they are fans, uniformed at best, rather than football coaches.

I was booing at the time too, but I was booing the refs call for a late hit out of bounds on our interception. If they hand't thrown the flag , we get the ball rigth at mid-field with a minute and a half left in the first half and THEN I think you would have seen a whole different set of plays called to get us into scoring position. I watched over and over again on Tivo and never saw any late hit on that interception over in front of the Gopher bench.

I saw Brewster's face and he looked pissed as well. They did exactly what they should have done at the end of the first half. Fans always want the bomb..

Why would they have needed a bomb? They had 2 timeouts and a little over a minute on the clock. Clock stops on 1st Downs in college... what more do you need? Weber was throwing the ball effectively and as long as he was smart with it, we could've easily put ourselves in position to at least get 3 points if not more. Pick up 10-12 yards or even 7 or 8 at a time and you have more than enough time to go and get a score before half.

Because going for a three possession lead is putting your foot to their throat. With the way NCAAFB clock rules work with clock stoppages after first downs there's no reason to coach scared there.

Everyone rips on Weber week in and week out. They all but want his head on a stake. Yet, everyone booed Brewster's decision when he didn't ask him to have Weber force some throws. We were winning at half... maybe Brew was showing his defense that he had some faith in them. Just think, a pick six plus that kickoff return TD and we lose all momentum and maybe the game. Anyways, we won the game!

Everyone rips on Weber week in and week out. They all but want his head on a stake. Yet, everyone booed Brewster's decision when he didn't ask him to have Weber force some throws. We were winning at half... maybe Brew was showing his defense that he had some faith in them. Just think, a pick six plus that kickoff return TD and we lose all momentum and maybe the game. Anyways, we won the game!

How does it matter who the QB is? I'd rather see Stupito in at QB and try to score with 1:05 and 2 TO's than surrendering what could easily be 7 points the way we moved the ball in that first half/game.

Why would they have needed a bomb? They had 2 timeouts and a little over a minute on the clock. Clock stops on 1st Downs in college... what more do you need? Weber was throwing the ball effectively and as long as he was smart with it, we could've easily put ourselves in position to at least get 3 points if not more. Pick up 10-12 yards or even 7 or 8 at a time and you have more than enough time to go and get a score before half.

Was kidding about the bomb, but the point is the same. Have you watched the team the last few years? The odds of a turnover happening is too good to risk with a eleven point lead. Every coach would agree. I wouldn't mind trying a screen on first down to see what happens, but with our luck a pass anywhere else gets picked and MSU now has a chance to score. It happens to everyone but especially us.

Top Bottom