Beal is taking a medical leave from the team; Jacques & Garin graduating & moving on

I'd like to see Mottla get rewarded with a scholie for his senior season. He was solid last year until the injury.

He definitely deserves it. I had heard (I can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere) that he was one of those walk-ons who got awarded a scholarship for the year last year when someone left the program post-signing day. That stuff rarely gets reported, but I believe Mottla was technically on a scholarship this year (even though he wasn't made into a "scholarship" player), kind of like Wettstein.

I don't have any inside poop, but I think you're wrong. Sid can barely hear or talk, but he still thinks clearly and he's still doing his own thing.

I believe you are correct. I was sitting directly behind Dick Vitale at Gophers/Michigan game and there was old Sid tapping Vitale on the shoulder while he was still on the air. It was pretty hilariousl. Vitale was kind of giving him the wait signal and Sid just didn't quite get it. Sid had his old recorder and miscrophone from the 70's as well.

Gopherprof

A few weeks ago. Don't know the deal, but he's not on the roster anymore.

And Killjoy, we have 4 spots. If you're using MV's scholarship grid, he's not counting Beal as gone yet, but it's as good as done.

Thanks Gopherprof - I try to keep a current scholarship grid myself and have used MV's grid to audit my grid for accuracy. When MV moved to the Daily Gopher he also moved his scholarship grid over there. I did look at his grid on the Daily Gopher a week or two ago and at that time his grid showed one less scholarship player than mine did. That was because he wasn't certain as to whether Aaron Hill was still on scholarship, but I assumed he still was. The problem is that I can no longer find MV's grid at the Daily Gopher blog. If anybody can tell me how to access MV's grid now at the Daily Gopher I would love to be able to determine what the difference is. It isn't Beal because I have removed him from my grid. I have found that in the past MV has been the best source for, hopefully, accurate scholarship information. Thanks for the info.

I don't see how we talk about recruiting and rewarding walk-ons if we don't at least give the contributing players scholarships in their senior years. Balancing the classes is great and all, but we could sign 17 kids and reward a few walk-ons that have earned it. It's just one year, and frankly we'll need some of those scholarships next year too, considering how small this class of seniors currently is.

I sympathize with those who want to maximize new recruits but, philosophically, I agree with you. And you may be happy to know that, reportedly anyway, a walk-on was recently converted to a 'scholarship player' starting this spring. Maybe Kill will confirm this Sunday if asked. Hope that helps. Thanks.

According to the link, before the grid, Bob Bobek gets a schollie in 2013, which has been said elsewhere. Question: Bobek is a transfer from Ohio State. I thought transfers within the conference are not eligible for a scholarship at another conference school. Has there been a rule change concerning scholarships for transfers within the conference?

Go Gophers!!

Mystery Solved

A few weeks ago. Don't know the deal, but he's not on the roster anymore.

And Killjoy, we have 4 spots. If you're using MV's scholarship grid, he's not counting Beal as gone yet, but it's as good as done.

I did compare my grid with MV's grid from the site below per go4rube and found my mistake. The problem was that I had removed Beal from the grid but I neglected to remove his scholarship from the total for the class of 2013. There were a couple of other interesting things that I also noticed. The first is that MV, like myself, now has Aaron Hill on scholarship. The second is that MV's grid has J. Baltazar listed as a CB while the official roster has him at linebacker. Does anybody know who is correct?

The good news is that presently we have 4 available scholarships per MV.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

I did compare my grid with MV's grid from the site below per go4rube and found my mistake. The problem was that I had removed Beal from the grid but I neglected to remove his scholarship from the total for the class of 2013. There were a couple of other interesting things that I also noticed. The first is that MV, like myself, now has Aaron Hill on scholarship. The second is that MV's grid has J. Baltazar listed as a CB while the official roster has him a linebacker. Does anybody know who is correct?

The good news is that presently we have 4 available scholarships per MV.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

We have a Joey Balthazor on our team (walk on LB).
We also have a Jeremy Baltazar on our team (CB).

Maybe that's the confusion.

We have a Joey Balthazor on our team (walk on LB).
We also have a Jeremy Baltazar on our team (CB).

Maybe that's the confusion.

Thanks - LOL - I should have figured that out. I thought I had made a spelling mistake.:confused:

Thanks Gopherprof - I try to keep a current scholarship grid myself and have used MV's grid to audit my grid for accuracy. When MV moved to the Daily Gopher he also moved his scholarship grid over there. I did look at his grid on the Daily Gopher a week or two ago and at that time his grid showed one less scholarship player than mine did. That was because he wasn't certain as to whether Aaron Hill was still on scholarship, but I assumed he still was. The problem is that I can no longer find MV's grid at the Daily Gopher blog. If anybody can tell me how to access MV's grid now at the Daily Gopher I would love to be able to determine what the difference is. It isn't Beal because I have removed him from my grid. I have found that in the past MV has been the best source for, hopefully, accurate scholarship information. Thanks for the info.
It's under "Library". I reference it all the time.

According to the link, before the grid, Bob Bobek gets a schollie in 2013, which has been said elsewhere. Question: Bobek is a transfer from Ohio State. I thought transfers within the conference are not eligible for a scholarship at another conference school. Has there been a rule change concerning scholarships for transfers within the conference?

Go Gophers!!

Here you go, DL...

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/55832/intraleague-transfers-on-the-rise-in-big-ten

"Beginning with the 2011-12 academic year, athletes transferring within the Big Ten can receive scholarships from their new schools as long as they receive their full release.

Bobek won't be on scholarship until January only because Minnesota is at its limit for the season. But if Minnesota had room for him right now, he could receive aid."

Here you go, DL...

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/55832/intraleague-transfers-on-the-rise-in-big-ten

"Beginning with the 2011-12 academic year, athletes transferring within the Big Ten can receive scholarships from their new schools as long as they receive their full release.

Bobek won't be on scholarship until January only because Minnesota is at its limit for the season. But if Minnesota had room for him right now, he could receive aid."

That was the plan and he is on scholarship now. If a scholarship is over in the fall it does become available for the spring semester. This is the situation that the USC coach, Lane Kiffin, found himself this past winter when a recruit expected to start at that time but couldn't because the layer who was scheduled to graduate this past fall didn't and had to continue to go to school this spring. As a result USC lost the recruit. Minnesota had the same situation for this spring semester when four new recruits enrolled. In order for that to happen, the number of scholarships being used needed to be at 81 scholarships or less. Only if that was the case could all four of the recruits matriculate.

Top Bottom