Beau Allen says Gophers lead, TCF Bank Stadium is "amazing, so cool, etc."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

“TCF Bank Stadium is really something,” defensive lineman Beau Allen said. “I think that’ll be a great recruiting tool because it’s amazing. It’s just so cool. It’s open air. And it feels like an old school stadium but has all the latest technology with two huge boards and high tech turf and everything.” The Gophers now lead slightly over Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford, Nebraska and Notre Dame.

Beau Allen, the 6-foot-3, 292-pound defensive tackle from Minnetonka Senior High School in Minnetonka, Minn., finished his junior season with 47 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks, three fumbles caused and two fumbles recovered.
“I think one thing I have over some guys is experience,” Allen said. “I’ve been on varsity since my freshman year and I’m a good leader.”

In addition to being a leader, Allen is also a well-rounded athlete. He benches 335-pounds and has a 26-inch vertical jump.

“I have very good technique,” he said. “I’m also mean on the field and I think you need that to be a good d-tackle. I play with a lot of attitude and I’m very physical.

“But I’m always trying to improve,” he said. I’m always working on perfecting my technique and my footwork. I know that for college I’ll have to get a lot better. I also really want to get better at the pass rush.”

Allen says he has scholarship offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford and Nebraska and lists those as his top five. The Gophers now lead slightly and he also likes Notre Dame even though the Irish haven’t offered yet.

“I attended their junior day,” he said. “It was a lot of fun. Notre Dame has really impressive tradition.

“They didn’t have a defensive line coach when I was there but it was still good,” Allen said. “I got to talk with defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta, so that was cool.”

Another thing that stands out about the Irish is their strength and conditioning program. “They have a great strength coach and I love their weight room,” he said. “That’s really important to me.”

Allen has already had a busy winter and besides attending the Notre Dame Junior Day, he also experienced junior days at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.

“Minnesota is only about 15 minutes away,” Allen said. “It’s just a quick drive but I don’t think that’ll matter. I do want to go where there’s at least some exposure so if my friends and family can’t see me play in person at least they’ll be able to see me on TV.”

Proximity as well as the Gophers' new stadium are working in their favor. “TCF Bank Stadium is really something,” he said. “I think that’ll be a great recruiting tool because it’s amazing. It’s just so cool.”

But what exactly makes the new TCF Bank Stadium “so cool?”

“It’s open air,” he said. “And it feels like an old school stadium but has all the latest technology with two huge boards and high tech turf and everything.”

Although Allen says he didn’t follow a specific school growing up, if he had it would have been Wisconsin. “I have an uncle who played there and my mom is from Wisconsin,” he said. “Actually both my parents went there.

“I’ve just been around them my whole life and have spent a lot of time in Wisconsin too,” Allen said. “I really like that it’s a tradition-rich program and Camp Randall Stadium is pretty nuts on game day.”

Another tradition-rich program on Allen’s list is Nebraska. “They are definitely on track,” he said. “They are doing great. They were the latest school to offer me so I don’t really know the coaches that well yet, but they seem pretty impressive. My mom really likes coach Bo Pelini…as she says, ‘he’s a hard ass.’”

Allen also attended the Iowa Junior Day. “I camped at Iowa last summer so I knew what to expect,” he said. “I really like their coaches a lot. The d-line coach (Rick Kaczenski) is psycho and that’s exactly the kind of defensive line coach I want.”

The only school in his top six that he hasn’t visited yet is Stanford. “I’m really looking forward to visiting them,” Allen said. “I’ve never been to California and I think I’m ready to check it out.”

But Beau isn’t the only one in the household who wants to visit Stanford. “My brother is really smart and he was a national merit scholar and he wants to visit them too. I think this summer we’ll all go on a visit there.”

Besides taking a trip to Palo Alto, Allen says he may attend two or three camps as well. “I’m not for sure though,” he said. “I definitely don’t want to miss any time with my team or any workouts. That’s my main priority for the summer.”

“I think I’m gonna take my time making a decision and take my visits,” he said. “These days a lot of kids commit and decommit and I don’t want to do that. I don’t plan on making a commitment until after my senior season.”

Allen reports a 3.3 core GPA and is taking the ACT on April 4.

Go Gophers!!

All Nebraska has to do is get him there at their spring game with 80,000 fans and he won't be able to say no. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's nice that we're in the lead, but it sounds like not by much. If he goes somewhere else I'd rather he went to Nebraska or Stanford than any of the other schools. The thing is, he's both an athlete and a decent student, something that is always welcome. I hope he decides to be a Gopher!!

Nebraska really wants him. I hope we can beat them out for him.

All Nebraska has to do is get him there at their spring game with 80,000 fans and he won't be able to say no. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This line again? I know seeing that would make a huge impact on anyone, but if this were the sole factor Nebraska would land a lot more talent. I'd be more worried about his mom loving Pelini.

I wouldn't exactly count out the Badgers. Plenty of connections there.

Wait until he sees 15,00 people wearing purple and white at Minnesota's spring game. That'll show him...

