Beal is taking a medical leave from the team; Jacques & Garin graduating & moving on

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Beal is taking a medical leave from the team; Jacques & Garin graduating & moving on

per Sid:

• Brendan Beal, the Gophers linebacker who has had one knee problem after another, having torn his ACL three times, is taking a medical leave from the team. Everyone else on the Gophers with eligibility left will return except for defensive ends Matt Garin and Eric Jacques, who are graduating and moving on.

• Andre McDonald, the Gophers wide receiver from Hopkins who was ranked with the top recruits of the 2012 class but was suspended before the bowl game, is in school and is expected to be ready to play next fall.

• All four of the Gophers football recruits who were scheduled to start school Tuesday showed up, enrolled and will be able to take part in spring practice. This group includes quarterback Chris Streveler of Marion (Ill.) Central Catholic; defensive end Hendrick Ekpe of Lewiston, Texas, who joins brother Scott on the team; Damien Wilson of Jones County (Miss.) Junior College, who was named linebacker of the year in his conference; and linebacker Jordan Hinojosa, who signed in 2011 but had to go to Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College for academic reasons.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/188146181.html

Go Gophers!!

I feel bad for Beal, but it was probably for the best. This adds 3 scholarships, correct?

I feel bad for Beal, but it was probably for the best. This adds 3 scholarships, correct?

Exactly what I was wondering.

P.S. Congrats to Garin and Jacques for receiving their degrees! Even though they didn't get on the field much, they are walking away with a degree from a great university!!

It's Sid...I'm surprised he didn't confuse him with the hoops team and call him Jordan Hollins.

So what was the deal with Garin? He looked sort of small whenever I saw him on TV, but then I forgot he was even on the team? Was he injured?

#49?

So what was the deal with Garin? He looked sort of small whenever I saw him on TV, but then I forgot he was even on the team? Was he injured?

#49?

I never thought of Garin as undersized, I think his problem was that he struggled with instincts and he wasn't overly athletic. He was really not a good fit for Kill's system (more athletic DE's). I think he just wasn't a great athlete and not a terrific fit for the defense.

He's supposedly a really good guy, Doogie had a great piece on him. Good luck to him!

I'm kind of surprised by Jacques, he got a bit of playing time and was probably going to be fighting to be in the two deeps.

Malcolm Moulton is already gone, so Sid is off, but he may only be speaking of voluntary absences.

Currently down to 14 scholarship seniors, barring any walk-ons being rewarded (Engel, Mottla, Henry)

Playing for Coach Kill might be a sumbich. Not in a negative way but in a way that you work, work, work so much that the real world looks easy.

Real shame about Beal. Kid clearly has some ability but his body just won't cooperate with him. Hopefully he has stayed focused in the classroom and is on pace to get a degree of some kind because it just doesn't look like pro football is going to be in his future.

Real shame about Beal. Kid clearly has some ability but his body just won't cooperate with him. Hopefully he has stayed focused in the classroom and is on pace to get a degree of some kind because it just doesn't look like pro football is going to be in his future.

He already has a degree from the Carlson School of Management and is working on his MBA. I believe his present field of study is in something like investment modeling or something close to that. He has prepared himself well and should do just fine.

He already has a degree from the Carlson School of Management and is working on his MBA. I believe his present field of study is in something like investment modeling or something close to that. He has prepared himself well and should do just fine.

That's awesome. You hear so many stories about guys that squander their free ride, glad he has been smart enough to realize he needs to prepare for life after football.

I thought Garin was going to be a piece of the puzzle, but the last time I remember his name being called he had a good defensive play (a sack I think) against NDSU last season that didn't count because he was lined up offsides. That play ended up hurting the Gophers. He didn't turn up much after that.

That's awesome. You hear so many stories about guys that squander their free ride, glad he has been smart enough to realize he needs to prepare for life after football.

One of the main reasons, if not the primary reason he picked The U was the Carlson school. He's a bright kid and knew exactly what he wanted academically.

I think Garin is just another example of the problem with projecting high school kids. When you saw his high school film, you probably thought "Get him up to 240 and he's a productive college DE who is at least a rotation guy in the two-deeps." Problem is, he was probably "was who he was going to be" in high school and didn't have the physical growth room that some thought he had.

I hope Beal is able to finish most (or all) of his MBA on the U's dime. A Carlson MSA is worth it's weight in gold on the job market. Good luck to you you man. You have prepared yourself well.

I'm assuming these departures will enable us to sign more this year?

I'm assuming these departures will enable us to sign more this year?

That is why Kill is still recruiting hard. Presently with the 15 verbals. With the additional slots that have just opened up we now have 3 slots still open. But all of this can be and is a moving target. The actual number of slots available won't be known until we know (1.) how many of the verbals don't sign or are not academically eligible, (2.) if there are transfers after the spring semester, and/or (3.) if there are any academic causalities before fall semester. I have the impression because of all these factors Kill would like to over sign by as many as 3 to protect himself.

Sid ain't not writin that column no more.

Not true. A. I don't believe it because he still is visible, does his radio show, and goes to all of the games. B. I know someone who works there and he does write his column.

I assume the fact that several others who will never play are not leaving is that they are not ready to graduate?

I'd like to see Mottla get rewarded with a scholie for his senior season. He was solid last year until the injury.

I'd like to see Mottla get rewarded with a scholie for his senior season. He was solid last year until the injury.

He might if he ices his injury. :horse:

I don't pretend to know Kill's plan for balancing the classes, but I would think he'd lean toward signing more players this year than rewarding the walk-ons. The more players he signs this year gets the team closer to balanced classes moving forward.

It's got to be a tough thing to figure out - how do you not reward a guy who has paid his own way and done a lot to contribute to the team, but yet you need to balance that with signing new players.

Malcolm Moulton is already gone, so Sid is off, but he may only be speaking of voluntary absences.

I never saw anything on that. I searched on Google and didn't find anything. When did that happen and what was the deal?

Originally Posted by Gopherprof
I never saw anything on that. I searched on Google and didn't find anything. When did that happen and what was the deal?

The only thing I saw was that he is no longer was listed on the official roster. I don't think they comment on why players are no longer on the team if there was a problem.

A few weeks ago. Don't know the deal, but he's not on the roster anymore.

And Killjoy, we have 4 spots. If you're using MV's scholarship grid, he's not counting Beal as gone yet, but it's as good as done.

I don't see how we talk about recruiting and rewarding walk-ons if we don't at least give the contributing players scholarships in their senior years. Balancing the classes is great and all, but we could sign 17 kids and reward a few walk-ons that have earned it. It's just one year, and frankly we'll need some of those scholarships next year too, considering how small this class of seniors currently is.

Top Bottom