Beamer - Bonehead

spermophilus

Reaction score
So . . . you throw a pass on 3rd with a 4 pt lead, w/ 1 minute left, when your opponent is out of timeouts?

Mind-numbing.

Well, turns out Boise didn't need the 40 or so seconds that a running play would've taken off the clock. Obviously you don't know that it would play out the same way but I'd say Frank thought (and in this case was right) that he needed the first down.

No Defending Tha Decision Making By The Hokies

Well, turns out Boise didn't need the 40 or so seconds that a running play would've taken off the clock. Obviously you don't know that it would play out the same way but I'd say Frank thought (and in this case was right) that he needed the first down.

The chances of scoring a TD with 25 secs left, given the added stress/pressure on BSU, are greatly diminished.

PLUS, why did they snap the ball with 20 secs left on the play clock at around the 2:00 ,inute mark.

HORRIBLE clock management.

I just don't understand it.

The chances of scoring a TD with 25 secs left, given the added stress/pressure on BSU, are greatly diminished.

PLUS, why did they snap the ball with 20 secs left on the play clock at around the 2:00 ,inute mark.

HORRIBLE clock management.

I just don't understand it.

Going for the 2-pt conversion after the TD they scored in the THIRD quarter cost them as well. It's pretty common knowledge that "the sheet" that almost every coach goes by says you just don't go for 2-pt conversions until at least a few minutes into the 4th quarter.

They kick that XP, then they're driving for the winning FG at the end of the game instead of just the tie. Granted, it didn't matter, but it was still a big mistake at the time

There were 2 min and 5 sec left on VT's 3rd down pass, not 1 min.

Thank you for correcting the OP - I was about to. One minute left, yes, you run. With a full two minutes left, I have no problem throwing and trying to put the game away for good.

Va Tech lost the game with the multitude of mistakes they made in the first 10 minutes of the game.

PLUS, why did they snap the ball with 20 secs left on the play clock at around the 2:00 ,inute mark

I deleted the game from my DVR but if you are talking about how they managed the clock on the final series of downs, Boise used timeouts on both first and second downs - so the clock was not running on either of those snaps. Can't recall how they snapped it before that.

2:05 left - 3rd & 8
running play takes 35- 45 seconds off the clock.
1:20 - 1:30 left - 4th & 6 (assuming a 2-yard gain on the previous play)
punt takes 10 seconds off the clock
BSU gets it with 1:10 to 1:20 left - which was seemingly sufficient time to score aince BSU only took 33 seconds to score.

so, unless VT got the 1st down, there is no situation I can imagine that would leave BSU with less than 55 seconds left.

There were some little things that the VT staff could have done better, but hand it to the BSU staff and players - they did most of the little things perfectly.

After 7+ years as a serious doubter, I have to say that I now firmly believe Boise State is the real deal. The question I have is how can they be so good so consistently? What can we learn from them?

Just imagine the reaction in the Twin Cities if Brewster managed the clock the same way.

Just imagine the reaction in the Twin Cities if Brewster managed the clock the same way.

To true, but we really don't have to imagine. Green, Tice, Mason and Childress did those kind of things many time before with quite a reaction from the fans!

Top Bottom