Most of these comments really are not necessary. The kid comes out publicly acknowledging Minnesota being in the lead, and all you can do is post something negative, or at best - sarcastic. Keep your mouth shut if you can't say anything good.

I myself found it to be an enjoyable article. To be in the lead now, likely means to be in consideration when the time comes to make the decision. Btw, smart kid, no worries on eligibility.

Most of these comments really are not necessary. The kid comes out publicly acknowledging Minnesota being in the lead, and all you can do is post something negative, or at best - sarcastic. Keep your mouth shut if you can't say anything good.

I myself found it to be an enjoyable article. To be in the lead now, likely means to be in consideration when the time comes to make the decision. Btw, smart kid, no worries on eligibility.

agreed, there has been a lot of negativity around here lately. even more than normal.

i have no doubt that recruits read this board, and these snippy, negative comments only cement the stereotype of minnesota fans.

Nice to hear we're making a positive (very positive) impression with Allen. He's a key recruit.

Memo on Notre Dame

What Catholic School has the best record over the past ten years?

Boston College

Seems like we heard far less praise last year at this time from Rashede Hageman and we wound up with him. I think the fact Allen has named us as even a slight leader is a big thing. This is especially true because he's seen all of the campuses now for whom he has offers- Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa.

I wouldn't exactly count out the Badgers. Plenty of connections there.

The Badgers are done recruiting Minnesota for now. Done. The term "death spiral" comes to mind for that entire program until that fat, turkey-necked a-hole is flushed out. Allen is not going to Wisconsin. Neither is Henderson or Tobi O. Nebraska (and even Iowa) is a far bigger threat.

Besides (currently) being able to get more people in the stands then we do, what does Nebraska have that we don't? Sure the area residents have very little else to focus on and thus focus on college football more, but ignoring the game day doesn't Minnesota have a lot more to offer? Academics appear to be similar and I'll ignorantly assume we're slightly ahead. Tubby is taking the basketball team well ahead of Nebraska, so you can watch good hoops and good hockey here as a student. We have good clubs, all of the major sport teams, and we get better bands.

Looking long-term, a graduate at Minnesota has great opportunities to succeed financially in our local business community and that includes phenomenal internship opportunities.

My impression of Nebraska people is that they're nice and it's a good school so I'm not trying to be mean or too biased, but I think a good sales person (Brewster) should be able to adequate differentiate ourselves.

Besides (currently) being able to get more people in the stands then we do, what does Nebraska have that we don't? Sure the area residents have very little else to focus on and thus focus on college football more, but ignoring the game day doesn't Minnesota have a lot more to offer? Academics appear to be similar and I'll ignorantly assume we're slightly ahead. Tubby is taking the basketball team well ahead of Nebraska, so you can watch good hoops and good hockey here as a student. We have good clubs, all of the major sport teams, and we get better bands.

Looking long-term, a graduate at Minnesota has great opportunities to succeed financially in our local business community and that includes phenomenal internship opportunities.

My impression of Nebraska people is that they're nice and it's a good school so I'm not trying to be mean or too biased, but I think a good sales person (Brewster) should be able to adequate differentiate ourselves.

Minnesota does have a ton to offer a recruit both academically and athletically. I think what we will have to compete with in regards to Nebraska will be their game day experience, fan support, facilities, etc.. They have sold out every game in a 80000 plus seat capacity stadium since 1973. The players are treated like gods in the state, the A.D. is one of the greatest coaches of all time and also one of the most respected and nicest guys in the business. In addition, Pelini is truly loved by his players(as I believe Brewster is as well) and treated like a rock star in the state. Especially for a defensive player he is well received because of the tremendous successes he has had as a coordinator on that side of the ball previously, in addition to the aggressive style that he plays which is very appealing to some recruits.. They are definitely beginning to recruit very well in the state of Texas in particular where I believe the majority of their most recent class was from that state. In regards to their facilities, they just did a major addition on the stadium a few years ago called the osborne complex which is pretty amazing as they upgraded the weight training area, have a heisman tropy room which is pretty cool, and upon entering are greeted by the national championship trophies. From an academic perspective for an athlete they have always been one of the leaders in athletic support services for the athletes which is why they lead the nation in Football Academic All-Americans by a pretty large margin. Do I think Brewster and Minnesota can compete, yes and TCF will make it easier. I just wanted to share what they have to offer as someone who grew up in Lincoln.

It seems that Bo Pellini is trying to re-establish what Bob Devaney started and Tom Osborne continued in Lincoln, which is making the 'Huskers siimply "it" in Nebraska. That can be heady stuff.

As per an earlier poster's comment, I don't think Allen is overrated at all. If anything, I think he may be a bit underrated.

GopherGod, thanks for the good summary on Nebraska. You've summarized my impressions well of Nebraska, it has good facilities and a good game day experience and lots of attention on the football team. The gophers will have much better facilities and a much better game day experience, but Brewster also needs to focus on all of the different things outside of game day to separate ourselves from Nebraska and other schools. Saturday afternoon makes up a very small amount of the school week and college is a really brief moment in someone's life. Minnesota has some really positive attributes to sell when Saturday afternoon is ignored. We need to sell the big picture, because that's one of our strengths.

Top Bottom