Beat Iowa

Yes, it doesn't pay to be particularly optimistic when a team like ours loses a bigger number of veteran players. Our team depends on maturity and experience in our system. Sure, we get some players who are surprisingly good right off the bat but most of our players have to be developed.

I was concerned in the offseason about the losses from the offensive line and the failure to pick up offensive linemen in the portal. I was also concerned about losses throughout the defensive backfield but we were at least picking up some transfer players there. The offensive line had played reasonably well until they were exposed by Michigan. So far the defense has had trouble (ranging from challenging to catastrophic) with any team having a good offense and are dependent on getting turnovers to even stay in the game when they play better teams.
Can you think of anyone on the offensive line or defensive line that could start for Iowa? I can’t - enough said.

Iowa with their current QB very beatable. Will we? As a long suffering MN sports fan, I expect we’ll lose. Would love to be wrong.
Their QB is beatable , so is ours… and our defense doesn’t score/ is questionable.

It’s a bad time as far as beating Iowa goes and having a team that looks like it’s rebuilding / deep in the development hole.

I want to believe they can do it, but it’s too bad offenses, and a substantially superior defense.

Can you think of anyone on the offensive line or defensive line that could start for Iowa? I can’t - enough said.
Are Iowa’s lines good? Their dline was very pedestrian up until the Purdue game.

I have seen this one dozens of times before over the years. Looking at a 24-6 type of win for the Hawkeyes. If Iowa is favored by less than 10 points, it is a pretty safe bet to take Iowa.

this really sucks -- but it's where we are....

I like the Gopher chances in Iowa City on the 21st. Football season is in full swing. It is what it has been through the first half of the season. It will be what it will be through the last half of the season.

I believe the Gopher coach and his staff are fine. I like the players and can also face the fact that this is not a top 25 team this year.

But this team, these coaches have a chance to win some Big Ten games coming up in the next seven weeks. That is an exciting prospect.

Beat the stinking Hawkeyes! Bring home the bacon and let’s have some fun doing it!

I want to believe they can do it, but it’s too bad offenses, and a substantially superior defense.
Iowa’s defense this year is decent.
Penn State scored 31 points on them. And that’s more than Illinois scored on PSU.

This isn’t last year’s Iowa defense. Michigan has a vastly superior defense this year compared to Iowa’s.

Hope Wisc beats Iowa up a bit this weekend. I want the Iowa win in hand, before even thinking about anything else for this season.

Iowa's offense was anemic before the McNamara and Lachey injuries, and after they are even worse. Our defense has not been as consistent as it has in previous years, but still has more than enough firepower to hold up and stay solid for all four quarters here. Taylor's injury feels similar to Mo's Michigan State injury last year before the Purdue game and bye, so I expect him to be ready by then. That's not even to mention is Lindenberg or CrAB are ready (although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Lindenberg just saved his eligibility with half the season gone). I expect a game very similar to last year's, and as such think the game will hang in the balance of keeping the ball in our hands and perhaps taking it away from theirs as well. We had no excuse to lose that game last year, and have even less of one now.

Burns was saying on Gaard podcast that he is very confident Lindenberg will be back for Iowa.

We’re putting so much pressure on this game. Making the entire season, if not Fleck’s continued tenure, be about it.

Think fans will start burning things if we don’t get it.

Burns was saying on Gaard podcast that he is very confident Lindenberg will be back for Iowa.

We’re putting so much pressure on this game. Making the entire season, if not Fleck’s continued tenure, be about it.

Think fans will start burning things if we don’t get it.

Don’t know what some fans might do either positively or negatively. Surprise me? Sometimes yes…sometimes no.

I have been all over the board myself as a fan. Defended Mason,Tracy, even Wacker. Was hostile to lou hoax ( after he left the team after 1 &11/12ths seasons.) Was/ always will be a “neverBrewster” person. Bad-mouthed “prexy b/macturi and another AD or two. Guilty as charged on all counts.

But passionate.
At times too much so.
Banned: still this banned fan played on…
Always a Gopher football fan though.

I just think this Gopher team is Not going to lay down and die or quit or be anything but ready to compete, play a good ball game in Iowa city and leave it all on the field and make me damn proud of being maroon & gold spirited through and through: proud to be a Minnesota Gopher fan. Win or lose.

I just think the coach, his staff and this team have a lot of the kind of spirit to bring to the rest of this 2023 Big Ten Season everything that has made me fortunate enough to be a proud Gopher fan.

Finally: Coach Fleck has put together Big Ten wins at a rate I have not seen since Murray Warmath. He deserves respect. It has been his Big Ten wins that won me over after being a real skeptic when he first arrived. Coach Fleck is a REAL Big Ten coach. Minnesota has not been an easy place for a U of M football coach to earn his stripes.

This old Gopher fan now in his 76th year is thankful for every Big Ten win coach Fleck has on his U of M coaching resume

Beat the stinking Hawkeye, Gopher!

Last edited:

I think both Quinn Carroll and Ersery would start for Iowa. Maybe Boe.

It's easy to get caught up in sports media's love for fixating relentlessly on losing streaks.

It's good to remember that all such streaks eventually come to and end, and to celebrate like crazy when they do.

Top Bottom